short money for a symax

DSN_KLR650
Tom Witt

new klr owner in sw ohio, 75-80mph

Post by Tom Witt » Thu Apr 26, 2001 1:19 pm

Welp... I finally got my KLR Tuesday evening. Have only put about 35+ miles on it so far and unfortunately no opportunity to take it off road just yet. My first impressions: - I love the agility and easy manuverability, feels much lighter than expected. I have to "tippy-toe" in order to touch the ground, but it's not that difficult to keep under control and I'm learning the tricks of sliding to one side and dropping a foot when I really need to. - The "Lawnmower" sound that I get from the thumper exhaust is difficult for me to get used to. How much of a change can you get from an aftermarket setup? This has got to be my biggest hangup to date. The thumper vibrations really don't bother me too much (kinda reminds me of my Harley, hehe). - The green paint scheme isn't as bad as I originally expected and it indeed is starting to grow on me. - When turning the handlebars to the far left, the throttle and brake cables push up against the fairing. Is this normal? My KLR only has about 1000 miles on it and it's like new. I see no evidence of any mishaps and the fairing "looks" straight. Is this the case for anyone else? - I had the KLR up to about 80mph the first day I had it (BTW, what is a realistic "top end"?). I was expecting some bad vibes or disturbed handling due to some of the content I've seen with this subject. I was surprised (again) to find that it was quite smooth at those speeds. I'm also impressed with the highway-speed handling ability of this bike. Overall, as I expected, this is quite a different world than what I'm used to. When I step off this bike and onto my Triumph Trophy, it takes me a while to re-adjust and recalibrate my thinking. The Trophy feels like it weighs a TON when I first get on it!! I also need to learn that this isn't a sportbike and I can't simply blow by slower moving traffic, well.. not as easy anyway. Thanks, Tom (Southwestern Ohio) 2000 Kawasaki KLR650 1996 Triumph Trophy 900 1993 Kawasaki ZR1100 Zephyr 1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Tom Witt" wrote: > I hope I don't ginx it by posting this too soon, but I am soon to be a new KLR owner. Picking up the bike next Tuesday in trade for my Ninja 600R (and a couple other small items). I'm a member, moderator, and owner of several other ONElist, err. eGroups, err.. I mean Yahoo! Groups motorcycle related communities and am looking forward to jumping into the saddle and becoming an active member of this group too. The KLR will be a big change for me personally and an entirely new experience. The bulk of my experience has been with street bikes. I've owned several bikes over the past few years, favoring Kawasaki a bit over the others, but this one will be totally different and I look forward to having the ability to keep on going once the road ends. > > I've already done some poking around and see that this is a well established group and loaded with great resources. The member/bike pics have already given me a few ideas of what I might like to do with my own KLR once I get it in my grasp (such as hard saddlebags, aftermarket seat and windshield, etc). I'm also not real fond of the green color scheme just yet (please forgive me! Hehe), although I do tend to won green bikes, so a custom paint job may be a possibility in the future as well. Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me. Anyway, in the event that I don't use this bike "offroad" as much I as I should, I may consider more of a street tire setup as well. Has anyone done this with their KLR (I'm assuming yes)? > > Please forgive the plug, but feel free to checkout one of my other groups (over 500 users) if you have any interest: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Motorcycle_Classifieds > > Tom (Southwestern Ohio) > 2000 Kawasaki KLR650 (Hopefully here soon!) > 1998 Suzuki TL1000S (Sold it late last season) > 1996 Triumph Trophy 900 > 1996 Harley XLH Hugger (Recently departed) > 1993 Kawasaki ZR1100 Zephyr > 1993 Kawasaki ZX600 Ninja R (Will be leaving soon) > 1992 Suzuki GSX600FN Katana (Recently departed) > 1982 Yamaha Virago 750 (Sold it last year) > 1979 Suzuki GS850 (Recently departed) > 1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing > 1976 Honda CB550 (Sold!) > 1974 Honda TL125 Trials (Sold!) > 1972 Honda CB500 (Sold!)

Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com

Post by Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com » Thu Apr 26, 2001 1:49 pm

--snip
> - I had the KLR up to about 80mph the first day I had it (BTW, what > is a realistic "top end"?). I was expecting some bad vibes or
--Snip I have had mine up to 100MPH (read on my GPS) speedo was a little higher than 110.. and have been speedo reading higher that 115 so i am guessing I have been around 105-110 on it.. Dale So-Cal

Tom Witt

Post by Tom Witt » Thu Apr 26, 2001 3:20 pm

I was guessing it could achieve at least 100mph, but wasn't sure. Since I'm somewhat inexperienced on a bike of this type, I didn't think it was a very good idea for me to try to find out anytime real soon! Thanks Dale! Tom (Southwestern Ohio) 2000 Kawasaki KLR650
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dale_Johnson@a... wrote: > --snip > > - I had the KLR up to about 80mph the first day I had it (BTW, what > > is a realistic "top end"?). I was expecting some bad vibes or > --Snip > > I have had mine up to 100MPH (read on my GPS) speedo was a little > higher than 110.. and have been speedo reading higher that 115 so i > am guessing I have been around 105-110 on it.. > > Dale > So-Cal

Susan Moorhead

Post by Susan Moorhead » Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:12 pm

Tom, Congrats on the new machine. Hope you get as much enjoyment from your KLR as I do from my KLX. Marshall in Afton, Ok '95 KLXC3
----- Original Message ----- From: Tom Witt To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 1:19 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: New KLR Owner in SW Ohio, 75-80mph > Welp... I finally got my KLR Tuesday evening. Have only put about 35+ > miles on it so far and unfortunately no opportunity to take it off > road just yet. > > My first impressions: > > - I love the agility and easy manuverability, feels much lighter than > expected. I have to "tippy-toe" in order to touch the ground, but > it's not that difficult to keep under control and I'm learning the > tricks of sliding to one side and dropping a foot when I really need > to. > > - The "Lawnmower" sound that I get from the thumper exhaust is > difficult for me to get used to. How much of a change can you get > from an aftermarket setup? This has got to be my biggest hangup to > date. The thumper vibrations really don't bother me too much (kinda > reminds me of my Harley, hehe). > > - The green paint scheme isn't as bad as I originally expected and it > indeed is starting to grow on me. > > - When turning the handlebars to the far left, the throttle and brake > cables push up against the fairing. Is this normal? My KLR only has > about 1000 miles on it and it's like new. I see no evidence of any > mishaps and the fairing "looks" straight. Is this the case for anyone > else? > > - I had the KLR up to about 80mph the first day I had it (BTW, what > is a realistic "top end"?). I was expecting some bad vibes or > disturbed handling due to some of the content I've seen with this > subject. I was surprised (again) to find that it was quite smooth at > those speeds. I'm also impressed with the highway-speed handling > ability of this bike. > > Overall, as I expected, this is quite a different world than what I'm > used to. When I step off this bike and onto my Triumph Trophy, it > takes me a while to re-adjust and recalibrate my thinking. The Trophy > feels like it weighs a TON when I first get on it!! I also need to > learn that this isn't a sportbike and I can't simply blow by slower > moving traffic, well.. not as easy anyway. > > Thanks, > Tom (Southwestern Ohio) > 2000 Kawasaki KLR650 > 1996 Triumph Trophy 900 > 1993 Kawasaki ZR1100 Zephyr > 1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing >

Susan Moorhead

Post by Susan Moorhead » Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:16 pm

And why do you need to ride any bike on the street at 100 + MPH? My Avon Gripsters aren't speed rated anywhere near those kind of numbers. Just my .02 worth. Marshall in Afton, Ok '95 KLXC3
----- Original Message ----- From: Tom Witt To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 3:20 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: New KLR Owner in SW Ohio, 75-80mph > I was guessing it could achieve at least 100mph, but wasn't sure. > Since I'm somewhat inexperienced on a bike of this type, I didn't > think it was a very good idea for me to try to find out anytime real > soon! > Thanks Dale! > Tom (Southwestern Ohio) > 2000 Kawasaki KLR650 > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Dale_Johnson@a... wrote: > > --snip > > > - I had the KLR up to about 80mph the first day I had it (BTW, > what > > > is a realistic "top end"?). I was expecting some bad vibes or > > --Snip > > > > I have had mine up to 100MPH (read on my GPS) speedo was a little > > higher than 110.. and have been speedo reading higher that 115 so > i > > am guessing I have been around 105-110 on it.. > > > > Dale > > So-Cal > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >

Dale Johnson

Post by Dale Johnson » Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:35 pm

:
> And why do you need to ride any bike on the street at 100 + MPH?
My Avon
> Gripsters aren't speed rated anywhere near those kind of numbers. > > Just my .02 worth.
Because I can?? I am not sure exactily WHY I did it, it felt like the thing to do at the time.. Yes it was a risk, and a risk that I lived through.. It is also risky to just get on the KLR and ride to work 75 miles one way but I do it..

Andy Cohen

Post by Andy Cohen » Thu Apr 26, 2001 10:13 pm

Message: 14 Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:35:55 -0000 From: "Dale Johnson" Subject: Re: New KLR Owner in SW Ohio, 75-80mph :
> And why do you need to ride any bike on the street at 100 + MPH?
My Avon
> Gripsters aren't speed rated anywhere near those kind of numbers. > > Just my .02 worth.
Because I can?? I am not sure exactily WHY I did it, it felt like the thing to do at the time.. Yes it was a risk, and a risk that I lived through.. It is also risky to just get on the KLR and ride to work 75 miles one way but I do it.. Hell yeah!! it was fun and i love it!! the faster the better. Shit, i pull out of my driveway at 75. Just my .02 worth. Andy Cohen Finishlinewest Home of the 470 HP "Quake" Kawasaki KLR 650 Police Special www.finishlinewest.com "our vehicles don't compete with other vehicles, they compete with sex"

got2klr@yahoo.com

short money for a symax

Post by got2klr@yahoo.com » Sun Apr 29, 2001 10:08 am

Point your browser to http://www.motodepot.com Symax in soid colors go for $179. The store is in Southern California and the people were good to deal with. Other sites, such as Helmet Harbor, failed to return important (to me) email and did not list a phone number so you can talk to a real person before sending off the retirement fund in exchange for some helmets. Jon Zink Boston 01 KLR 650

Gord Hunt

Post by Gord Hunt » Sun Apr 29, 2001 11:16 am

I ride 150Kms everyday on the highway on my 84 KLR 600. I normally ride at 85-95mph for 30 minutes at at time and I'm running a 14 tooth sprocket on the front. Maybe its not politically correct but it sure is fun :) I regularly pull wheelies in traffic as well. Later, Gord 1984 KLR 600 1977 KZ750Twin (bored to 883) 1979 CanAm 400 (widowmaker) _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com