noise restrictions

DSN_KLR650
vstrom03

patching inner tube on bike

Post by vstrom03 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:48 am

Is it possible (within reason) to pry off a tire side in order to do an inner tube repair with the wheel still on bike? Used to do this on bicyles when removing wheel was not practical, but have never done it on a motorcycle like the KLR. My main concern is the ability to fix flat while "on the road" in some kind of reasonable fashion. Tubless tires can be fixed quick with a plug, but what about tubed tires? Am new to this so your help is appreciated. J.R.

Judson D. Jones

Post by Judson D. Jones » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:57 am

I guess it might be possible in theory, but probably more trouble than it's worth. It would be at least inconvenient, possibly impossible to break the bead with the wheel on the bike. Then levering the bead would be awkward at best with swingarm, forks, saddlebag mounts, etc., in the way. To get the bead free for access to the tube it is necessary to push the other bead into the center well of the rim. Just working in that position would be more difficult than laying the whel on the ground to work on it. In all, I think it would add more time than it would take just to remove the wheel, although with practice, you might work out a drill that went quickly and smoothly. Of course, without a single-sided swingarm, you would only be able to patch the tube, not replace it. Having said all that, it has probably been done. Why not try it and see how it goes? --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "vstrom03 " wrote:
> Is it possible (within reason) to pry off a tire side in order to do > an inner tube repair with the wheel still on bike? > Used to do this on bicyles when removing wheel was not practical,
but
> have never done it on a motorcycle like the KLR. > My main concern is the ability to fix flat while "on the road" in > some kind of reasonable fashion. Tubless tires can be fixed quick > with a plug, but what about tubed tires? > Am new to this so your help is appreciated. > J.R.

Thomas J Komjathy

Post by Thomas J Komjathy » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:04 pm

Carry a spare tube for each wheel, and yes you can remove the bead on one side, but.. the wheel still has to be partially removed to get the tube into the tire. TK
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 11:48 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] patching inner tube on bike > Is it possible (within reason) to pry off a tire side in order to do > an inner tube repair with the wheel still on bike? > Used to do this on bicyles when removing wheel was not practical, but > have never done it on a motorcycle like the KLR. > My main concern is the ability to fix flat while "on the road" in > some kind of reasonable fashion. Tubless tires can be fixed quick > with a plug, but what about tubed tires? > Am new to this so your help is appreciated. > J.R. > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:17 pm

If you are on a long, multi-day trip away from civilization, then by all means carry full weight tubes for both wheels. But on a day trip, or anywhere that will be 100mi or so away from help, just a normal weight 21" front tube is all you need. This will work just fine in the rear tire as a temporary repair. Devon Thomas J Komjathy wrote:
> > Carry a spare tube for each wheel, and yes you can remove the bead on one > side, but.. the wheel still has to be partially removed to get the tube into > the tire. > > TK > ----- Original Message ----- > From: > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 11:48 AM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] patching inner tube on bike > > > Is it possible (within reason) to pry off a tire side in order to do > > an inner tube repair with the wheel still on bike? > > Used to do this on bicyles when removing wheel was not practical, but > > have never done it on a motorcycle like the KLR. > > My main concern is the ability to fix flat while "on the road" in > > some kind of reasonable fashion. Tubless tires can be fixed quick > > with a plug, but what about tubed tires? > > Am new to this so your help is appreciated. > > J.R. > > > >

kdxkawboy@aol.com

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:46 pm

To the best of my knowledge enduro, qualifier and other XC riders remove the tire from the bike to patch a flat. If it was easier or faster to leave the tire on the bike I expect they would do it. Pat G'ville, NV In a message dated 2003-02-27 8:50:05 AM Pacific Standard Time, channel.talk@... writes:
> Is it possible (within reason) to pry off a tire side in order to do > an inner tube repair with the wheel still on bike? > Used to do this on bicyles when removing wheel was not practical, but > have never done it on a motorcycle like the KLR. > My main concern is the ability to fix flat while "on the road" in > some kind of reasonable fashion. Tubless tires can be fixed quick > with a plug, but what about tubed tires? > Am new to this so your help is appreciated. > J.R. > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

xt535@aol.com

noise restrictions

Post by xt535@aol.com » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:35 pm

I've listened to the various opinoins, and would like to share mine. I grew up watching and listening to high performance cars of the late 60s and early 70s. Motorcycles in those days were a bit louder on average than they are today except for Harleys...Triumph, BSA, Norton, and the early Yamaha XS650s were music to my ears and still are. My current 2-up ride is a Honda 1100 Shadow Ace Tourer. Its stock exhaust has a pleasant rumble at low speed, but becomes practically silent to me at 55-65mph, and I wouldn't change it. When riding solo I much prefer my XT500. It has a high compression, big bore piston, cam, 38mm carb, and Supertrapp Race Series exhaust. While it is loud at high revs, its pretty mellow at my normal, rural road cruising speed. I Like the sound it makes, but am careful to not be too loud so as to attract too much attention. I feel almost as one with this particular machine, and its real therapy for me to ride...my old BSA 441VS was louder with its stock exhaust. I've heard (the Harley guys in particular)claim "loud pipes save lives", and have been quoted instances. My own experiences with the XT has been to notice deer and cattle taking notice of me, and the deer often turning tail to run. This is good, but I don't have any illusions of my exhaust note being noticed by anyone in a cage. My own noise peeves are bass booming out of other vehicles with all of their windows up, and the exhaust note of an aircooled Volkswagen with stock exhaust. Harleys are OK unless they're ear splitting loud. If I were to do a lot of trail riding, and particularly on public land, I would probably opt for quieter exhaust. Eric Stevens in Pa