klr650 carby for sale

DSN_KLR650
zplats

never ridden before, getting a klr650, good idea? kinda long

Post by zplats » Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:39 pm

Okay I rode a motorcycle once before, when I was 8 or something, it was a bad experience and it has prevented me from riding since. So I started thinking about getting a mountain bike again (used to ride one a lot until they made kids wear helmets on em (you guys try wearing a helmet in 110 degree weather trying to get a mountain bike up a hill) so anyway now that I'm older (almost 21 woohooo) and have a crappy job that pays good (desk jockey) which also means I'm out of shape and lazy, so I decided to go looking at motorcycles. I started with a honda XR650L but decided that the air cooled thing just wasn't going to cut it with me (I hate air cooled engines, bad habit of blowing up volkswagen bugs) so it was off to the kawasaki KLR650 other than the ugly paint it seems perfect, a little off road capability (which is good cause most of the roads around here are pretty much like being off road anyway) and a little street and a little touring (everthing is a good distance away from my house, shopping, work, ect.) and the price wasn't too bad either (I was expecting much worse) so I went to the dealer and sat on one I can reach the ground okay (I'm 6'1 195lbs) so I'm not worried about that but I'm just wondering if this is a good bike to learn on, Is it to hard to handle even for a big person or is it kinda forgiving. Anyone else learn to ride on one, like I said before I rode a mountain bike forever so I have a good sense of how two wheels react but having power is a whole new thing, let me know what you think, I'm going to buy the KLR650 anyway (it's my 21st birthday present, my fiance got approved for 5000$ credit with kawasaki) but I would love to get your opinion. Oh and also is there anyone out there that is 5'2" riding a klr I know it would have to be lowered but is it possible for someone that small to be comfortable on one (fiance may get one next year if she likes it :-)

RM

Post by RM » Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:01 pm

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, zplats wrote:
>reach the ground okay (I'm 6'1 195lbs) so I'm not worried about that but >I'm just wondering if this is a good bike to learn on, Is it to hard to >handle even for a big person or is it kinda forgiving.
I'm 5'11" and 185lbs and the KLR was my first motorcycle. You'll do fine. The brakes are almost non-existent for the first few stops or until the pads get bedded-in a little, so be careful taking it home. RM

dale_johnson13

Post by dale_johnson13 » Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:12 pm

Oh and also is there anyone out there that is
> 5'2" riding a klr I know it would have to be lowered but is it > possible for someone that small to be comfortable on one (fiance
may
> get one next year if she likes it :-)
I am 5'5" with a 20" inseam.. I DON'T have the lowering links and it took getting used to but I am fine now. If she is 5'2" with lowering links this still may be to big. ESPECIALLY if she hasn't riden before. Maybe a Super Sherpa for her.. Dale

dale_johnson13

Post by dale_johnson13 » Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:15 pm

> I am 5'5" with a 20" inseam..
WHOOOOPS 29" inseam Dale

bradmorris64

Post by bradmorris64 » Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:28 pm

You're gonna love it! It is my first bike (I'm 37, 6'3",220) and it fits like a glove. For a big man it's the ideal first bike. I think your fiance should probably go with the KLR250 or the Sherpa Though. Good luck and have fun. Brad J. Morris A16 Illinois
> Okay I rode a motorcycle once before, when I was 8 or something, it > was a bad experience and it has prevented me from riding since. So I > started thinking about getting a mountain bike again (used to ride > one a lot until they made kids wear helmets on em (you guys try > wearing a helmet in 110 degree weather trying to get a mountain bike > up a hill) so anyway now that I'm older (almost 21 woohooo) and have > a crappy job that pays good (desk jockey) which also means I'm out of > shape and lazy, so I decided to go looking at motorcycles. I started > with a honda XR650L but decided that the air cooled thing just wasn't > going to cut it with me (I hate air cooled engines, bad habit of > blowing up volkswagen bugs) so it was off to the kawasaki KLR650 > other than the ugly paint it seems perfect, a little off road > capability (which is good cause most of the roads around here are > pretty much like being off road anyway) and a little street and a > little touring (everthing is a good distance away from my house, > shopping, work, ect.) and the price wasn't too bad either (I was > expecting much worse) so I went to the dealer and sat on one I can > reach the ground okay (I'm 6'1 195lbs) so I'm not worried about that > but I'm just wondering if this is a good bike to learn on, Is it to > hard to handle even for a big person or is it kinda forgiving. > Anyone else learn to ride on one, like I said before I rode a > mountain bike forever so I have a good sense of how two wheels react > but having power is a whole new thing, let me know what you think, > I'm going to buy the KLR650 anyway (it's my 21st birthday present, my > fiance got approved for 5000$ credit with kawasaki) but I would love > to get your opinion. Oh and also is there anyone out there that is > 5'2" riding a klr I know it would have to be lowered but is it > possible for someone that small to be comfortable on one (fiance may > get one next year if she likes it :-)

RM

Post by RM » Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:05 pm

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, dale_johnson13 wrote:
>I am 5'5" with a 20" inseam.. I DON'T have the lowering links and it >took getting used to but I am fine now.
We've seen Dale scootch his butt way off the saddle at traffic lights. It's rather amusing...

monahanwb

Post by monahanwb » Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:21 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., RM wrote:
> > We've seen Dale scootch his butt way off the saddle at traffic
lights.
> It's rather amusing...
I've a riding buddy who's not much taller than Dale - Brad Young, of Elko NV. I've been on numerous KLR excursions with Brad. It's a kick to watch him take off on pavement. He kicks the sidestand up and off he goes.....but man, he can ride like a madman in real gnarly rough stuff.....he is bold and fearless. An awesome rider and travel partner. An engineer, who takes pleasure in having to stop and fix things....handy to have along, when travelling on KLRs. Bill in Santa Rosa facing a three day weekend.....and loving it.

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Fri Jan 18, 2002 10:25 pm

The KLR should fit you perfectly, and the carb and motor are set up primarily so it is impossible for anyone to frighten themselves when they open the throttle. It's really smooth and rideable. 5'2" is a little short though, even if your S.O. can manage a bike that tall, it's not the ideal conditions for learning or having fun. The really short guys on the list seem to be pretty experienced, or too busy beating the sh*t out of their bikes on trails to worry much about dropping it. Devon A15 zplats wrote:
> Okay I rode a motorcycle once before, when I was 8 or something, it > was a bad experience and it has prevented me from riding since. So I > started thinking about getting a mountain bike again (used to ride > one a lot until they made kids wear helmets on em (you guys try > wearing a helmet in 110 degree weather trying to get a mountain bike > up a hill) so anyway now that I'm older (almost 21 woohooo) and have > a crappy job that pays good (desk jockey) which also means I'm out of > shape and lazy, so I decided to go looking at motorcycles. I started > with a honda XR650L but decided that the air cooled thing just wasn't > going to cut it with me (I hate air cooled engines, bad habit of > blowing up volkswagen bugs) so it was off to the kawasaki KLR650 > other than the ugly paint it seems perfect, a little off road > capability (which is good cause most of the roads around here are > pretty much like being off road anyway) and a little street and a > little touring (everthing is a good distance away from my house, > shopping, work, ect.) and the price wasn't too bad either (I was > expecting much worse) so I went to the dealer and sat on one I can > reach the ground okay (I'm 6'1 195lbs) so I'm not worried about that > but I'm just wondering if this is a good bike to learn on, Is it to > hard to handle even for a big person or is it kinda forgiving. > Anyone else learn to ride on one, like I said before I rode a > mountain bike forever so I have a good sense of how two wheels react > but having power is a whole new thing, let me know what you think, > I'm going to buy the KLR650 anyway (it's my 21st birthday present, my > fiance got approved for 5000$ credit with kawasaki) but I would love > to get your opinion. Oh and also is there anyone out there that is > 5'2" riding a klr I know it would have to be lowered but is it > possible for someone that small to be comfortable on one (fiance may > get one next year if she likes it :-) > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Mark St.Hilaire, Sr

Post by Mark St.Hilaire, Sr » Fri Jan 18, 2002 10:37 pm

> fiance got approved for 5000$ credit with kawasaki) but I would love > to get your opinion. Oh and also is there anyone out there that is > 5'2" riding a klr I know it would have to be lowered but is it
It's an absolutely fantastic bike, I'm sure you'll love it. This KLR is bike #14 for me, and I can honestly say that I haven't had as much fun on any of the others that I've had on this one. And, if this is an issue, it's easy enough to work on yourself - certainly with the great help available from this list! Wise men still seek Him... Mark St.Hilaire, Sr A15 Also: KLR6500@... HomePage: http://home.adelphia.net/~msaint/index.html KLR650 Pages: http://klr6500.tripod.com/ Valve Check & Adjustment Guide: http://klr6500.tripod.com/valves.html

hoketodd

Post by hoketodd » Sat Jan 19, 2002 11:06 am

The KLR is my first bike, and I think it has been good for someone new to the "sport." I actually bought the KLR for a couple of reasons. First, I am oversized (6'5") and was looking for max seat height. Second, I did a good bit of surfing prior to my purchase and saw that the loyalty of folks to the KLR is almost fanatical...I have just about 1000 miles now, have dropped it (only) twice, and am having a ball. Jeff Todd