toasts the cdi?? (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
Devon Jarvis

valve clearance procedure - wrong turn.

Post by Devon Jarvis » Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:18 am

How far did you turn it the wrong way, and did you have the valve cover and camchain tensioner installed when you did it? It is unlikely that you damaged anything, though it's bad for the camchain tensioner mechanism, and for the starter motor and starter geartrain. Devon dtovb wrote:
> > Hello, > > What could happened after turn central nut clockwise during engine > rotation? Manual says that 'Do not, under any circumstances, try to > turn clockwise'. I made this stupid turn in wrong side. Does it mean > that I killed my engine? > > Thanks, > > Dmitry from Minnesota >

RM

Post by RM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:00 am

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, dtovb wrote:
> What could happened after turn central nut clockwise during engine >rotation? Manual says that 'Do not, under any circumstances, try to turn >clockwise'. I made this stupid turn in wrong side. Does it mean that I >killed my engine?
I think they're worried that you'll apply enough torque to back off the magneto bolt. Unlikely, unless you really hammer on it. If turning the engine backwards is truly harmful, then my engine should have been dead a long time ago. I can think of many occasions where I flipped the kill switch on a steep uphill and the bike chugged backwards downhill in first gear for a couple of revs. RM

esteban80127

Post by esteban80127 » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:01 pm

You most certainly ruined the engine by doing that. Derailment of timing chain, stripped gears, piston ring damage, bent valves, leaky fork seals, bent handlebars etc etc. I'll give you $500 bucks for it sight unseen. Steve
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "dtovb" wrote: > Hello, > > What could happened after turn central nut clockwise during engine > rotation? Manual says that 'Do not, under any circumstances, try to > turn clockwise'. I made this stupid turn in wrong side. Does it mean > that I killed my engine? > > Thanks, > > Dmitry from Minnesota

dtovb

Post by dtovb » Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:21 am

Sound pretty scare. After I did this engine works just fine. What I have to do? continue ride or start to repair engine ?
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "esteban80127" wrote: > > You most certainly ruined the engine by doing that. Derailment of > timing chain, stripped gears, piston ring damage, bent valves, leaky > fork seals, bent handlebars etc etc. > > I'll give you $500 bucks for it sight unseen. > > Steve > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "dtovb" wrote: > > Hello, > > > > What could happened after turn central nut clockwise during engine > > rotation? Manual says that 'Do not, under any circumstances, try to > > turn clockwise'. I made this stupid turn in wrong side. Does it > mean > > that I killed my engine? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Dmitry from Minnesota

dtovb

Post by dtovb » Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:28 am

I did it when camshaft and tensioner was installed. I made 2-3 turns. Now all works just fine. I think it should be some special noise before engine will broken.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Devon Jarvis wrote: > How far did you turn it the wrong way, and did you have the valve cover > and camchain tensioner installed when you did it? > > It is unlikely that you damaged anything, though it's bad for the > camchain tensioner mechanism, and for the starter motor and starter > geartrain. > > Devon > > dtovb wrote: > > > > Hello, > > > > What could happened after turn central nut clockwise during engine > > rotation? Manual says that 'Do not, under any circumstances, try to > > turn clockwise'. I made this stupid turn in wrong side. Does it mean > > that I killed my engine? > > > > Thanks, > > > > Dmitry from Minnesota > >

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:54 am

Turning the engine the wrong way can make the camchain jump teeth sometimes. With the tensioner installed it makes it extremely unlikely. If it starts and runs fine, there you go. Devon dtovb wrote:
> I did it when camshaft and tensioner was installed. I made 2-3 turns. > Now all works just fine. I think it should be some special noise > before engine will broken. > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Devon Jarvis wrote: > > How far did you turn it the wrong way, and did you have the valve > cover > > and camchain tensioner installed when you did it? > > > > It is unlikely that you damaged anything, though it's bad for the > > camchain tensioner mechanism, and for the starter motor and starter > > geartrain. > > > > Devon > > > > dtovb wrote: > > > > > > Hello, > > > > > > What could happened after turn central nut clockwise during > engine > > > rotation? Manual says that 'Do not, under any circumstances, try > to > > > turn clockwise'. I made this stupid turn in wrong side. Does it > mean > > > that I killed my engine? > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Dmitry from Minnesota > > >

kcuf_oohay_666

toasts the cdi?? (nklr)

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:28 am

What are you doing up at 3:02 AM?
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Jim Hyman wrote: > The CDI toasting was due to 12 volts being improperly sent to the > BLACK/WHITE wire (in the kill switch) that connects the CDI to the > stator's ignition exciter coil. This happened while improperly hot > wiring his damaged kill switch. Besides, it's only about $250 (USD) > to replace a CDI.