nklr islamabad wheelie

DSN_KLR650
jonathan.sykes@ps.ge.com

bivy

Post by jonathan.sykes@ps.ge.com » Thu Nov 15, 2001 11:58 am

I was thinking of buying a bivy bag for use on extended KLR outings. If I get stranded or want to spend the night outside, this would be a lightweight solution when combined with a down sleeping bag. Anyone able to comment on bivying? Some of the bags seem very expensive. I wonder how warm they keep one when the temperature drops below freezing?

johnglime@yahoo.com

bivy

Post by johnglime@yahoo.com » Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:09 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jonathan.sykes@p... wrote:
> I was thinking of buying a bivy bag for use on extended KLR
outings. If I
> get stranded or want to spend the night outside, this would be a
lightweight
> solution when combined with a down sleeping bag. > > Anyone able to comment on bivying? Some of the bags seem very
expensive. I
> wonder how warm they keep one when the temperature drops below
freezing? jonathan, i have spent many, many a night in my bivy sack and have many opinions... to answer your question directly, a gore-tex (or similar waterproof breathable fabric) should not be counted on to keep you warmer. it does trap heat to a certain extent, and some companies will claim a certain amount of degrees, but in my opinion you should view it only as a lightweight, compactable dry haven for the night. let your bag keep you warm (definitely have a sleeping pad) and let the bivy sack keep you dry. the bags are definitely expensive, but worth it if used in the right applications, (climbing, mountaineering, lightweight backpacking, cycling trips, etc.) however, seeing as we are all relatively lazy and own a motorcycle instead of a mountain bike, let the motorcycle carry the few extra pounds and sleep the night in the extra comfort of a tent. you can easily get a single man or two man tent for the same price (you aren't paying for so much expensive fabric (goretex), just two walls of nylon) and you can definitely find these same one man/ two man tents at very small weights and sizes. if you have more specific questions or comments email me... john

Steve Anderson

bivy

Post by Steve Anderson » Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:29 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jonathan.sykes@p... wrote:
> I was thinking of buying a bivy bag for use on extended KLR outings. If I > get stranded or want to spend the night outside, this would be a
lightweight
> solution when combined with a down sleeping bag. > > Anyone able to comment on bivying? Some of the bags seem very expensive.
I
> wonder how warm they keep one when the temperature drops below freezing?
I ve used bivies and I don't care for bivies for all the reason listed by the others. I ve also found that in bivies, you will generally get condensation and unless you have a water resistant sleeping bag, you can get wet. They are simply much harder to stay dry in for many reasons. For the past six or seven years, I've been carrying a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. See: http://www.sierradesigns.com/cgi-bin/driver.pl?index=3&conf=tent_show2 This is an awesome tent, very bombproof; it packs very small and is about 4lbs. They can be found new for about $125. Not much more weight or packed size than a bivy, but all the benefits of a tent. They call it two-man, but them two men better be very friendly ;-]. It s very roomy for one person and lots of gear though. The vestibule is just big enough for wet gear, dirty boots and cooking gear. I have had it in 80mph winds and thunderstorms with no problems at all except... The only gripe is in lots of blowing sand. The sand will make its way in. I spent a week and a half on the sandstone at Lake Powell this summer and every day the winds would blow 40-60mph for several hours in the afternoon. Every evening there was about an inch to an inch and a half of the nastiest, most abrasive sandstone sand in the thing =[. This will be true of any three season tent on the market that I m aware of. On the other hand, I could leave the tent with my stuff protected in it for whole days with confidence it would still be there. It is incredibly easy to pitch; I can probably set it up in two or three minutes. It is not freestanding, but there is a weight and size penalty for that and I feel you should always stake out anyway. This is an extremely popular tent with backpackers and long distance bicyclists. The thing about this tent that makes it such a standout is the incredible weather protection for the weight. If a person can survive the weather, this tent can too. When I got caught in the eighty mph stuff I remember thinking, when does this get dangerous? My answer was when it starts throwing things at you that will injure you. This was while I was being pelted with rocks the size of grapes I just received a new tent that should be even more bombproof. A Moss Hooped Outland. See: http://www.mosstents.com/tents/tents_houtland_main.html It is a bit heavier and such, but is designed for anything, including sand and snow. I will use this when I feel I have the luxury of being able to carry the weight and it s cold, or if I am concerned about blowing sand or snow. In general, I still think I will opt to use the Clip Flashlight more. I will be using the Outland over the Xmas-New Years in sandy Baja and if you like I can give you an update on it. I found one for $249 (youch), but you's gots to pays for whats you's gets... Steve A. in AZ

Bogdan Swider

bivy

Post by Bogdan Swider » Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:11 pm

> For the past six or seven years, I've been carrying a Sierra Designs Clip > Flashlight. See: > > http://www.sierradesigns.com/cgi-bin/driver.pl?index=3&conf=tent_show2 >
I've had one for over ten years. Used it in the desert, mountains and North woods. It's not free standing but as Steve has documented that's not a problem. It was cutting edge 15 years ago and still has not been surpassed in it's combination of utility and low weight. Bogdan

matrix1264@aol.com

nklr islamabad wheelie

Post by matrix1264@aol.com » Thu Nov 15, 2001 10:21 pm

Im getting nothin with that link bud.. Matthew Tucson AZ