anyone in denver, co area?

DSN_KLR650
tismybutt@yahoo.com

air box holes

Post by tismybutt@yahoo.com » Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:06 pm

I've seen the air box mod where you open the top o the box and one where you open the door on the side. Which one is better, why?

squidwannabe@hotmail.com

air box holes

Post by squidwannabe@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:20 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., tismybutt@y... wrote:
> I've seen the air box mod where you open the top o the box and one > where you open the door on the side. Which one is better, why?
Please excuse the ignorant reply. My A14 comes stock with a door on the side that opens. But to have an opening at the top would be better if you are fording rivers ...

tismybutt@yahoo.com

air box holes

Post by tismybutt@yahoo.com » Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:23 pm

Let me clarify. I've seen pictures where the top of the door was removed, kinda shaved off the high spots. No rivers in my future, but I'm toying with the idea of a frozen lake!
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., squidwannabe@h... wrote: > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., tismybutt@y... wrote: > > I've seen the air box mod where you open the top o the box and one > > where you open the door on the side. Which one is better, why? > > Please excuse the ignorant reply. My A14 comes stock with a door on > the side that opens. > > But to have an opening at the top would be better if you are fording > rivers ...

thesquasher@hotmail.com

air box holes

Post by thesquasher@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 27, 2001 11:20 pm

if your thinking about this picture of the air box cover http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr65 ... erformance% 20mods%2C%20results/Mods/extrair.jpg I did this mod. I like it because the air box isn't midified. If I didn't like it I could buy a new door for under $20.00. There are 2 screws with nylok nuts in the center with fender washers holding the foam. I did it for support so the foam wouldn't get sucked into the air box. the foam is oiled just like the stock air filter and helps prefilter the air. Most people aren't going to ride through water thats 2 feet deep so you don't have to worry about water getting inside the engine. If you dumped the bike in a river thats 2 feet deep you would get water in the engine even if you didn't do the mod. I have not rode the bike in heavy rain. so I don't know if it affects it. The plastic side cover gives some protection to the door to prevent water from splashing in.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., tismybutt@y... wrote: > Let me clarify. I've seen pictures where the top of the door was > removed, kinda shaved off the high spots. No rivers in my future, but > I'm toying with the idea of a frozen lake! > >

tismybutt@yahoo.com

air box holes

Post by tismybutt@yahoo.com » Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:42 am

OK, thanks. Did you notice any difference from corked up to open?
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., thesquasher@h... wrote: > if your thinking about this picture of the air box cover > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr65 ... erformance% > 20mods%2C%20results/Mods/extrair.jpg > I did this mod. I like it because the air box isn't midified. If I > didn't like it I could buy a new door for under $20.00. There are 2 > screws with nylok nuts in the center with fender washers holding the > foam. I did it for support so the foam wouldn't get sucked into the > air box. the foam is oiled just like the stock air filter and helps > prefilter the air. Most people aren't going to ride through water > thats 2 feet deep so you don't have to worry about water getting > inside the engine. If you dumped the bike in a river thats 2 feet > deep you would get water in the engine even if you didn't do the mod. > I have not rode the bike in heavy rain. so I don't know if it affects > it. The plastic side cover gives some protection to the door to > prevent water from splashing in. > > > > > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., tismybutt@y... wrote: > > Let me clarify. I've seen pictures where the top of the door was > > removed, kinda shaved off the high spots. No rivers in my future, > but > > I'm toying with the idea of a frozen lake! > > > >

RM

air box holes

Post by RM » Thu Jun 28, 2001 12:14 pm

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 thesquasher@... wrote:
>I did this mod. I like it because the air box isn't midified. If I >didn't like it I could buy a new door for under $20.00.
A quick warning to the list: I rode around with the airbox cover removed on a KLR that had only the pilot-screw adjusted (no jetting). The engine ran hot (sign of being too lean), it vibrated more than usual (sign of being too lean), and it detonated around 3500rpm at 3/4 throttle (sign of being too lean). The detonation was fairly severe. Be careful with airbox mods. RM

tismybutt@yahoo.com

air box holes

Post by tismybutt@yahoo.com » Thu Jun 28, 2001 12:34 pm

Believe it or not mine came from KHI running rich! I plan on adding a Dyno-Jet kit and K&N at the same time.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., RM wrote: > > On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 thesquasher@h... wrote: > > >I did this mod. I like it because the air box isn't midified. If I > >didn't like it I could buy a new door for under $20.00. > > A quick warning to the list: I rode around with the airbox cover removed > on a KLR that had only the pilot-screw adjusted (no jetting). The engine > ran hot (sign of being too lean), it vibrated more than usual (sign of > being too lean), and it detonated around 3500rpm at 3/4 throttle (sign of > being too lean). The detonation was fairly severe. Be careful with > airbox mods. > > RM

Stuart Mumford

air box holes

Post by Stuart Mumford » Thu Jun 28, 2001 2:02 pm

I don't beleive it. I reckon leave the airbox alone. The stock air inlet is bigger than the carb's opening (or so I was told), so the carb is the restrictor in the system, not the airbox. I cut mine, and it was a mistake. NEXT CASE! CA Stu -----Original Message----- Believe it or not mine came from KHI running rich! I plan on adding a Dyno-Jet kit and K&N at the same time.

elcapitanuno31@hotmail.com

air box holes

Post by elcapitanuno31@hotmail.com » Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:41 pm

-I put in the K&N stage one jet kit with the Big Gun Race core and I can't get it tuned right...I followed the directions and it ran way to rich so I dropped the clip on the needle one notch and took in the mixture screw a turn and it's still rich. I called the guys at Big Gun and they told me I might have to go to a smaller Main jet...problem is, the Dyno kit doesn't come with a smaller jet. I'm at a loss, the real pain the arse is that every time I fiddle with the carb, I have to take the tank off, disconnect everything turn a screw or two, reassemble everything, roll around the block and find that I gotta do it all over again. I don't want to take the clip any lower, I understand that would limit the airflow too much and I can't go to a smaller jet. should I screw in the mixture screw another turn or two? it is 2.5 turns out currently and running rich. BTW I am a bit peeved that I bought a jet kit, what a rip off! $20 worth of parts and they charge you $60....holy pet-rock, batman! help! el capitan -- In DSN_klr650@y..., tismybutt@y... wrote:
> Believe it or not mine came from KHI running rich! I plan on adding
a
> Dyno-Jet kit and K&N at the same time. > > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., RM wrote: > > > > On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 thesquasher@h... wrote: > > > > >I did this mod. I like it because the air box isn't midified. If
I
> > >didn't like it I could buy a new door for under $20.00. > > > > A quick warning to the list: I rode around with the airbox cover > removed > > on a KLR that had only the pilot-screw adjusted (no jetting).
The
> engine > > ran hot (sign of being too lean), it vibrated more than usual
(sign
> of > > being too lean), and it detonated around 3500rpm at 3/4 throttle > (sign of > > being too lean). The detonation was fairly severe. Be careful
with
> > airbox mods. > > > > RM

thesquasher@hotmail.com

air box holes

Post by thesquasher@hotmail.com » Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:45 pm

Actually you have about $6.00 worth of parts for $60.00.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., elcapitanuno31@h... wrote: > > BTW I am a bit peeved that I bought a jet kit, what a rip off! $20 > worth of parts and they charge you $60....holy pet-rock, batman! > > help! > > el capitan >