tube size riddle

DSN_KLR650
Ken Parker

nklr:to slime or not to slime

Post by Ken Parker » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:32 am

I am swapping the rear tire for a new one since it is worn out on my 91 klr. I bought some slime but am wondering if I should use it since I do most of my riding on pavement (90%). Will it create too much vibration at highway speeds 70-80mph. ===== Ol'Ken in I DA HO __________________________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo! http://sbc.yahoo.com

Brad Davis

nklr:to slime or not to slime

Post by Brad Davis » Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:01 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Ken Parker wrote:
> I am swapping the rear tire for a new one since it is > worn out on my 91 klr. I bought some slime but am > wondering if I should use it since I do most of my > riding on pavement (90%). Will it create too much > vibration at highway speeds 70-80mph. > > ===== > Ol'Ken in I DA HO
Just last night I was doing my once over on my KLR and noticed a nail imbedded in the rear tire. The head was worn down to a nub so I am thinking it was in the tire for awhile and I just didn't notice it. Anyway, I had Slimed this tire last year which explains why there was no pressure loss (until I removed the nail and then all the green goo started hissing out). So, Slime seems to work well enough to keep air in the tire as long as the nail is not removed. This should allow you to a get to a more convenient place to do your repairs. Being able to fix the tire at home and not on the side of the road is worth the cost of a bottle of Slime to me. I do a lot of riding on the highway and have not noticed a vibration problem with Slime. Brad Davis->Do I need to patch the nail hole in my tire or is a new tube all I need?

judjonzz

tube size riddle

Post by judjonzz » Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:33 am

Doesn't really matter. The tube will keep expanding as you fill it until it reaches something, like a tire, that limits its expansion. In a pinch, you can use a 21-inch tube in your rear wheel.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Brad Davis wrote: > > What are the correct tube sizes for the KLR? I am thinking 4.5x17 and 2.75x21 is what I have been told in the past. However, if you convert the tire width directly to inches you get 5.1" for the rear and 3.5" for the front. These are the outside tire dimensions so maybe the tube dimension are for the inside tire width. Does anyone know the answer? > > Thanks - Brad > > > > --------------------------------- > Do you Yahoo!? > New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo! > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]