aprilia pegaso?

DSN_KLR650
hal26@att.net

auto coolant destroys.................

Post by hal26@att.net » Fri Aug 24, 2001 4:58 pm

motorcycle water pumps.Use only motorcycle coolant premixed from the dealer!

FGJ

Post by FGJ » Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:58 pm

> motorcycle water pumps.Use only motorcycle coolant premixed from the > dealer! >
While standard el cheapo auto anti freeze with phosphate and silicate additives are considered hard on water pump bushings, there's no need to get boned by a dealer with thier pre-mix ripoff formula, why not just buy a gallon of the dex cool and mix it with distilled or RO water. Fred J

Tengai650

Post by Tengai650 » Sat Aug 25, 2001 7:38 pm

At 5:58 PM -0500 8/24/01, FGJ wrote:
>> motorcycle water pumps.Use only motorcycle coolant premixed from the >> dealer! >> >While standard el cheapo auto anti freeze with phosphate and silicate >additives are >considered hard on water pump bushings, there's no need to get boned by a >dealer with >thier pre-mix ripoff formula, why not just buy a gallon of the dex cool and >mix it with distilled >or RO water. Fred J
Actually, Wal-mart coolant is just ethylene glycol, water and green dye. Mark B2 A2 A3

TLrydr@aol.com

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:36 pm

Dam, Guys, I just changed the coolant in my GL1500, Frushed with distilled water and filled wih 1/2 Prestone and 1/2 Distilled water. It said for all aluminin motors. Mike In a message dated 8/25/01 7:39:50 PM EST, Tengai650@... writes: << Actually, Wal-mart coolant is just ethylene glycol, water and green dye. Mark >>

FGJ

Post by FGJ » Sat Aug 25, 2001 9:19 pm

> Dam, > Guys, I just changed the coolant in my GL1500, Frushed with distilled
water
> and filled wih 1/2 Prestone and 1/2 Distilled water. It said for all
aluminin
> motors.
I think all current anti freezes are aluminum safe as just about everything has aluminum heads, the issue is the abrasiveness of the silicate and phosphate additives which is reputed to be particularly hard of motorcycle water pump bushings, a friends wife had two water pump failures on her hile mile F-650 Beemer that were attributed to mass market auto antifreeze that contains the silicates, the dex stuff is devoid of those and is rated for 150,000 miles or 5 years, perhaps it's splitting hairs, I just thought for the few extra $ the dex involved one less thing to worry about. Fred

KLR650@houston.rr.com

Post by KLR650@houston.rr.com » Sat Aug 25, 2001 11:02 pm

FWIW, I plan on refilling my bike with distilled water and about 6 capfulls of Redline WaterWetter. I live in Houston, so there is about a 0% chance of it freezing on any given night. Gerret A15 "Mj lnir" - the machine shop was able to EDM the broken bolt out of the head. I pick it (the head) up on Monday. Anyone know of a place that does a lot of HeliCoil inserts in this town? I don't feel comfortable doing it my self.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "FGJ" wrote: > > Dam, > > Guys, I just changed the coolant in my GL1500, Frushed with distilled > water > > and filled wih 1/2 Prestone and 1/2 Distilled water. It said for all > aluminin > > motors. > > I think all current anti freezes are aluminum safe as just about > everything has > aluminum heads, the issue is the abrasiveness of the silicate and phosphate > additives > which is reputed to be particularly hard of motorcycle water pump bushings, > a friends > wife had two water pump failures on her hile mile F-650 Beemer that were > attributed to > mass market auto antifreeze that contains the silicates, the dex stuff is > devoid of those > and is rated for 150,000 miles or 5 years, perhaps it's splitting hairs, I > just thought for the few extra $ the dex involved one less thing to worry > about. Fred

steve pye

aprilia pegaso?

Post by steve pye » Sun Aug 26, 2001 6:58 pm

-----Original Message----- From: Tobin Slide Lampson To: Mark S. Hamlin Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Date: Saturday, August 25, 2001 11:27 PM
>I've heard that as well. Rotax appears to have >an interesting history, of which I know little. >I've heard they were big in the snowmobile >racing market.......Back in the 80's, when >I first heard the name they powered into >the desert enduro world doing quite well.
Not just racing, Rotax has been the engine in all Bombardier ( Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo etc.) products since some time in the mid sixties. Rotax also powered the Can-Am motorcycle line built by Bombardier. Rotax was originally an Austrian company that is now owned in part or all by Bombardier, I believe. I'm not that familiar with thier four-stroke technology but because of Ski-Doo, thier two-stroke technology is the stuff of legends in my neck of the woods. Steve A11