nklr: buyer beware! 58cycle in danville, va

DSN_KLR650
Louklr@aol.com

plastic gas tank?

Post by Louklr@aol.com » Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:10 am

I ride my KLR about 50% off road. I have knobbies, fork brace, Progressive shock on the rear, and progressive springs in the front. It handles the trails ok but I sure would like to trim some of that top heavy weight. I was wondering if anybody has put a plastic tank on (it has to lighter than the steel tank), and if it made any noticeable difference? Lou 97 KLR 01 F650GS [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Danodemotoman

plastic gas tank?

Post by Danodemotoman » Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:48 pm

Somethings can be simple. At the Black Dog d./s ride at Mt Hood OR last year I only filled the tank 1/2 way.. makes a big difference off road and had enough fuel with plenty to spare to the next refueling where again I only filled it approx half way. I am not sure how much but figure the plastic tank won't save that much weight. On an old mx'er yeah it would be worth it. Dan P Grham WA
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Louklr@a... wrote: > I ride my KLR about 50% off road. I have knobbies, fork brace, Progressive > shock on the rear, and progressive springs in the front. It handles the > trails ok but I sure would like to trim some of that top heavy weight. I was > wondering if anybody has put a plastic tank on (it has to lighter than the > steel tank), and if it made any noticeable difference?

mrkane1952

plastic gas tank?

Post by mrkane1952 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:04 pm

Greetings Fellow KLRistas: I knocked a hole in my gas tank, so I request your views on whether to replace it with another steel one ($100 for "new" take-offs at Dual-Star) or to swap to one of the plastic ones ($270 also at Dual-Star.) The Dual Star web page lists the plastic as "off-road" only, and will not accept returns on it. This raises suspicions: If it is a good product, why not the same return policy as other items? Any problems experienced by those of you who have changed to the plastic? Thanks-- M.R. A17

kdxkawboy@aol.com

plastic gas tank?

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:05 am

In a message dated 2003-07-20 9:05:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time, mrkane@... writes:
> Dual-Star.) > > The Dual Star web page lists the plastic as "off-road" only, and will > not accept returns on it. This raises suspicions: If it is a good > product, why not the same return policy as other items? > > Any problems experienced by those of you who have changed to the > plastic? > > Thanks-- > M.R. > A17 > >
The IMS plastic tank on my 95 KLR survived the Ford that killed the bike. They are plenty tough enough. Pat G'ville, Nv [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

dooden

plastic gas tank?

Post by dooden » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:55 am

Or option (3) have the tank repaired, then repaint it. Gotta be a radiator shop or something around that will weld up a fuel tank. Just a though. Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "mrkane1952" wrote: > Greetings Fellow KLRistas: > > I knocked a hole in my gas tank, so I request your views on whether > to replace it with another steel one ($100 for "new" take-offs at > Dual-Star) or to swap to one of the plastic ones ($270 also at > Dual-Star.) > > The Dual Star web page lists the plastic as "off-road" only, and will > not accept returns on it. This raises suspicions: If it is a good > product, why not the same return policy as other items? > > Any problems experienced by those of you who have changed to the > plastic? > > Thanks-- > M.R. > A17

Mark Sampson

plastic gas tank?

Post by Mark Sampson » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:24 am

The Dual Star web page lists the plastic as "off-road" only, and will not accept returns on it. This raises suspicions: If it is a good product, why not the same return policy as other items? I see that disclaimer a lot on a lot of aftermarket stuff-------It's not a question of quality at all-----a lot of mods may not be legal, at least in some states. For instance----doing anything to your carb or exhaust is illegal in all states. And street legal bikes with plastic gas tanks are not allowed to be imported into the USA. KTM gets away with this for some reason I can't recall now---something about the radiator shrouds or something. But------you'll probably get struck by lightning 5 times before getting a ticket for your tank. I'd put it on and not worry about it. Mark Sampson

Judson D. Jones

plastic gas tank?

Post by Judson D. Jones » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:03 am

IMS, who makes the Dualstar tank, will sell you a military-style tank with a screw-on gas cap for $225, shipped. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "mrkane1952" wrote:
> Greetings Fellow KLRistas: > > I knocked a hole in my gas tank, so I request your views on
whether
> to replace it with another steel one ($100 for "new" take-offs at > Dual-Star) or to swap to one of the plastic ones ($270 also at > Dual-Star.) > > The Dual Star web page lists the plastic as "off-road" only, and
will
> not accept returns on it. This raises suspicions: If it is a good > product, why not the same return policy as other items? > > Any problems experienced by those of you who have changed
to the
> plastic? > > Thanks-- > M.R. > A17

mrkane1952

plastic gas tank?

Post by mrkane1952 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:54 pm

>Or option (3) have the tank >repaired, then repaint it. >Gotta be a radiator shop or >something around that will weld up >a fueltank. > >Just a thought. > >Dooden >A15 Green Ape
Radiator shops solder, not weld, but finding a willing one ends up at a cost higher than those $100 take-offs at D-S. If I'm to spend that much, then consideration of the pricier plastic tank makes sense. Finally have a sunny day, so I'll glopp something on to seal 'til I decide on a replacement. Thanks-- M.R.

dooden

plastic gas tank?

Post by dooden » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:37 pm

"radiator shop or something" Frankly the rad shop not far from me does just about anything, but its a little local shop that been doing this for many years. Had a seam split on a steel tank years back we welded it up right there in the garage, drained the tank, filled with water, dumped it after shaking it a bit, refilled tank with more water, turn tank so seam was facing up full to the filler hole and struck a arc to it. Water also helped cool the inside of the tank so surrounded paint was uneffected. Leaky Tank $ Ouch Arc Welder $ 200 Water hose $ 10 Using 1 light welding rod bit of electricity and time $ Priceless with Dad. Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "mrkane1952" wrote: > >Or option (3) have the tank > >repaired, then repaint it. > >Gotta be a radiator shop or > >something around that will weld up > >a fueltank. > > > >Just a thought. > > > >Dooden > >A15 Green Ape > > Radiator shops solder, not weld, but finding a willing one ends up at > a cost higher than those $100 take-offs at D-S. If I'm to spend that > much, then consideration of the pricier plastic tank makes sense. > > Finally have a sunny day, so I'll glopp something on to seal 'til I > decide on a replacement. > > Thanks-- > M.R.

James Greeson

nklr: buyer beware! 58cycle in danville, va

Post by James Greeson » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:33 am

grrrrr If you are familar with the way Ebay works, you know you have to represent what you are selling fairly acurately because your buyer can't touch what they are buying. There is a fair amount of faith that the other person isn't going to be dishonest or will deal with you fairly if things aren't right. I was looking for a pair of frame sliders for a YZF600 project bike and came across this auction: (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&rd=1&category=34284&item=2423984750) that looked pretty spiffy. So I buy them. They show up, and I happily open the box. Errr... the mounting bolts are missing. "Oh well, honest mistake" I think. I send them an email saying the bolts are missing. I get this snotty reply from "Jen" saying I need to take pictures of the parts and the wrapping sticker. Uh ok.... So I do so, and while I'm waiting for a reply. I take the sliders out to the bike to "dry fit" them. Hmmm something seems not right. The sliders base, that should be machined to fit into the socket and act as a spacer between the frame and bolt head, is way to big in diameter, and looks like it was designed for an old GSXR. http://www.knology.net/~ARS/images/boltRside.jpg Ok, if they forgot the bolts, maybe they shipped the wrong sliders too? I get back on the 'puter discribing the problem. I get a terse reply saying no thats the way they are supposed to be. So I go look again (still don't have any bolts). Nope no can do. The slider would sit on the lip of the rather fragile looking mounting bosses. Toss the bike down the road and the slider would take its unsupported bolt and bend it over and probably crack the frame and rip the bolt from the motor. I send an email back explaining my concerns and even sending the above pic illustrating the problem. I get another email from "Jayson Moss" this time saying they are fine and designed for that bike and if I don't like them I can return them for a "store credit" minus 15% "restocking fee". Uh... I don't think so. It amazes me how some people act. And if this is how they act over a measly $60 pair of sliders, I don't think I want any part of dealing with them in the future. Thanks for reading my rant. James