nklr clowns

DSN_KLR650
CWilliamson48@aol.com

tail rack bag: which have you found to work best?

Post by CWilliamson48@aol.com » Sun Sep 09, 2001 8:46 pm

I will soon be able to take on some longer overnite trips with my '93 KLR 650. I am wanting to purchase a rear bag that is waterproof and has a lot of features, such as extra pockets, built in tie down holders or straps, and will fit the rack without hanging over. I'm not in to the aluminum rear trunk or side bags, though I'm sure they serve a purpose. With so many bags available on the market, I am flustered about making a proper decision. Any advise is appreciated. I enjoy reading the all the posts on this board. So much info is available from veteran KLR riders! Wasn't able to make the TransAmerica Trail this year...but next year seems promising. Chuck Williamson Clarksville, Tn '00 DRZ400e '95 DR350SE '93 KLR650 '82 FT500 Ascot '76 MR175 (2)

John Lyon

Post by John Lyon » Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:18 pm

Chuck: The bag you select will be dictated by how much stuff you want to carry. For small bags you might want to check out the Wolfman tail bag. For big loads, many have had success with the Rev-Pack Tour Pack. I see Rev-Pack has a new model called the Excursion Pack that may fill your needs. I use a Top of the Line rack in conjunction with a Dry Duffel. These are just some of bags that come to mind, I am sure the list will have many other excellent options. If you are thinking about tackling the TAT you will eventually need to get the weight of your gear down low using saddlebags and panniers. The rear rack is only rated for 22lbs and the rear sub-frame on the KLR is not that stout (Lew I hope you are not reading this :>) http://revpack.com http://www.wolfmanluggage.com Side note: Saw that you had an Ascot. I rode mine for 13 years and loved it. I could kick myself in the ass for selling that bike. Is it red or black? Hope this helps, John
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 01:46:37 -0000, CWilliamson48@... wrote: I will soon be able to take on some longer overnite trips with my '93 KLR 650. I am wanting to purchase a rear bag that is waterproof and has a lot of features, such as extra pockets, built in tie down holders or straps, and will fit the rack without hanging over. I'm not in to the aluminum rear trunk or side bags, though I'm sure they serve a purpose. With so many bags available on the market, I am flustered about making a proper decision. Any advise is appreciated. I enjoy reading the all the posts on this board. So much info is available from veteran KLR riders! Wasn't able to make the TransAmerica Trail this year...but next year seems promising. Chuck Williamson Clarksville, Tn '00 DRZ400e '95 DR350SE '93 KLR650 '82 FT500 Ascot '76 MR175 (2) _______________________________________________________ Send a cool gift with your E-Card http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

Peter Dahlheimer, MD

Post by Peter Dahlheimer, MD » Sun Sep 09, 2001 11:08 pm

get an $11 Rubbermaid Action Packer from Walmart and bolt it to the tail rack using the existing boltholes and longer studs. put metal (washers, sheet, whatever) inside the case. it's waterproof, very light, very durable and you can lock it. if you crash hard enough to bend it, push from the inside and it will spring back to its original shape. _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Mon Sep 10, 2001 5:36 am

I have a Givi MAXIMA that is perfect; but pricey. Take a look at: http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml? CATID=123208&BQ=mot This solution is cheaper, but I haven't used it. Pat/ austin
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., CWilliamson48@a... wrote: > I will soon be able to take on some longer overnite trips with my '93 > KLR 650. I am wanting to purchase a rear bag that is waterproof and > has a lot of features, such as extra pockets, built in tie down > holders or straps, and will fit the rack without hanging over. I'm > not in to the aluminum rear trunk or side bags, though I'm sure they > serve a purpose. With so many bags available on the market, I am > flustered about making a proper decision. Any advise is appreciated. > I enjoy reading the all the posts on this board. So much info is > available from veteran KLR riders! Wasn't able to make the > TransAmerica Trail this year...but next year seems promising. > > Chuck Williamson > Clarksville, Tn > '00 DRZ400e > '95 DR350SE > '93 KLR650 > '82 FT500 Ascot > '76 MR175 (2)

Dan Oaks

Post by Dan Oaks » Mon Sep 10, 2001 7:21 am

on 9/10/01 3:42 AM, Peter Dahlheimer, MD at dahlheim@... wrote:
> > get an $11 Rubbermaid Action Packer from Walmart and bolt it to the tail > rack using the existing boltholes and longer studs. put metal (washers, > sheet, whatever) inside the case. it's waterproof, very light, very durable > and you can lock it. if you crash hard enough to bend it, push from the > inside and it will spring back to its original shape. > >
I find soft sided coolers to be excellent tail bags. I make an aluminum plate that fits inside the bottom, and clamp it to my rack using a couple of 1/4-20 bolts down thru a piece of aluminum bar stock under the rack Easly transferred from bike to bike. We carry a half gallon of iced drink in a Rubbermaid insulated bottle, and our cameras, etc. inside, and maps, tools etc. in the exterior pockets. They're cheap enough that you can replace them if and when they get whacked. My favorite is the Artic Zone coolers with hard inserts that fit inside, over the aluminum plate. Absolutely waterproof. About $14 for the large one, and less for the shorter version. Looka here: http://www.formtechservices.com/bierdo/shasta.jpg -- bierdo

Cloyce D. Spradling

Post by Cloyce D. Spradling » Mon Sep 10, 2001 8:07 am

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 10:36:10AM -0000, IronJungle@... wrote: : Take a look at: http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml? : CATID=123208&BQ=mot This solution is cheaper, but I haven't used it. I've got one, and it's okay. The mounting plate doesn't fit right up, but after a few minutes with a drill, two long SS tapered-head cap screws and 4 big tie-wraps, it's been solid for the last 2k or so on my A13. The claimed weight limit is 20lbs, which isn't much. OTOH, it also isn't huge, so it'd be difficult to get more than that in there unless you're hauling only beer and machine parts. :) I've found that I can get 3 days worth of stuff (clothes and toiletries; no food or camping equipment) in it. You could probably do better if you ride in your street shoes or pack sandals or something. It's *not* big enough to fit a full-face helmet. It is waterproof, though the seal is not such that water won't run into it when you open it up. It probably also wouldn't deal well with being submerged, but I've had no trouble in the rain. It doesn't have a lot of extra features. I really do like it, but only because it was so inexpensive. The lock is cheap (feels it), and poses no challenge to anyone with a flat blade screwdriver and a will to use it. If I'd much paid more I'd be pissed off, but I think it's a great deal for ~$60. (JCWhitney will get you on the S & H.) It's not as big and nice as most of the Givis, but it also doesn't have the price, either. : --- In DSN_klr650@y..., CWilliamson48@a... wrote: : > I will soon be able to take on some longer overnite trips with : my '93 : > KLR 650. I am wanting to purchase a rear bag that is waterproof : and : > has a lot of features, such as extra pockets, built in tie down : > holders or straps, and will fit the rack without hanging over. -- Cloyce A13 in Austin

Chris Krok

nklr clowns

Post by Chris Krok » Mon Sep 10, 2001 10:15 am

> True Dan, but as you know every clown occasionally wants to play > Hamlet. > > Bogdan
I wanted to be Richard III... -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok Project Engineer, Adaptive Wall Wind Tunnel Graduate Aeronautical Laboratories, California Institute of Technology MS 205-45 Phone: 626.395.4794 Pasadena, CA 91125 Fax: 626.449.2677