florida ride

DSN_KLR650
jake binkley

clutch safety switch was 2001 klr 650

Post by jake binkley » Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:15 pm

--- richardm@... wrote: Two things though, disable the clutch
> and sidestand > safety switches before they disable you. > > RM > \
I have yet to be able to figure out the concern about the clutch switch??? My 2000 will start in any gear, so why do I need to do anything? Is it only needed to start it with the clutch out and in gear? Doesn't sound a scenario that would occur very often.Inquiring minds want to know. __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices http://auctions.yahoo.com/

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:21 pm

Jake: KLR clutch cables seem to break around 6,000 miles. If you break the cable, you can start the bike in gear to get rolling. (very hard on the starter motor...) Also, if you take a fall, like a lot of us do when off road, that clutch switch can get hit and missed up. That doesn't seem real likely to me, but I hear it happens often. FWIW, I discon'ed mine just to avoid hassles. Pat Austin TX
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jake binkley wrote: > > --- richardm@g... wrote: > Two things though, disable the clutch > > and sidestand > > safety switches before they disable you. > > > > RM > > \ > I have yet to be able to figure out the concern about > the clutch switch??? My 2000 will start in any gear, > so why do I need to do anything? Is it only needed to > start it with the clutch out and in gear? Doesn't > sound a scenario that would occur very often.Inquiring > minds want to know. > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:35 pm

> I have yet to be able to figure out the concern about > the clutch switch??? My 2000 will start in any gear, > so why do I need to do anything? Is it only needed to > start it with the clutch out and in gear? Doesn't > sound a scenario that would occur very often.Inquiring > minds want to know. >
At some point the switches will fail and not allow you to start the bike. In my case the bike was all loaded up for a trip to Mexico. Wife, kids and friends were in the yard to send me off. It was very ant-climatic when the bike wouldn't start. That was the side stand switch. As far as the clutch switch, it was very amusing for the Mexican villagers to watch the American put on his helmet and jacket in the hot desert sun and them swear when his bike wouldn't start. At least these situations weren't dangerous. Kris Cichon says that these switches can fail at speed. Bogdan

Krgrife@aol.com

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:44 pm

In a message dated 4/20/01 4:22:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, IronJungle@... writes: << KLR clutch cables seem to break around 6,000 miles. If you break the cable, you can start the bike in gear to get rolling. (very hard on the starter motor...) Also, if you take a fall, like a lot of us do when off road, that clutch switch can get hit and missed up. That doesn't seem real likely to me, but I hear it happens often. FWIW, I discon'ed mine just to avoid hassles. >> As I have mentioned a couple of times before I think the following is the best way to eliminate the clutch and sidestand switches. On the left side of the bike just below the starter relay is the "starter circuit relay". It resides inside a rubber boot. If you remove this relay and make a short jumper from the black to either of the red/yellow wires you have just bypassed all the safety switch circuits as well as eliminated a relay that can't fail if it isn't there. As a side benefit you have an extra relay which is the same as the fan relay for your parts stash. The starter will now engage any time the ignition and kill switches are in the "on" position regardless of clutch or sidestand position or if the bike is in gear or not. Wed. evening Elden C. phoned me on this subject, he and Connall were in the final stages of bike prep for their Baja trip and the new bike Elden had built for Connall had intermittent starter problems. Elden did this change to both his and Connall's bike that night and called me back Thurs a.m. just before they were to leave to tell me that it had solved the problem. Seemed very strange to me to be giving any tech advice to Elden but was glad to be able in some small way to help him after all he did for me in getting my bike back together. Regards, Kurt Grife----Who will be at Songdog tomorrow if this damn rain stops, maybe even if it doesn't.

Krgrife@aol.com

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Fri Apr 20, 2001 9:57 pm

In a message dated 4/20/01 6:35:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, klr650nut@... writes: << OK, this is all making sense. There are 4 wire that run into the starter circuit relay. One is black, a red yellow or two and one other. You're saying just remove the relay totally leaving the 4 wires. Connect the black to one of the red/yellow tape up the other two, and that is it? Sounds like a good deal to me. >> I used the 4 prong connector that was left when the relay was removed and made a jumper about 2 inches long with a spade lug connector on each end, plugged one end on the terminal for the black wire, the other end on one of the red/yellow (either one is good since they are connected earlier in the circuit). Then I put it all back in the rubber boot that held the relay, sealed it with some black tape and zip-tied it in place. Kurt G.

jake binkley

Post by jake binkley » Sat Apr 21, 2001 2:08 pm

--- Krgrife@... wrote:
> In a message dated 4/20/01 6:35:23 PM Pacific > Daylight Time, > klr650nut@... writes: > > that > run into the starter circuit relay. One is black, > a > red yellow or two and one other. You're saying > just > remove the relay totally leaving the 4 wires. > Connect > the black to one of the red/yellow tape up the > other > two, and that is it? Sounds like a good deal to > me. >> > > I used the 4 prong connector that was left when the > relay was removed and > made a jumper about 2 inches long with a spade lug > connector on each end, > plugged one end on the terminal for the black wire, > the other end on one of > the red/yellow (either one is good since they are > connected earlier in the > circuit). Then I put it all back in the rubber boot > that held the relay, > sealed it with some black tape and zip-tied it in > place. > Kurt G. >
Well I think I accomplished the above but without any success. I removed the relay leaving the 4 prong connector. I made a short jumper and plugged the ends in to the black and a red/yellow. Started up, put it in gear, started letting out the clutch with the side stand down (switch in place) and the motor dies??? I tried a few other wires for the hell of it but then the starter didn't work. I used spade connectors, soldered and crimped but no success. I was so confident I was going to button it all up but them I decided a test would be in order 1st. It doesn't seem like my connectors are faulty but??? __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Apr 21, 2001 4:35 pm

----- Original Message ----- From: "jake binkley" To: Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 2:08 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650]Clutch safety switch was 2001 KLR 650 > > --- Krgrife@... wrote: > > In a message dated 4/20/01 6:35:23 PM Pacific > > Daylight Time, > > klr650nut@... writes: SNIP > Well I think I accomplished the above but without any > success. I removed the relay leaving the 4 prong > connector. I made a short jumper and plugged the ends > in to the black and a red/yellow. Started up, put it > in gear, started letting out the clutch with the side > stand down (switch in place) and the motor dies??? I > tried a few other wires for the hell of it but then > the starter didn't work. I used spade connectors, > soldered and crimped but no success. I was so > confident I was going to button it all up but them I > decided a test would be in order 1st. It doesn't seem > like my connectors are faulty but??? > Did this mod this morning and had the same results. Side stand switch was not disabled. Does start in gear. Joe Alberth A13

jake binkley

Post by jake binkley » Sat Apr 21, 2001 5:09 pm

--- Joe wrote:
> > Did this mod this morning and had the same
results.
> Side stand switch was > not disabled. Does start in gear. > Joe Alberth > A13 >
Mines a 200. Maybe that wiring only works for earlier years? __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices http://auctions.yahoo.com/

BKGADGET@aol.com

Post by BKGADGET@aol.com » Sat Apr 21, 2001 5:37 pm

I just tried the mod on my 2001 and had exactly the same results as the other listers. It will start in gear, (clutch in) but as soon as I let the clutch out with the sidestand dowm, the engine dies. I was really hoping this would work as it seems to be a simple solution as well as leaving everything else intact in case the bike was ever sold. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Inspector Gadget A15 "Piglet" 99 VFR800 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Swampy

florida ride

Post by Swampy » Sat Apr 21, 2001 8:59 pm

heya gang, here's a link to a dual sport ride coming up in Florida next month http://www.geocities.com/mrktm/windflyer.html Swampy