[wa_dsr] tire pressure gauge ? nklr

DSN_KLR650
Alan Shannon

emission test

Post by Alan Shannon » Sat Apr 15, 2000 4:08 pm

alright i think i've got the links right this time -sorry to those concerned; I've got a /99 klr650 with a cobra pipe, k&n o.e.m. filter, 1.55generic jet, idle jet backed out 2.5 i knew it was lean but when i gave it a emission test it was way low. 1.2 @idle with a low of .4 at 4800 (4,6,8, cyl read ~1.5) does anyone know/have the emission hydrocarbon readings for the 650? also i've read all 900 + archives on jetting but still need to know does the k&n(dynojet) kits work better than other brands of jetting ? thanx (hopefullytotherightadress-al)

Motorcycle_Dan

emission test

Post by Motorcycle_Dan » Fri May 10, 2002 9:57 am

> The main jet is just one of many things that affects the > Air/Fuel ratio.
And unless they had the bike on a dyno, it is very unlikely the problem is main jet related. I'd guess idle mixture screw and a clean air filter would go a long way. Could be more serious but I'd have to have the bike in front of me. When is the last time the valves were adjusted? Tight or leaking exhaust valve will cause poor performance as well as rich condition. Try the idle mixture screw and new air cleaner first. Try 1.5 turns out from fully seated. See where it is adjusted now first. Dan /|\

Motorcycle_Dan

emission test

Post by Motorcycle_Dan » Fri May 10, 2002 10:03 am

Did you hapen to note the side of the pilot (slow) jet? Dan /|\
> Devon...I removed the main jet #148 however it seems > to have been drilled out. I installed a stock #148 and > set the idle mixture at 3/4 turns out

Motorcycle_Dan

emission test

Post by Motorcycle_Dan » Fri May 10, 2002 10:30 am

My fear was with it at 3/4 or 1 turn out it would require more throttle opening and the pilot circuit would cause it to go rich. I should have said with the engine at full operating temp, screw it in 1/8 turn increments untill rpm start to drop then leave it there. That leaves you as lean as it will run. Probably won't run worf a poop anytime except for the test. May need further tuning while not under the watchful eye of $$EPA$$ Gestapo.
> My A14 was a 1 turn out from the factory. > Others have reported 3/4 turn

RM

emission test

Post by RM » Fri May 10, 2002 11:01 am

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Motorcycle_Dan wrote:
>And unless they had the bike on a dyno, it is very unlikely the problem >is main jet related. I'd guess idle mixture screw and a clean air >filter would go a long way.
Now that I think about it, I agree with you. If the engine is not under a load, I doubt that just revving it up will ever get the bike away from the pilot circuit and onto main metering. I suspect that a simple turning of the pilot screw will pass this bike. Does that externally adjustable thumbscrew thingy for HD's fit our carbs?

judjonzz

emission test

Post by judjonzz » Fri May 10, 2002 11:41 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., RM wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 May 2002, Motorcycle_Dan wrote: > > >And unless they had the bike on a dyno, it is very unlikely the
problem
> >is main jet related. I'd guess idle mixture screw and a clean air > >filter would go a long way. > > Now that I think about it, I agree with you. If the engine is not
under a
> load, I doubt that just revving it up will ever get the bike away
from the
> pilot circuit and onto main metering. I suspect that a simple
turning of
> the pilot screw will pass this bike. > > Does that externally adjustable thumbscrew thingy for HD's fit our
carbs? I agree, too, but not for the same reason. As soon as the vacuum in the intake tract causes the slide to lift, the needle jet, and ultimately the main, will come into play.

millerized_2000

emission test

Post by millerized_2000 » Fri May 10, 2002 12:32 pm

According to the HD site I saw, the CVK 40and the CV 40 use the same type/style screw. I thought about it, but the $30 price tag stopped me dead. I don't think I could adjust it that many times to justify the $$$. YMMV millerized
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., RM wrote: > > On Fri, 10 May 2002, Motorcycle_Dan wrote: > > >And unless they had the bike on a dyno, it is very unlikely the problem > >is main jet related. I'd guess idle mixture screw and a clean air > >filter would go a long way. > > Now that I think about it, I agree with you. If the engine is not under a > load, I doubt that just revving it up will ever get the bike away from the > pilot circuit and onto main metering. I suspect that a simple turning of > the pilot screw will pass this bike. > > Does that externally adjustable thumbscrew thingy for HD's fit our carbs?

bmrbill

[wa_dsr] tire pressure gauge ? nklr

Post by bmrbill » Fri May 10, 2002 1:32 pm

Actually, it was MCN where I read the article, not CR. Bill
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "bmrbill" wrote: > Ed, > > You are correct. I remember reading that article. The Syracuse was > the most accurate of all, including the digital ones, the ones with > analog dial, and the rest of the sticks. They are cheap, and I keep > one in my tool box. > > Bill A15 > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Ed Boyd wrote: > > --- imperial-4776@w... wrote: > > > > > > I have two different tire pressure gauges, and they both give me > > > different readings. The instructions say to use then, leave alone > > > for a > > > minute or two, and this is suppose to recalabrate them, but I > still > > > keep > > > getting two different readings ... about 2lbs difference. > > > > > > What am I doing wrong ?, and can anyone recommend a GOOD, ACCURATE > > > brand > > > of gauge ? > > > > > > TIA > > > Dave > > > > I remember Consumer Reports did a test of tire guages a couple of > > years ago. They tested some stick type, some electronic digital > > display type, and some dial guages. > > > > I remember they recommended the Syracuse brand stick type as > accurate > > and cheap. I got mine for about $5. I like that its rugged, slim, > and > > doesn't rely on batteries. If I remember correctly (that's a big if > > now-a-days), the Syracuse was one of the most accurate, if not the > > most accurate. > > > > Ed > > > > > > > > ===== > > Ed Boyd | Duvall, WA > > KLX 650 List Moderator: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KLX650 > > KLR650 Moderator: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650 > > Check out: http://dualsportnews.com/ > > > > __________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Yahoo! Shopping - Mother's Day is May 12th! > > http://shopping.yahoo.com