daytona biketoberfest

DSN_KLR650
johnglime@yahoo.com

i need my bike in the air... tire change.

Post by johnglime@yahoo.com » Sat Oct 20, 2001 5:36 pm

thank you to anyone who can help. this afternoon i had my first flat tire, fortunately i was close to home and was able to get it in the garage. unfortunately, i hadn't practiced trying to get the s.o.b. up in the air. so i went to work... as an avid dual sport news web reader i knew to try making the 2x4 set up that goes under the swing arms. i was feeling pretty confident after creating this within 20 minutes... but my confidence disolved after 30 minutes of trying to get the bike in the air. i realize that i could go grab some friends to help lift it up, but i want to simulate myself being alone in the middle of no where (which could have been the case.) I have now engine searched our group for the last half hour to no avail. someone talk to me. tell me how easy it is, and how much of a rooky i really am... i am realizing that a centerstand would solve my problem, but in the meantime? john j. glime '01 klr

Duvall Ed

Post by Duvall Ed » Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:39 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., johnglime@y... wrote:
> thank you to anyone who can help.
Have you tried just lifting\tilting it onto 5 gallon plastic pail, or a milk crate? Lift or tilt the rear end onto the can "motorcross bike stand style" and you're good to go. With the side stand down, you can tip the bike towards the left side (side stand side) and put something like a milk crate under the frame it to hold it up. Some folks like to wrap a bungee cord around the front brake lever to prevent the bike from wheeling away. Or you can shimmy the bike up against a tree doing the same thing. See these links and you'll get the idea: http://www.trailrider.com/story.php3?id=26 http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips/stick_jack.html Or just buy the $100 motorcycle jacks that the discount clubs are stocking, apparently they're great. Its on my wish list. UnemployED Jobhunt, WA

jayed36@yahoo.com

Post by jayed36@yahoo.com » Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:28 pm

> Or just buy the $100 motorcycle jacks that the discount clubs are > stocking, apparently they're great. Its on my wish list.
Or buy the MotionPro quickjack for $42. I just changed my front tire the other day with it. Piece of cake, and very easy to carry along on a ride. Jeff A15

marcclarke@unforgettable.com

Post by marcclarke@unforgettable.com » Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:48 pm

I think he is talking about the $100 Larin hydraulic lift sold at Sam's Club. -- Marc Illsley Clarke, Kawasaki KLR650 A12, Loveland, Colorado, USA ----Original Message-----
>From: "Duvall Ed" >To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: I need my bike in the air... tire change. >Date: Saturday, October 20, 2001 17:39 > >--- In DSN_klr650@y..., johnglime@y... wrote: >Or just buy the $100 motorcycle jacks that the discount clubs are >stocking, apparently they're great. Its on my wish list.

Duvall Ed

Post by Duvall Ed » Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:49 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jayed36@y... wrote:
> > Or just buy the $100 motorcycle jacks that the discount clubs are > > stocking, apparently they're great. Its on my wish list. > > Or buy the MotionPro quickjack for $42. I just changed my front > tire the other day with it. Piece of cake, and very easy to carry > along on a ride. > > Jeff > A15
Yes, a decent alternative, but won't give you the "in garage" versatility of the full-on lift. But then again, the full on lift will really weigh the bike down on the trails. Ed Duvall, WA

Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd » Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:50 pm

Yep, also sold at Costco out here in the Pacific NorthWet. -Ed --- marcclarke@... wrote:
> I think he is talking about the $100 Larin hydraulic lift sold at > Sam's Club. > -- Marc Illsley Clarke, Kawasaki KLR650 A12, Loveland, Colorado, > USA > > ----Original Message----- > >From: "Duvall Ed" > >To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > >Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: I need my bike in the air... tire > change. > >Date: Saturday, October 20, 2001 17:39 > > > >--- In DSN_klr650@y..., johnglime@y... wrote: > >Or just buy the $100 motorcycle jacks that the discount clubs are > >stocking, apparently they're great. Its on my wish list. >
===== Ed Boyd Duvall, WA KLX 650 List Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KLX650 '96 KLX 650R '82 Katana 1000 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals. http://personals.yahoo.com

Ed Snow

Post by Ed Snow » Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:59 pm

> the last half hour to no avail. someone talk to me. tell me how > easy it is, and how much of a rooky i really am... > > i am realizing that a centerstand would solve my problem, but > in the meantime?
John, I am a cheapo. I have a set of jack stands I use for my cars, I just tip the bike over to the left - slip in a jack stand. Then tip the bike up on the jack stand - slip in another one on the left and, Viola! Back wheel off the ground. Haven't tried it for the front wheel yet... hmmm. Ed Snow 2001 KLR650 "Zoom Zoom"

monahanwb@yahoo.com

Post by monahanwb@yahoo.com » Mon Oct 22, 2001 12:07 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Ed Snow" wrote:
> > Haven't tried it for the front wheel yet... hmmm. >
Just try a pump jack under the front of the motor, it will lift the front and set the rear wheel on the ground. Works best if the hydraulic cylinder doens't leak while you're working on the bike.

RM

Post by RM » Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:30 am

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 monahanwb@... wrote:
>> Haven't tried it for the front wheel yet... hmmm. >Just try a pump jack under the front of the motor, it will lift the >front and set the rear wheel on the ground. Works best if the hydraulic >cylinder doens't leak while you're working on the bike.
If you have a Moose bashplate, you can hook a jackstand into one of the front bashplate holes. Lean the bike over against the kickstand and slide the jackstand over and hook the corner into the bashplate. RM

InWoods13@aol.com

daytona biketoberfest

Post by InWoods13@aol.com » Mon Oct 22, 2001 6:33 pm

In a message dated 10/21/01 4:42:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, swampy@... writes: << Heya gang, just got back from Daytona and Biketoberfest! Yeah, I know, Too much back to back bike stuff what with the Oktoberfest DSR in Maggie and now Daytona....No Way! Bike wise, it's Harley Dominant, but I gotta tell ya, they all look the same, bikes and riders. I wonder if we look the same to all non-off-road riders too. Probably. >> Sounds like a great time Swampy! Would have liked to get out to the speedway to check out the vendors and maybe a test ride on something different, but Biketoberfest kindof snuck up on us this year. We ended up doing some exploring around Crystal River that weekend. Be sure to check out that new Firebolt, before laying down the bucks for the Cyclone! Also.....picked up a pair of the flag extensions for the Acerbis rally brush guards from Mike's CycleCenter in Belleview. All I can say is....get em. A breeze to install, and they keep the weather off hands as well as the stock KLR guards. Mike's actually got (1) set (in white) left in stock. Would look slick with your black brush guards Swampy. There was a bit on Speedvision awhile back & Destry Abbott's KDX had the black/white combo. Looked trick. Hey! SandShark christened his previously un-dinged tank, the other weekend at "bikers paradise" in a bizarre incident. He then gave a clinic on popping the chain back onto a KLR, using just the sidestand & the KLR tool kit, in about 2 minutes time. Scott KLR650 "thunderdog" Sorrento