appeal from aid - no m/c content

DSN_KLR650
Laurent Apffel

chain and sprockets....

Post by Laurent Apffel » Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:20 pm

Hey... my klr 650 is a 1993 and i ride in boston, Ma. I have had many trouble with the sprockets lately, I decided to order the parts and change them. I decided to order them in Windham, NH first of all because my good friend can help me fix it at his parents' house just 10 minutes away from the shop but also because New Hampshire doesn't impose tax on sales. Anyway, the store is Naults honda kawasaki in Windham, NH. I placed the order almost 4 weeks ago and they first predicted that the parts would take 7 business days to get to them knowing that i ordered them on the 1st of february. I call the 12th of february and they tell me the rear sprocket won't get to them 'till the 15th. I call the 16th, they tell me it hasn't got there yet and they don;t know when. I give it another week called them on the 23rd and they tell me i should wait until the 20th of next month for the rear sprocket. Well the hell with that, meanwhile, my chain snapped in two the other day while i was riding causing me to skid for about 3 seconds and almost making me being ran over by a huge ups mail truck. If the parts had been shipped when they were supposed to, this would have never happened...... Thanks Nault for your incompetence.... i could've gone online and got the parts in 3 days for 20 bucks extra, but Naults had to let me down.... Anyway i asked for a refund and cancelled the order since i never got the parts. Anyway, I was wondering if it is a pain in the butt to replace the chain and sprockets.... should i have this done by a professional? _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

Devon Jarvis

chain and sprockets....

Post by Devon Jarvis » Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:08 pm

Laurent, My advice assumes that you have a manual for the bike, and have successfully removed and reinstalled the rear wheel of a motorcycle in the past. Or, your friend has. I have figured out a few annoying little things over the years, and how to avoid them. These are in no particular order. It's not difficult to change a chain and sprockets. You will need a chain press to properly fit your master link. This tool usually costs $30 or so, and you only buy once unless you lose it. Some people have used vise grips to fit the side plate on the master link, but my personal opinion is this is penny-wise, pound foolish (think about $30 vs being under a UPS truck). When you get the side plate on, fit the retaining clip and use a screwdriver to gently pry the sideplate back against the clip. This will lock the clip in place. You will need a big breaker bar, and a buddy to sit on the bike and hold the back brake. Loosen the big bolts (countershaft nut and rear axle) while the bike is still on the ground. Then you'll need to put the bike onto a stand with the rear wheel off the ground. A milk crate with a piece of wood on top works well. Or, duct-tape the front brake lever back to the grip, stick a piece of 2x4 under the sidestand, then wedge a longer piece under the right drivers footpeg mount so the rear wheel is off the ground. Watch out for the rear wheel spacers falling off when you remove the wheel. The spacers sort of fit on either side, but the wheel won't fit if they're on wrong. If you forget a spacer and tighten the axle, you can break or bend the swingarm. A small round trash can makes a good work stand for the wheel while you remove the sprocket, and saves the rotor from getting dinged. If the brake-side spacer hasn't fallen out yet, it will when you put the wheel on the trash can. I only pay a dealers markup (and pay it happily) if I can walk in and buy what I need. I know how to look up part numbers and mail-order parts myself. From my experience, when a parts counter guy says it isn't in yet, he has no idea when it will be in, likely hasn't called the distributor to see what the situation is, and if he gives you a specific date 9 times out of 10 it's a guess or a lie. But it's not Nault's fault that you were riding on a dangerously worn chain. Devon Jarvis A15 Laurent Apffel wrote:
> Hey... my klr 650 is a 1993 and i ride in boston, Ma. I have had many > trouble with the sprockets lately, I decided to order the parts and change > them. I decided to order them in Windham, NH first of all because my good > friend can help me fix it at his parents' house just 10 minutes away from > the shop but also because New Hampshire doesn't impose tax on sales. Anyway, > the store is Naults honda kawasaki in Windham, NH. I placed the order almost > 4 weeks ago and they first predicted that the parts would take 7 business > days to get to them knowing that i ordered them on the 1st of february. I > call the 12th of february and they tell me the rear sprocket won't get to > them 'till the 15th. I call the 16th, they tell me it hasn't got there yet > and they don;t know when. I give it another week called them on the 23rd and > they tell me i should wait until the 20th of next month for the rear > sprocket. Well the hell with that, meanwhile, my chain snapped in two the > other day while i was riding causing me to skid for about 3 seconds and > almost making me being ran over by a huge ups mail truck. If the parts had > been shipped when they were supposed to, this would have never > happened...... Thanks Nault for your incompetence.... i could've gone online > and got the parts in 3 days for 20 bucks extra, but Naults had to let me > down.... Anyway i asked for a refund and cancelled the order since i never > got the parts. Anyway, I was wondering if it is a pain in the butt to > replace the chain and sprockets.... should i have this done by a > professional?

dale_johnson13

chain and sprockets....

Post by dale_johnson13 » Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:21 am

. From my
> experience, when a parts counter guy says it isn't in yet, he has
no idea when
> it will be in, likely hasn't called the distributor to see what the
situation
> is, and if he gives you a specific date 9 times out of 10 it's a
guess or a
> lie. >
I had to wait 6 months for a front sprocket once.. I buy from FRED now and wait < 1 week Dale

zootpatutie

chain and sprockets....

Post by zootpatutie » Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:14 pm

> > You will need a big breaker bar, and a buddy to sit on the bike and hold
the
> back brake. Loosen the big bolts (countershaft nut and rear axle) while
the
> bike is still on the ground. >
Agree with all except that the countershaft on the '93 doesn't have the big nut, just the two smaller bolts. Easier for you. Rear nut shouldn't be too bad. Torque to specs when putting it all together. Todd A9

Jack Tollett

appeal from aid - no m/c content

Post by Jack Tollett » Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:21 pm

Commandancy of the Alamo Bexar, Feb. 24th, 1836 To the People of Texas & all Americans in the world Fellow Citizens & Compatriots I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continual bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise the garrison are to be put to the sword if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender nor retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism, & of everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what due to his own honor & that of his country. Victory or Death William Barret Travis Lt. Col. Comdt. P. S. The Lord is on our side. When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn. We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves. Travis -- Jack Tollett Waltz Across Texas Rally http://www.watlzacrosstexas.org Save the spotted cow.