laser pro duro question

DSN_KLR650
klr@calis.yi.org

kenda k-270 and stuff...

Post by klr@calis.yi.org » Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:09 pm

Sorry if this double posts...my e-mail isn't delivering here for some reason, I'll look into it later.... After a near death experience a few months ago on my KLR, I finally got a new rear tire on my KLR, I got a Kenda K-270. A few months ago I got a Pirelli (can't even remember what model now) and I had about 200 miles on it when at 02:30 one night I was driving roughly 70 MPH on the highway and the rear tire decided to blow. I managed to keep the bike upright and get stopped along side the highway, although twice I didn't think I was going to, I managed to walk away physically unharmed. Anyway, I was busy with finals at school and just let the bike sit on the porch. I think when I went to work at the Boogie ( http://www.abateofindiana.org/boogie/boogie.php ) without a bike, I realized maybe I had waited too long. I got my Kenda put on yesterday and I've been riding around town a bit. The Kenda tire shows a rating of 40psi. That seems like a bit much to me, I weigh 250, so I dropped it to 36psi. I don't know what I should expect out of this tire, but something feels odd about it, bumpy, uneven maybe. Not sure if it's just the tire being new and having a different tread than the previous tires, maybe the wheel is back on the bike slightly cock-eyed (although I have looked), maybe I am just imagining these things due to being nervous about riding again, I didnt' think I was nervous about riding though, maybe I am. A few other points: I don't notice the tire feeling odd when I am on gravel, just pavement. After the Pirelli incident, I had this tire put on the rim at the local cycle shop. I've been riding motorcycles since I was maybe 12 or so, I am 29 now. I suppose I could be a little shaken from the blow-out on top of the fact that I have worked (I'm a paramedic) at least 5 seperate motorcycle wrecks this summer, some minor, some not so minor. I can't figure out exactly where to look on the bike to ensure that my bike is fine. I put the wheel back on myself, and the marks are as close to the same position on both sides as I can make them. Should I just ride the "new" off of that tire before I worry too much about this? Has anyone else had similar experience with a Kenda tire? Does anyone have any other advice? I plan to continue riding motorcycles as long as I am physically able, so giving it up is just not an option hehe. Thanks for the ear. Calis klr@... calis@...

RichardM

kenda k-270 and stuff...

Post by RichardM » Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:53 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., klr@c... wrote:
>A few months ago I got a Pirelli (can't even remember what model >now) and I had about 200 miles on it when at 02:30 one night I was >driving roughly 70 MPH on the highway and the rear tire decided to >blow.
Is it possible that the tire was underinflated at the time? Did it pop off the rim? Did the casing split open? How did it fail? Only 200 miles... Sounds like a defect to me. Might try contacting Pirelli. Someone on this list had a Kenda disassemble itself a few months back and had a very positive customer service experience with them. Maybe Pirelli will do the same. Curious, RM

klx650dan@eatmydirt.com

kenda k-270 and stuff...

Post by klx650dan@eatmydirt.com » Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:39 pm

You mention you are experienced .. if you are used to knobby tires (the kenda 270 is a 50/50 tire IMO) then it will feel odd compared to amore street orientated tire. On my 3 rd 270, I have 8K miles on this one and is overdue for replacement. Mediocre for pavement but a good 50/50 tire and the KLR pulls like a tractor with it in the dirt. Yes it has a drift to it in the corners and even in a straight line is less linear than a pavement tire. I got used to it. Dan P Graham WA
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., klr@c... wrote: > I got my Kenda put on yesterday and I've been riding around town > a bit. The Kenda tire shows a rating of 40psi. That seems like a > bit much to me, I weigh 250, so I dropped it to 36psi. I don't know > what I should expect out of this tire, but something feels odd about > it, bumpy, uneven maybe.

Miata Myk

kenda k-270 and stuff...

Post by Miata Myk » Fri Sep 14, 2001 6:50 am

> I got my Kenda put on yesterday and I've been riding around town > a bit. The Kenda tire shows a rating of 40psi. That seems like a > bit much to me, I weigh 250, so I dropped it to 36psi.
I just had the Kenda 270's put on my A13 front and rear last week and I believe he used 32psi as a starting point and stressed dropping them when off-roading, etc. he did emphasise that it's a starting point only and that my riding style will dictate what I need to do by how it wears, etc. These tires are quite suceptable to air pressure. The roomie just got new tires on her XT225 and the first fifteen miles or so felt very squirrely. The tech (different guy in a pinch, not the one I normally use) didn't think about it and inflated the tires to max pressure on her Cheng Shins (don't ask, they came with the bike but hadn't been installed yet). I dropped it to about 30 front and 28 rear as a starting point and they came into their own quite well. No more wriggling or unstable feelings, no more wanting to topple off of the centerline, etc. A few days of playing with the bikes will have the tirepressure issues sorted out.
> I don't know > what I should expect out of this tire, but something feels odd about > it, bumpy, uneven maybe.
Might have gotten a bad one or it might not have been balanced well. You might also have a few loose spokes or an out-of-round wheel (see the spokes). The Kenda on mine feels quite nice and smooth with about 200 miles on it. Others in here will have more experiance with them, maybe they know something I don't (but don't tell me.. I'd rather not worry!)
> Not sure if it's just the tire being new > and having a different tread than the previous tires, maybe the wheel > is back on the bike slightly cock-eyed (although I have looked), > maybe I am just imagining these things due to being nervous about > riding again, I didnt' think I was nervous about riding though, maybe > I am.

John Irvine

kenda k-270 and stuff...

Post by John Irvine » Fri Sep 14, 2001 8:02 am

I just took off a Kenda 270, lasted a little over 3000 and there is not much left in the middle. I do some commuting, twisties, and dirt. I never felt any instablity even up to 100 indicated. I usually run close to 32 in the rear. There tire was good enough, and cheap enough, that I'll be putting on another tonight. --- Miata Myk wrote:
> > I got my Kenda put on yesterday and I've been > riding around town > > a bit. The Kenda tire shows a rating of 40psi. > That seems like a > > bit much to me, I weigh 250, so I dropped it to > 36psi. > > I just had the Kenda 270's put on my A13 front and > rear last week and I > believe he used 32psi as a starting point and > stressed dropping them when > off-roading, etc. he did emphasise that it's a > starting point only and that > my riding style will dictate what I need to do by > how it wears, etc. These > tires are quite suceptable to air pressure. The > roomie just got new tires > on her XT225 and the first fifteen miles or so felt > very squirrely. The tech > (different guy in a pinch, not the one I normally > use) didn't think about it > and inflated the tires to max pressure on her Cheng > Shins (don't ask, they > came with the bike but hadn't been installed yet). I > dropped it to about 30 > front and 28 rear as a starting point and they came > into their own quite > well. No more wriggling or unstable feelings, no > more wanting to topple off > of the centerline, etc. A few days of playing with > the bikes will have the > tirepressure issues sorted out. > > > I don't know > > what I should expect out of this tire, but > something feels odd about > > it, bumpy, uneven maybe. > > Might have gotten a bad one or it might not have > been balanced well. You > might also have a few loose spokes or an > out-of-round wheel (see the > spokes). The Kenda on mine feels quite nice and > smooth with about 200 miles > on it. Others in here will have more experiance with > them, maybe they know > something I don't (but don't tell me.. I'd rather > not worry!) > > > Not sure if it's just the tire being new > > and having a different tread than the previous > tires, maybe the wheel > > is back on the bike slightly cock-eyed (although I > have looked), > > maybe I am just imagining these things due to > being nervous about > > riding again, I didnt' think I was nervous about > riding though, maybe > > I am. > > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/

jayed36@yahoo.com

laser pro duro question

Post by jayed36@yahoo.com » Fri Sep 14, 2001 5:22 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Rich W" wrote:
> Just wondering, is the Laser a full exhaust system or just a slip >on. The big gun as far as I know is a full system including a new >ceramic coated inside and out head pipe.
Hi Rich, The ProDuro is a 2 piece pipe, there is an intermediate pipe to go onto the existing head piece, and then the muffler protion onto the intermediate pipe. I installed mine following the links off of Fred Hink's web page and it was a piece of cake. 2 months into it and my only concern is tire clearance to the upward bend of the intermediate pipe. I do see a small brush mark where ProDuro has met up with Dunlop. I can gain another inch of clearance by pushing the intermediate pipe further onto the head pipe, but that would be the max I could do because of the ProDuro logo plate restricting how far you can slide forward in the pipe brace. Sidenote to this is that I haven't been off-road on any heavy duty bumps yet with this pipe. There are a few others who have this exhaust, may want to inquire about any clearance concerns with them. Jeff