jet kit - was it worth it?

DSN_KLR650
tigerfaraway

punched case

Post by tigerfaraway » Tue Jan 08, 2002 11:54 pm

Today I fell, to the left side of the bike and the shift lever bent in and punched a hole in the engine case. I'm having the bike taken to the dealer for repair. Anybody had this experience, and, if so, should I expect any problems that might be associated with the repair? (Other than my embarassment in dropping the bike.) Is there an aftermarket shift lever that will minimize the chances of this happening again, since there don't appear to be any aftermarket changes that are going to improve my balance except more practice? Thanks, Jim Hall

Ted Palmer

punched case

Post by Ted Palmer » Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:28 am

Jim (tigerfaraway) wrote:
> Today I fell, to the left side of the bike and the shift lever bent > in and punched a hole in the engine case. I'm having the bike taken > to the dealer for repair.
I did this in my driveway once, doing exactly 0 kmh so the tip didn't fold. I removed the case and sealed the crack with Araldite. The hardest part of the job was locating the starter idler gear thrust washer that fell in behind the magneto rotor. Mister_T Melbourne Australia

klrz4ever

punched case

Post by klrz4ever » Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:45 am

Dual-Star's new shift lever has a tab welded on that is supposed to prevent this from happening. None of the other aftermarket shift levers seem to address the problem. I carry some JB Weld in case something like this happens in the boonies. Arden Kysely

Mark

punched case

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:59 am

At 2:44 PM +0000 1/10/02, klrz4ever wrote:
>Dual-Star's new shift lever has a tab welded on that is supposed to >prevent this from happening. None of the other aftermarket shift >levers seem to address the problem. I carry some JB Weld in case >something like this happens in the boonies.
Ya, but isn't JB Weld a 24hr-cure epoxy? JB Quick is fast, but stinks in comparison to the original JB Weld. I carry QuickSteel epoxy putty and use the JB Weld at home. Mark B2 A2 A3

klrz4ever

jet kit - was it worth it?

Post by klrz4ever » Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:12 am

The DynoJet kit definitely cured the surging I was getting at 4000 rpm on my A11. I found it pretty easy to install, just take things slowly and think it through--mistakes can be costly. OTOH, if you don't have a specific problem to cure I wouldn't mess with the carb except to back out the pilot needle. Arden Kysely

Fred Hink

punched case

Post by Fred Hink » Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:12 am

This is true and did you know there is now a QuikAluminum? Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com ***NEW*** http://www.canyonlandsmotorclassic.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark" To: "klrz4ever" ; DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 8:00 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Re: Punched Case > > Ya, but isn't JB Weld a 24hr-cure epoxy? JB Quick is fast, but stinks > in comparison to the original JB Weld. I carry QuickSteel epoxy putty > and use the JB Weld at home. > Mark > B2 > A2 > A3 >