2001 klr 650 tires

DSN_KLR650
Greg S

clutch-activated safety/starting switch thingy...

Post by Greg S » Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:31 pm

... Or whatever it's called. You know, whatever it is that allows you to start the bike while in gear as long as the clutch is disengaged. Well, mine's broken. It's been getting worse over time, but now it flat out won't start unless it's in neutral. I don't have any KLR manuals (on my xmas list, so hopefully Santa will bring them) so my question is: what mechanism is used to detect whether the clutch of disengaged? Is it just a simple switch that is part of the clutch lever or is it somewhere inside the engine and actually senses the clutch plates? -Greg

Mark St.Hilaire, Sr

Post by Mark St.Hilaire, Sr » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:26 pm

> ... Or whatever it's called. You know, whatever it is that allows you > to start the bike while in gear as long as the clutch is disengaged. > > Well, mine's broken. It's been getting worse over time, but now it flat > out won't start unless it's in neutral. I don't have any KLR manuals > (on my xmas list, so hopefully Santa will bring them) so my question is: > what mechanism is used to detect whether the clutch of disengaged? Is > it just a simple switch that is part of the clutch lever or is it > somewhere inside the engine and actually senses the clutch plates?
Hi Greg, this should be all the info you need: http://klr6500.tripod.com/safetyswitch.htm Mark KLR650 Motorcycle Pages: http://klr6500.tripod.com/ HomePage: http://home.adelphia.net/~msaint/index.html My Adelphia Email can be "iffy." If you don't get a response, please try: KLR6500@...

Mark St.Hilaire, Sr

Post by Mark St.Hilaire, Sr » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:27 pm

> ... Or whatever it's called. You know, whatever it is that allows you > to start the bike while in gear as long as the clutch is disengaged. > > Well, mine's broken. It's been getting worse over time, but now it flat > out won't start unless it's in neutral. I don't have any KLR manuals > (on my xmas list, so hopefully Santa will bring them) so my question is: > what mechanism is used to detect whether the clutch of disengaged? Is > it just a simple switch that is part of the clutch lever or is it > somewhere inside the engine and actually senses the clutch plates?
Greg, this should be all the info you need: http://klr6500.tripod.com/safetyswitch.htm Mark KLR650 Motorcycle Pages: http://klr6500.tripod.com/ HomePage: http://home.adelphia.net/~msaint/index.html My Adelphia Email can be "iffy." If you don't get a response, please try: KLR6500@...

Thor Lancelot Simon

Post by Thor Lancelot Simon » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:32 pm

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 07:26:29PM -0500, Mark St.Hilaire, Sr wrote:
> > ... Or whatever it's called. You know, whatever it is that allows you > > to start the bike while in gear as long as the clutch is disengaged. > > > > Well, mine's broken. It's been getting worse over time, but now it flat > > out won't start unless it's in neutral. I don't have any KLR manuals > > (on my xmas list, so hopefully Santa will bring them) so my question is: > > what mechanism is used to detect whether the clutch of disengaged? Is > > it just a simple switch that is part of the clutch lever or is it > > somewhere inside the engine and actually senses the clutch plates? > > Hi Greg, this should be all the info you need: > http://klr6500.tripod.com/safetyswitch.htm
I'm a little confused. *Should* I be able to start the KLR if it's in gear but I've got the clutch engaged? I've never been able to do that, and I picked my bike up at the dealership brand-new and allegedly prepped (of course, they didn't adjust the forks, or...) as Kawasaki specifies. In fact, I can't even start my bike if it's in neutral and the clutch is in. Clutch is in, bike doesn't start -- simple as that. Is that or is it not the way it's designed? Thor

Lujo Bauer

Post by Lujo Bauer » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:42 pm

> In fact, I can't even start my bike if it's in neutral and the clutch is > in. Clutch is in, bike doesn't start -- simple as that. Is that or is > it not the way it's designed?
That's not the way it's designed. You definitely *should* be able to start your bike when the clutch lever is depressed. -Lujo [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thor Lancelot Simon

Post by Thor Lancelot Simon » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:51 pm

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 07:41:53PM -0500, Lujo Bauer wrote:
> > In fact, I can't even start my bike if it's in neutral and the clutch is > > in. Clutch is in, bike doesn't start -- simple as that. Is that or is > > it not the way it's designed? > > That's not the way it's designed. You definitely *should* be able to > start your bike when the clutch lever is depressed.
So, basically, if I accidentally turn off the bike with it in 2nd or 3rd tomorrow morning when I get to work, I *should* be able to just pull the clutch lever and hit the starter tomorrow afternoon rather than fighting with the transmission while the bike's off trying to get it into neutral so I can start it. Grrrr. I suspected as much, but the dealer convinced me no... -- Thor Lancelot Simon tls@... But as he knew no bad language, he had called him all the names of common objects that he could think of, and had screamed: "You lamp! You towel! You plate!" and so on. --Sigmund Freud

Greg S

Post by Greg S » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:25 pm

Very interesting, this is how my bike is operating now... "clutch in, bike won't start"... But it wasn't always that way. In fact, I was willing to put it off until yesterday @ the Seattle International Motorcycle Show. I'm in front of a line of bikes inching our way up the parking lot ramp when I stalled it (embarrassing..... But hey, it was *steep* ;^) ). Then it was a pain to get it to shift back into neutral while keeping bike from rolling backwards, etc., etc. So yes, when properly functioning, I should've been able to leave it in 1st, pull the clutch, fire up the motor, and move along as if nothing had happened....
> > In fact, I can't even start my bike if it's in neutral and the > > clutch is in. Clutch is in, bike doesn't start -- simple as that. > > Is that or is it not the way it's designed?

Inire

Post by Inire » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:46 pm

--- Greg S wrote:
> Very interesting, this is how my bike is operating > now... "clutch in, > bike won't start"... But it wasn't always that way. > In fact, I was > willing to put it off until yesterday @ the Seattle > International > Motorcycle Show. I'm in front of a line of bikes > inching our way up the > parking lot ramp when I stalled it > (embarrassing..... But hey, it was > *steep* ;^) ). Then it was a pain to get it to > shift back into neutral > while keeping bike from rolling backwards, etc., > etc. > > So yes, when properly functioning, I should've been > able to leave it in > 1st, pull the clutch, fire up the motor, and move > along as if nothing > had happened.... >
This makes me slightly nuts: I'm so used to the 'safety' switches on bikes and then 'DUH?' when the bike won't start on the KLR with the clutch in (which is natural for most riders IMO). well, guess I better get around to rewiring mine, and then maybe losing that whole rigamarole on the left side. silly stuff. ===== Jeff "My dice hate me!" Miller Gaming to keep War out of RealTime! Help Firefly! Serenity Needs You! http://fireflysupport.com KLR650A7 'SLUF' __________________________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now. http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:18 pm

Greg, Look at the bottom of the clutch lever perch. It incorporates the clutch actuation switch. The switch has a cover held on by two screws which pass through oval holes in the cover. The contact point of the switch is adjusted by sliding the cover back and forth. This adjustment compensates for changes in clutch lever slack. Loosen the screws, move the cover, tighten the screws. Repeat until the motor cranks in gear with the clutch lever pulled in (clutch disengaged). Clint --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Greg S" wrote:
> ... Or whatever it's called. You know, whatever it is that allows
you
> to start the bike while in gear as long as the clutch is disengaged. > > Well, mine's broken. It's been getting worse over time, but now it
flat
> out won't start unless it's in neutral. I don't have any KLR
manuals
> (on my xmas list, so hopefully Santa will bring them) so my
question is:
> what mechanism is used to detect whether the clutch of disengaged?
Is
> it just a simple switch that is part of the clutch lever or is it > somewhere inside the engine and actually senses the clutch plates? > > -Greg

Motorcycle_Dan

2001 klr 650 tires

Post by Motorcycle_Dan » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:29 am

> My question is what is the consensus on street tires.
Tires for the KLR are CHEAP. Most dual sport tires are capable of everything but race speed and lean angles. Get a new set of your favorite dual sport tires and keep on truck'n Dan /|\