nklr: why i want a klr

DSN_KLR650
jkirby39

tire selection for long road trip

Post by jkirby39 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:48 pm

I, and some friends, are taking a trip to Alaska from southern California. What recommendations do you have for tires that 1) will make the trip (estimate ~8,000 miles), 2) are safe (concerned about slippery roads in Alaska), and 3) are comfortable. Regards

Michael Schaefer

Post by Michael Schaefer » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:09 pm

I'm using the Avon Distanzias right now and I've been very happy with them for 99% of my riding. I have been in situations offroad, when either climbing a big hill or a steep descent, that I wished I had some knobbies. Otherwise, I've plowed through every conceivable riding condition, from mud to sand to ice to snow in those tires and have made it through ok. I'm currently at about 7,000 miles on the tires and they have some tread left on them. I'm thinking the rear will last another 1,000 or so before it's done for. Hope that helps, Michael A11 Dallas
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "jkirby39" wrote: > I, and some friends, are taking a trip to Alaska from southern > California. What recommendations do you have for tires that 1) will > make the trip (estimate ~8,000 miles), 2) are safe (concerned about > slippery roads in Alaska), and 3) are comfortable. > > Regards

Ron Klimoff

Post by Ron Klimoff » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:23 pm

I agree with Michael, I have the Avon Distanzias too, and they are nice tires. I do wish sometimes I had some knobbies up front when climbing rutty hills, but they get the job done. I do most of my riding on the street (75%). If I did more dirt riding, I'd get some knobbies... Ron K Turnersville, NJ A16 --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schaefer" wrote:
> I'm using the Avon Distanzias right now and I've been very happy with > them for 99% of my riding. I have been in situations offroad, when > either climbing a big hill or a steep descent, that I wished I had > some knobbies. Otherwise, I've plowed through every conceivable > riding condition, from mud to sand to ice to snow in those tires and > have made it through ok. I'm currently at about 7,000 miles on the > tires and they have some tread left on them. I'm thinking the rear > will last another 1,000 or so before it's done for. > > Hope that helps, > > Michael > A11 > Dallas > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "jkirby39" wrote: > > I, and some friends, are taking a trip to Alaska from southern > > California. What recommendations do you have for tires that 1) > will > > make the trip (estimate ~8,000 miles), 2) are safe (concerned about > > slippery roads in Alaska), and 3) are comfortable. > > > > Regards

cb750fsuperspor@webtv.net

Post by cb750fsuperspor@webtv.net » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:02 pm

No experience here but I have done my research (lots of reading) about the subject. It seems to me that it would be wise to carry an extra set of tires along with you, tubes, patches, plugs,tire irons, soapy water sprayer & an airpump for a trip to Alaska. If you have to buy a tire up there, chances are that you`ll have to wait a few days before it`s shipped in & it will cost you an arm & leg! But what the hell I know? I don`t even have a KLR yet :(

Gary Charpentier

nklr: why i want a klr

Post by Gary Charpentier » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:58 pm

Good Answer! Add to that the fact it just hoses off and there is nothing to polish, and I think we have a WINNER! I'm gettin' psyched... 23 days and counting. =gc= --- James wrote:
> You aren't getting old, you are becoming wise. Why spend thousands on > speed demon bikes that love to eat licenses and attract extremely > expensive insurance rates, when you can do almost all of it, except > warp speed, on a DS bike? You can wheelie, twisty, explore, commute, > tour, or even ride as an urban guerrilla. The entry fee is at least > half the price. Insurance is much cheaper. Maintenance costs much > less. The amount of items that can break or go wrong is greatly > reduced. To top it all off, you aren't as restricted as someone on a > single purpose built bike would be. > > Getting old, naaaaw. Just my .01.5 > > > Jim Sherlock > Cedar Creek, Texas > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month! http://sbc.yahoo.com