berrin life

DSN_KLR650
Toby 'Slide' Lampson

earplugs

Post by Toby 'Slide' Lampson » Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:52 am

Mariola, I'm only familiar with three different designs: Putty Type- Never used em'. Threory is cool. I think they gather dirt as you go though. Foam Type- You roll em' like a cigarrette between you fingers to the desired smaller dia to fit in your ear...once inserted they expand. Christmas Trees- Shaped like a 'Ground' symbol in electrical drawings...they are all one molded piece of soft rubber. A Series of gradually larger, Saturn-like, rubber rings extend out from the rubber center post. Spin em in and out to comfort. I rarely use plugs. Used the foam ones for awhile and didn't really like em. I like the Christmas tree ones the best for comfort and noise. Gun shops, construction supply stores, gas-powered landscaping machinery shops--- are good places to search. The archives should contain a thread from not too long ago on this....... Slide Mariola Cichon wrote:
> I would like to thank everyone for the great info about the helmets. > The light in the end of the tunnel us starting to appear ;-)another > thing is ear plugs. This is something I never, ever used.... until > Bogdan gave me a lecture about the dangers of such a conduct...I tried > and hated it. I got a headache almost right away. Any suggestions as > to what brand would be relatively uninvasive? > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Tom Berry

earplugs

Post by Tom Berry » Fri Nov 24, 2000 6:10 am

Haven't looked at ALL the posts re ear plugs, but so far I haven't seen anyone mention Hearo plugs. Bought a 4-pack of the disposable ones at the FSSNOC rally in Jackson CA. Far and away, the best fitting, most comfortable, most effective plugs I've ever tried. Another positive effect is that they made my clanky old KLR engine run much quieter!! A friend bought the reusable silicone Hearos, and likes them quite well, too. Give 'em a try.

jirvine@nmsu.edu

earplugs

Post by jirvine@nmsu.edu » Fri Nov 24, 2000 7:57 am

At 12:10 PM 11/24/00 +0000, Tom Berry wrote:
>Haven't looked at ALL the posts re ear plugs, but so far I haven't >seen anyone mention Hearo plugs. Bought a 4-pack of the disposable >ones at the FSSNOC rally in Jackson CA. Far and away, the best >fitting, most comfortable, most effective plugs I've ever tried. >Another positive effect is that they made my clanky old KLR engine >run much quieter!! A friend bought the reusable silicone Hearos, and >likes them quite well, too. Give 'em a try.
Foam Hearos are great! I rode with a pair for 28 hours straight.

earplugs

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 24, 2000 7:56 pm

----- Original Message ----- From: Tom Berry To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com> Sent: Friday, November 24, 2000 6:10 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Earplugs > Haven't looked at ALL the posts re ear plugs, but so far I haven't > seen anyone mention Hearo plugs. Bought a 4-pack of the disposable > ones at the FSSNOC rally in Jackson CA. Far and away, the best > fitting, most comfortable, most effective plugs I've ever tried. > Another positive effect is that they made my clanky old KLR engine > run much quieter!! A friend bought the reusable silicone Hearos, and > likes them quite well, too. Give 'em a try. > > >The thing is that I do not want to carry excessive stuff. unfortunately, anything disposable will go into such a category. Thanks for the info though. This whole ear-plug business is horrible. I do not mind the noise at all. But... my longest trip so far was definitely shorter than 2 years. A lot of people are recommending this gadget, so I think that I will go for it, eventhough my "inner" self does not agree ;-) Mariola >

polachm@cadvision.com

earplugs

Post by polachm@cadvision.com » Sat Nov 25, 2000 1:18 am

Hearos........... "I rode for 28 hours straight" I just can't imagine riding for 28 hrs straight ...How did you stay awake? cheers Martin (keep meaning to get some custom fitted earplugs ..about $65.00 Can. )

jirvine@nmsu.edu

earplugs

Post by jirvine@nmsu.edu » Sat Nov 25, 2000 7:40 am

Actually th 28 hours wasn't too bad. Some coffee, actually some exercise, one bonus was well up a trail in Capital Reef NP. A stop to discuss traffic law with the local sheriff at 4 am. If you get a chance I'd encourage any to try a 24 hour rally. If you get too tired, by all means sleep, or call it quits, but there is something weird/odd/fun, about running all over the place for 24 hours. Check out www.ironbutt.com, events. At 11:47 PM 11/24/00 -0700, polachm@... wrote:
>Hearos........... "I rode for 28 hours straight" I just can't imagine >riding for 28 hrs straight ...How did you stay awake? >cheers >Martin >(keep meaning to get some custom fitted earplugs ..about $65.00 Can. ) > > > >Visit the KLR650 archives at >http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 >Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... >Let's keep this list SPAM free! > >Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

David Critchley

earplugs

Post by David Critchley » Sat Nov 25, 2000 5:09 pm

Attachments :
    The Alberta 2000 is running in June. For a fun 24 hrs, try it ! The Black Gold Beemers in Edmonton Alberta put it on, (and a German tractor is not required to run it).

Karl Raupp

earplugs

Post by Karl Raupp » Sun Nov 26, 2000 10:50 am

> If you get a chance I'd encourage any > to try a 24 hour rally. If you get too tired, by all means sleep,
    or call
    > it quits, but there is something weird/odd/fun, about running all
    over the
    > place for 24 hours. Check out www.ironbutt.com, events.
    I hear ya Jim! I meant to do at least a SaddleSore 1000 this season but I never got around to it. I even wanted to do the BlackFly 1600 but I couldn't get the weekend off of work. Next spring for sure I'll do something like this. I could do it on the big GS1150 but that's a no-contest on such a beast. TTYL Karl

William Diehl III

earplugs

Post by William Diehl III » Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:14 pm

I'm sorry, I'm new to the list and probably missed the whole thread, but... I live in CA and was doing some research on this, trying to figure out what the heck "custom fit" means. Are there any guidelines for this regulation? Anyone have any experience with the police or highway patrol on this? I've got boxes of those squish up kind, but if I have to buy something else, do I need a perscription or what? Can I buy them mailorder and still be leagal? William Diehl 1999 KLR 650 (BLUE of course!) Riverside, CA
    On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Conall O'Brien wrote: > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "J. Sherlock" wrote: > > >The wind noise is ugly and decent plugs make all the difference. > > > I'd say that is about the best advice posted on this list, right > next to helmets and safety clothing. Too many DS riders go riding > without ear plugs. Heck, too many of all types of riders go out > without wearing ear plugs. Quick way to damage, then lose your > hearing. I use the harder units that are attached together with a > string made of some little wire plastic. > > Be aware ear plugs are illegal in some states, unless they are custom > fit. You can get custom fit earpluds at the cycle world motoshow, I > just got back from the show in San Mateo. If you come to CA. you'll > be arrested (danger to the public). Rolling stones are in town and > life is good. > > Conall-Talkin' about the midnite rambler... > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Conall O'Brien

earplugs

Post by Conall O'Brien » Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:37 pm

OK, I started the thread about custom ear plugs, so here is what I know. The product and info you need is available by custom fitting to your ear. I saw the product yesterday, info at http://show.motorcycleshows.com/IMSBrandManager/V33/index.cvn. You live in So. CAL, so go the show and you'll see the guys making them.I didn't get their name or contact info, sorry. They mold them to your ear, so it;s probably easier to do in person. They are trained ear doctors or audioologists, whatever they call them. It maybe a dumb law, but don't let some overzealous CA cop see you with earplugs. Just a rumour , I don't know the exact regulation. Conall
    >From: "William Diehl III" >CC: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: [DSN_klr650] RE: Earplugs >Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:12:06 -0800 > > >I'm sorry, I'm new to the list and probably missed the whole thread, >but... > >I live in CA and was doing some research on this, trying to figure out >what the heck "custom fit" means. > >Are there any guidelines for this regulation? Anyone have any experience >with the police or highway patrol on this? > >I've got boxes of those squish up kind, but if I have to buy something >else, do I need a perscription or what? Can I buy them mailorder and still >be leagal? > >William Diehl >1999 KLR 650 (BLUE of course!) >Riverside, CA > > > >On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Conall O'Brien wrote: > > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "J. Sherlock" wrote: > > > >The wind noise is ugly and decent plugs make all the difference. > > > > > I'd say that is about the best advice posted on this list, right > > next to helmets and safety clothing. Too many DS riders go riding > > without ear plugs. Heck, too many of all types of riders go out > > without wearing ear plugs. Quick way to damage, then lose your > > hearing. I use the harder units that are attached together with a > > string made of some little wire plastic. > > > > Be aware ear plugs are illegal in some states, unless they are custom > > fit. You can get custom fit earpluds at the cycle world motoshow, I > > just got back from the show in San Mateo. If you come to CA. you'll > > be arrested (danger to the public). Rolling stones are in town and > > life is good. > > > > Conall-Talkin' about the midnite rambler... > > > >
    _________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail