endurance on enduro/newbike nklr

DSN_KLR650
lmbakota@telusplanet.net

endurance on enduro

Post by lmbakota@telusplanet.net » Thu Aug 30, 2001 11:01 pm

On my last two day trip through Banf National Park, I have met a guy from Quebec at Lake Louise gas station. He had a nicely sounding and "well loaded" KLR 650 so I had a chat with him. It turned out he was coming back from an Alaska trip and he has made about 16,000 kms (10,000 miles) in three weeks and another probably 5,000 km ahead of him. He had a 2001 KLR650, everything original except the Supertrap IDS2 exhaust. He was on his second rear tire and just about ready to replace it as well. Front tire was original and still in a good shape. He had kind of an unique "hard bag", one of those large plastic totes with a lid that you use for your dirty cloth. He had it strapped up side down on the rear rack. He said he never had a single problem with the bike except he lost his lights and I have noticed quite a hole in his head light. Anyway, I felt quite ashamed with my own 1,200 kms in two days ... Lumir

steve pye

endurance on enduro

Post by steve pye » Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:53 pm

-----Original Message----- From: lmbakota@... To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Date: Friday, August 31, 2001 1:02 AM
> Anyway, I felt quite ashamed with my >own 1,200 kms in two days ... >Lumir
Stock KLR seat?? If so, 1200 kms in two days is nothing to be ashamed of! Steve A11

MWeaver@niku.com

endurance on enduro

Post by MWeaver@niku.com » Fri Aug 31, 2001 8:01 pm

it's all in yer head. i've done a few 600-800 mile days, and one around 1000 (on my way back from lapaz) on my klr. i do it by starting early, finishing late, taking frequent short stops (5-10 mins every hour or two), and by alternating foot positions. with passenger pegs, rider pegs and hiway pegs, i switch around a bunch. at the end of a long day, i often use passenger peg on one side, hwy peg on the other side, and hang my buttcheeks off 1 side so my weight is resting on my mid-thigh. switch to the other thigh every couple minutes, and be sure to drive somewhere with scenery. with my shiny new bandit 1200, i'll probably just move my right wrist ever so slightly, and drive 100 or mph and get there quicker instead. mw
> > Anyway, I felt quite ashamed with my > >own 1,200 kms in two days ... > >Lumir > > > Stock KLR seat?? If so, 1200 kms in two days is nothing to be
ashamed of!
> Steve > A11

JIM_7727@MSN.com

endurance on enduro

Post by JIM_7727@MSN.com » Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:18 am

I gotta give it to you guys. My wrists, lower back and my heiney have taken a beating over the years from motocross racing and streetbike racing, let alone all of the off road riding. I recently did a 450 mile trip (highway riding) and I thought I would die. Hell, an hour into my trip and I can't feel my ass from my ass down! I think I've been on trials bikes with more comfortable seats than my 650. I though I needed to replace the seat foam, but comfort sounds like a common problem. Anyway, any of you guys that are making 800 & 1000 mile trips are truly "Hard-men"! :) I'm impressed! Jim Davis
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., MWeaver@n... wrote: > it's all in yer head. i've done a few 600-800 mile days, and one > around 1000 (on my way back from lapaz) on my klr. i do it by > starting early, finishing late, taking frequent short stops (5-10 > mins every hour or two), and by alternating foot positions. with > passenger pegs, rider pegs and hiway pegs, i switch around a bunch. > at the end of a long day, i often use passenger peg on one side, hwy > peg on the other side, and hang my buttcheeks off 1 side so my weight > is resting on my mid-thigh. switch to the other thigh every couple > minutes, and be sure to drive somewhere with scenery. > > with my shiny new bandit 1200, i'll probably just move my right wrist > ever so slightly, and drive 100 or mph and get there quicker instead. > mw > > > > > Anyway, I felt quite ashamed with my > > >own 1,200 kms in two days ... > > >Lumir > > > > > > Stock KLR seat?? If so, 1200 kms in two days is nothing to be > ashamed of! > > Steve > > A11

Peter Dahlheimer, MD

endurance on enduro

Post by Peter Dahlheimer, MD » Sat Sep 01, 2001 12:43 am

got highway pegs? being able to shift positions (there are at least six different ones with highway pegs on) makes a huge difference. the stock seat actually isn't that bad in my opinion. russell is the best seat maker in my opinion. ok, nuff opinion.... _pete
> -----Original Message----- > From: JIM_7727@... [mailto:JIM_7727@...] > Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 7:35 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Endurance on Enduro > > > I gotta give it to you guys. My wrists, lower back and my heiney > have taken a beating over the years from motocross racing and > streetbike racing, let alone all of the off road riding. I recently > did a 450 mile trip (highway riding) and I thought I would die. Hell, > an hour into my trip and I can't feel my ass from my ass down! I > think I've been on trials bikes with more comfortable seats than my > 650. I though I needed to replace the seat foam, but comfort sounds > like a common problem. > Anyway, any of you guys that are making 800 & 1000 mile trips > are truly "Hard-men"! :) I'm impressed! > > Jim Davis > > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., MWeaver@n... wrote: > > it's all in yer head. i've done a few 600-800 mile days, and one > > around 1000 (on my way back from lapaz) on my klr. i do it by > > starting early, finishing late, taking frequent short stops (5-10 > > mins every hour or two), and by alternating foot positions. with > > passenger pegs, rider pegs and hiway pegs, i switch around a bunch. > > at the end of a long day, i often use passenger peg on one side, > hwy > > peg on the other side, and hang my buttcheeks off 1 side so my > weight > > is resting on my mid-thigh. switch to the other thigh every couple > > minutes, and be sure to drive somewhere with scenery. > > > > with my shiny new bandit 1200, i'll probably just move my right > wrist > > ever so slightly, and drive 100 or mph and get there quicker > instead. > > mw > > > > > > > > Anyway, I felt quite ashamed with my > > > >own 1,200 kms in two days ... > > > >Lumir > > > > > > > > > Stock KLR seat?? If so, 1200 kms in two days is nothing to be > > ashamed of! > > > Steve > > > A11 > > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >
_________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

InWoods13@aol.com

endurance on enduro/newbike nklr

Post by InWoods13@aol.com » Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:52 pm

In a message dated 8/31/01 9:02:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MWeaver@... writes: snip>snip Have you done it yet Mark? ....If so, did you go with the 1200 or 1200S? If not, which one have you settled on? The number of wide-eyed looks, & positive comments you get on the Bandit will blow your mind. By riders & non riders alike. And that's of course just a side perk. Another is that it's the best value in sport tourers, still. But the meat.. is just getting In it, and riding...anywhere. Consistent big grins it brings. Get the "S" model for the Ironbutt..yup. :) Scott (not affiliated with Suzuki in any form. Except for this genuine Bandit infatuation. I keep thinking I'll get used to it, or take it for granted..@2600 miles, just the opposite so far) A14 "thunderdog" Sorrento, Fl