digest number 2804 - doohickey

DSN_KLR650
Calis

rear end problems?

Post by Calis » Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:04 pm

Maybe I am imagining things, maybe I'm not. But either way, I need to decide what to do about it. I've gone through a few different rear tires in the last year trying to find one that I liked. I put a Kenda 270 on last year, didn't like the way it held the road at all, it seemed way too soft and squirly in any sort of wind. I just put an IRC GP-110 on and like the look and feel of the tread on it pretty well. Well, I've been riding it around town a bit today, put about 12 miles on it. It's a bit breezy today. My experience on this tire isn't nearly as bad as on the Kenda. However, it still seems a bit squirly. Seems like the wind wants to blow the bottom of the bike right out from under me...back side first maybe. I've fiddled with tire pressures a bit, maybe it's too low. Maybe I need to adjust something else? Here's the setup: 99KLR stock front Dunlop, 30 psi IRC GP110, 25psi. Windshield removed. Everything else is stock. My profile, 6'11" 255. Does anybody have any thoughts for me? I am thinking about getting a tall windshield to put back on it, maybe a lower front fender? Spring adjustment? I really hate the feeling of the bike wanting to come out from under me. Hopefully this wind will die down a little bit and I can get a more 'scientific' test. Calis

kcuf_oohay_666

rear end problems?

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:32 pm

I have the same problem with my Avon Gripster in the rear (the bikes not mine). It feels like I'm riding a marshmellow. I had the dealer check the rear end for something loose. he couldn't find anything. I liked the Dunlop 604 best for the street. But you seem to want a dirtier tire. The only thing I din't like about the 604 was that the tire started to weather crack after a year. But It stayed together untl it was bald. I think I'll try the Metzler Sahara next or Michelin Sirac. I never had good luck with perelli on my cars or bikes so I'm staying away from them.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Calis" wrote: > Maybe I am imagining things, maybe I'm not. But either way, I need to > decide what to do about it. I've gone through a few different rear tires in > the last year trying to find one that I liked > > Calis

Calis

rear end problems?

Post by Calis » Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:44 pm

No, I did not toss out the rear Kenda 270. It has less than 100 miles on it though, if anybody wants it and they are near me just yell, we'll work something out. I live in Rockville, IN. Calis
----- Original Message ----- From: "Devon Jarvis" To: "Calis" Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 18:20 Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Rear end problems? > It's not that the wind is "blowing the tire out from under you", but a > crosswind will cause the bike to lean into the wind. And then if you have tires > that don't have a complementary profile, it can make the bike steer one way or > the other. When I was running IRC GP110 front and rear I had no complaints. > When I had a Kenda 270 front and an IRC GP110 rear, the bike would understeer. > > A Kenda 270 front and a Pirelli MT21 rear work fine on the road, but are really > weird offroad since you have more traction on the rear than the front. > > The GP110 are great tires. Toss the stock front and put on the matching tire on > the front. For that matter, I hope you didn't throw out the rear 270 because > they work fine for lots of people when you use the matching set. And a Kenda270 > front is cheap. > > Devon > A15 > > Calis wrote: > > > Maybe I am imagining things, maybe I'm not. But either way, I need to > > decide what to do about it. I've gone through a few different rear tires in > > the last year trying to find one that I liked. I put a Kenda 270 on last > > year, didn't like the way it held the road at all, it seemed way too soft > > and squirly in any sort of wind. I just put an IRC GP-110 on and like the > > look and feel of the tread on it pretty well. Well, I've been riding it > > around town a bit today, put about 12 miles on it. It's a bit breezy today. > > My experience on this tire isn't nearly as bad as on the Kenda. However, it > > still seems a bit squirly. Seems like the wind wants to blow the bottom of > > the bike right out from under me...back side first maybe. I've fiddled with > > tire pressures a bit, maybe it's too low. Maybe I need to adjust something > > else? > > Here's the setup: 99KLR stock front Dunlop, 30 psi IRC GP110, 25psi. > > Windshield removed. Everything else is stock. My profile, 6'11" 255. Does > > anybody have any thoughts for me? > > I am thinking about getting a tall windshield to put back on it, maybe a > > lower front fender? Spring adjustment? I really hate the feeling of the > > bike wanting to come out from under me. Hopefully this wind will die down a > > little bit and I can get a more 'scientific' test. > > > > Calis >

Ryan Newman

rear end problems?

Post by Ryan Newman » Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:42 am

> Maybe I am imagining things, maybe I'm not. But either way, I need to > decide what to do about it. I've gone through a few different rear tires
in
> the last year trying to find one that I liked. I put a Kenda 270 on last > year, didn't like the way it held the road at all, it seemed way too soft > and squirly in any sort of wind. I just put an IRC GP-110 on and like the > look and feel of the tread on it pretty well. Well, I've been riding it > around town a bit today, put about 12 miles on it. It's a bit breezy
today.
> My experience on this tire isn't nearly as bad as on the Kenda. However,
it
> still seems a bit squirly. Seems like the wind wants to blow the bottom
of
> the bike right out from under me...back side first maybe. I've fiddled
with
> tire pressures a bit, maybe it's too low. Maybe I need to adjust
something Hmm, I also have a 99' with Kenda's on it. The rear on my bike does feel a bit "soft" when going around turns hard and such, but it never feels bad. I've never noticed any problems with the wind feeling like it's going to blow the bike out from under me. Ryan

Murray Dochstader

digest number 2804 - doohickey

Post by Murray Dochstader » Sun Jun 16, 2002 5:21 am

Well, ladies and gentlemen - if your doohickey has not broken, it will! Mine did, in the Baja (March '02) - had to abort the trip - caused major damage - replaced with the aftermarket part available on this list. ('99 KLR) I am not fooling - if you do not pay attention to this "Achilles heel" in the KLR motor, it will break. Murray Dochstader B.C. Canada

guymanbro

rear end problems?

Post by guymanbro » Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:42 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Calis" wrote:
> Maybe I am imagining things, maybe I'm not. But either way, I
need to decide what to do about it. I've fiddled with tire pressures a bit, maybe it's too low. Maybe I need to adjust something else?
> Here's the setup: 99KLR stock front Dunlop, 30 psi IRC GP110,
25psi. Calis, Did I read that right? You're running more pressure up front than in the rear? I always run more in the back...Thought that was standard ops. Could be a contributing factor. dat brooklyn bum

Calis

rear end problems?

Post by Calis » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:24 am

Yeah, you read that right. I've been playing with the pressures on both tires in hopes that something works better. I feel like it's the rear tire giving me the problems. I've bumped the pressure on the rear up to 32 and then it started storming...so I'm gonna try to get some time on it today. Calis
----- Original Message ----- From: "guymanbro" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2002 07:41 Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Rear end problems? > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Calis" wrote: > > Maybe I am imagining things, maybe I'm not. But either way, I > need to decide what to do about it. I've fiddled with tire pressures > a bit, maybe it's too low. Maybe I need to adjust something else? > > Here's the setup: 99KLR stock front Dunlop, 30 psi IRC GP110, > 25psi. > > > Calis, > > Did I read that right? You're running more pressure up front than in > the rear? I always run more in the back...Thought that was standard > ops. Could be a contributing factor. > > dat brooklyn bum > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >