re tank bags

DSN_KLR650
Tod Fiste

comfort, vibration: klr650 vs cb750???

Post by Tod Fiste » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:15 pm

I am trying to decide on my next bike (my current/first bike is a Kawasaki EX500 "Ninja") and I could use some help/opinions. Thanks to the lack of practical, economical standards on the U.S. market for the last decade plus, and my budget, I pretty much have it down to a used KLR650 or used Honda Nighthawk 750. 75% of my riding is commuting in the San Fran Bay Area, a combination of city and highway riding. I would like to include touring/long rides in my non-commute riding, something that my EX500 is too uncomfortable for me to enjoy much. I am wondering about vibration on the KLR650 at highway speeds (85 mph on some Bay Area freeways) and overall comfort for long-distance riding. I am particularly interested in any opinions from those who have experience of the KLR650 and the Nighthawk as to how they compare comfort-wise on long trips. The other thing I'm wondering about RE: the KLR650 is how it is to ride on the freeway in windy conditions. It gets REALLY windy around here, especially on some of the bridges and the hills, and I'm concerned about some opinions I've read saying that the height and lightness of the KLR650 make it problematic under these conditions. (Also, if anyone wants to compare the experience of riding an EX500 VS. a KLR650, I'd be grateful. I know they are totally different animals, but I know how much the wind affects the EX500 and I know what vibration feels like on it, so a comparison would help me know what to expect.) Thanks, Tod

RM

Post by RM » Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:49 am

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Tod Fiste wrote:
>Thanks to the lack of practical, economical standards on the U.S. market >for the last decade plus, and my budget, I pretty much have it down to a >used KLR650 or used Honda Nighthawk 750.
What's your budget?
>I am wondering about vibration on the KLR650 at highway speeds (85 mph on >some Bay Area freeways) and overall comfort for long-distance riding.
The KLR will run at those speeds but it isn't much fun. The engine gets vibey, the bike is scary in crosswinds, and it doesn't stop worth a damn unless you throw money at it (an aftermarket line and new pads won't cut it).
>I am particularly interested in any opinions from those who have >experience of the KLR650 and the Nighthawk as to how they compare >comfort-wise on long trips.
Can't comment on the CB750, but the KLR is way more comfy than an "enduro" should be. The ergos are stretched out and the available highway pegs make spending a full day in the saddle not such a bad thing.
>The other thing I'm wondering about RE: the KLR650 is how it is to ride >on the freeway in windy conditions. It gets REALLY windy around here, >especially on some of the bridges and the hills, and I'm concerned about >some opinions I've read saying that the height and lightness of the >KLR650 make it problematic under these conditions.
It is. I never realized how poorly the KLR handles crosswinds until the first time I rode my ZR-7 in a windstorm - I didn't have to detach the saddle from my anus. Based on your intended usage, I think the middleweight standard would be a better choice. RM

Glen Harness

Post by Glen Harness » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:30 pm

----- Original Message ----- From: Tod Fiste To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 10:10 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Comfort, vibration: KLR650 vs CB750??? The other thing I'm wondering about RE: the KLR650 is how it is to ride on the freeway in windy conditions. It gets REALLY windy around here, especially on some of the bridges and the hills, and I'm concerned about some opinions I've read saying that the height and lightness of the KLR650 make it problematic under these conditions. I took my KLR650 out last Saturday on what was probably the last 50+ degree day here in the Nashville area. The wind was blowing 10-15 mph with 25 mph gusts. I ultimately had to cut my ride short because of the wind; was getting blown all over the road. I was on surface streets, so I was traveling at most 50 mph, with most of it being 30 to 40 mph due to traffic. Haven't got up the nerve yet to hit the interstate on the thing yet, so I'm not sure how the bike would have handled at a higher speed. Glen [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:48 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Glen Harness" wrote:
> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Tod Fiste > To: DSN_klr650@y... > Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 10:10 PM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Comfort, vibration: KLR650 vs CB750??? > > > The other thing I'm wondering about RE: the KLR650 is how it is
to ride on
> the freeway in windy conditions. It gets REALLY windy around here, > especially on some of the bridges and the hills, and I'm
concerned about
> some opinions I've read saying that the height and lightness of
the KLR650
> make it problematic under these conditions. > > > I took my KLR650 out last Saturday on what was probably the last
50+ degree day here in the Nashville area. The wind was blowing 10-15 mph with 25 mph gusts. I ultimately had to cut my ride short because of the wind; was getting blown all over the road. I was on surface streets, so I was traveling at most 50 mph, with most of it being 30 to 40 mph due to traffic. Haven't got up the nerve yet to hit the interstate on the thing yet, so I'm not sure how the bike would have handled at a higher speed.
> > Glen
It's a big sail and will catch the wind more than say a Ducati Monster. Tnat said, if you can learn to counterbalance the bike with your body, it's just a busy ride in the wind rather than an impossible one... Stu

monahanwb

Post by monahanwb » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:24 pm

My A3 is so fast I can pass wind on it.

bkowalca

Post by bkowalca » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:13 pm

I think if you are concerned about highway stability, the KLR is not the bike for you only because real street bikes are simply much better on the highway. There is no way a 650 single can match the power and comfort of a 750 4-cylinder bike, thats why the Japanese make them. On the other hand, I don't think a CB750 would do very good in a swampy forest. Bryan K A14
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "monahanwb" wrote: > My A3 is so fast I can pass wind on it.

Glen Harness

Post by Glen Harness » Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:02 pm

> I took my KLR650 out last Saturday on what was probably the last
50+ degree day here in the Nashville area. The wind was blowing 10-15 mph with 25 mph gusts. I ultimately had to cut my ride short because of the wind; was getting blown all over the road. I was on surface streets, so I was traveling at most 50 mph, with most of it being 30 to 40 mph due to traffic. Haven't got up the nerve yet to hit the interstate on the thing yet, so I'm not sure how the bike would have handled at a higher speed.
> > Glen
It's a big sail and will catch the wind more than say a Ducati Monster. Tnat said, if you can learn to counterbalance the bike with your body, it's just a busy ride in the wind rather than an impossible one... Stu

RM

Post by RM » Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:49 pm

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Glen Harness wrote:
>I remember seeing someone post here a few months ago a way to try to >counterbalance the wind. It had to do with sticking your knee out, >depending on which way the wind was coming from. I can't remember which >knee for which direction; I've tried it and I _think_ it helps, but it's >sometimes hard to judge which way the wind is blowing...
I've seen this advice before. I've passed it on to others. (Stick both knees out and the wind will catch the knee that matters) They claim that it helped. It's never done a damn thing for me. RM

ksveader

Post by ksveader » Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:54 pm

Tod, I had a 650 Nighthawk, uppon which the 750 is based. I liked it very much. For touring and 80+ MPH on the highway, it's a great bike, better than the KLR. The KLR gets down-right scarry in high winds: the front end gets realy light, een just from going fast. That being said, I was able to controle it fairly well, with just one and a half seasons under my belt. I did find the Nighthawk a little cramped for my 6 foot 200# self, the KLR is much nicer, and the seat foam was nicer to my but on long rides On the other hand, I LOVE my klr. It vibrates, sure, but not all that bad. It is a better bike for around town, and as has been pointed out, is slightly better on a dirt road or single track trail than a Nighthawk. On the right coast, a couple year old nighthawk can be had for the same price as a couople year old KLR. The KLR's little fairing and windshield give a surprisingly good amount of protection. Of course, the nighthawk can be fitted with an after market fairing or windshield. I had a National Cycle Deflector Shield on mine that worked out rather well. The theam of the list: An XYZ modle bike can do that one thing (or those few things) better than a KLR, BUT a KLR can do every thing, better, in fact, than XYZ bike in every area except for those certain ones. If I had to pick, I think the KLR is the way to go, but either is a great bike wotha huge cult following with knowledgable folks bumping around on the Net. good luck, and let us know whitch one you choose, Ken kveader@... Haverhill MA
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Tod Fiste wrote: > I am trying to decide on my next bike (my current/first bike is a Kawasaki > EX500 "Ninja") and I could use some help/opinions. > > Thanks to the lack of practical, economical standards on the U.S. market for > the last decade plus, and my budget, I pretty much have it down to a used > KLR650 or used Honda Nighthawk 750. 75% of my riding is commuting in the San > Fran Bay Area, a combination of city and highway riding. I would like to > include touring/long rides in my non-commute riding, something that my EX500 > is too uncomfortable for me to enjoy much. > > I am wondering about vibration on the KLR650 at highway speeds (85 mph on > some Bay Area freeways) and overall comfort for long-distance riding. I am > particularly interested in any opinions from those who have experience of > the KLR650 and the Nighthawk as to how they compare comfort-wise on long > trips. > > The other thing I'm wondering about RE: the KLR650 is how it is to ride on > the freeway in windy conditions. It gets REALLY windy around here, > especially on some of the bridges and the hills, and I'm concerned about > some opinions I've read saying that the height and lightness of the KLR650 > make it problematic under these conditions. > > (Also, if anyone wants to compare the experience of riding an EX500 VS. a > KLR650, I'd be grateful. I know they are totally different animals, but I > know how much the wind affects the EX500 and I know what vibration feels > like on it, so a comparison would help me know what to expect.) > > Thanks, > Tod

mnron2002

Post by mnron2002 » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:13 am

Tod, Much has been discussed about wind, and the effects on the KLR. I have found some solutions, but they're not embraced by the collective, necessarily.. I tour with my KLR, 99% road use, 800 mile days.... AND I'm on my second KLR. That does NOT make me an expert, so what I have to say should be taken with a grain-of-salt: It seems to work for me... With the stock suspension and ride-height, if I lower the front end (slide the forks up so they stick out more on top) about 1/2", cross- wind and truck-wake problems are improved. I then use lowering links to lower the back of the bike 1 1/2", and then raise the forks (lower the front end) another 1 1/2" (then have 2" showing above the top triple-clamp) and the road manners are GREATLY improved. However, I wouldn't use this setup to ride in Baja, or on any rough terrain... (don't rry this at home....) My next thought is to trim the front fender some, but the bike has much improved manners as is, that I may just "let it go" at this point. However, this is NO I4 750, and you will have more vibration with the single. I have ridden Honda 750's, even owned a Gold Wing, and I still like the KLR best.. This is the ONLY bike that I have ever bought that matched a previous model. Anyway, as long as you're riding, that's all that really matters. Ron Crandell St. Cloud, MN