nklr sub-arachnoid ten days torture ride (not recommended)

DSN_KLR650
Brad Davis

oem brakepads

Post by Brad Davis » Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:08 am

Hello, I removed the pads from my KLR recently and measured them for wear. It was surprising to see that there are many miles left until the pad thickness wears to the 1mm service limit. They have 5k miles on them now and I calculated a projected life of 12k for the front and 14k or so for the rear (if memory serves me correctly). My question is if this is the normal range for the OEM pads? The rotors are not smooth, like a cars rotors usually are, but slightly rough to the touch. I guess this is normal, I am not sure. Both rotors are on the high side of the service thickness range. I was ready to install my new Dunlopads but will wait until the OEM's wear out or unless recommendations are made otherwise. Thanks, Brad __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices http://auctions.yahoo.com/

saladshooterKLR@webtv.net

oem brakepads

Post by saladshooterKLR@webtv.net » Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:35 am

I was thinking the same thing and bought a new set of pads almost a year ago. I now have just over 12,000 miles on my stock pads and still have plenty of meat left as of my check last night. Haven't even looked at the rears. I don't think my wear is typical however as I seem to remember other listers only getting 6-8000 miles out of a set of stock front pads. Don KLRA13 "Salad Shooter" 73 Suzuki TS185 Mandan, North Dakota

TLrydr@aol.com

oem brakepads

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:03 am

I changed my F and R pads at 6292 miles. Both F & R were shot, Glad i checked them, I run Tuffstop pad and am pleased with them, Much better than stock..... I wish EBC made the HH pads for the KLR, These are some kick ass pads..... Mike In a message dated 4/18/01 8:37:23 AM EST, saladshooterKLR@... writes: << remember other listers only getting 6-8000 miles out of a set of stock front pads >>

Greg Paul

oem brakepads

Post by Greg Paul » Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:20 pm

Don & Brad..... Do you guys wear really thick soled boots???? ;-)
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., saladshooterKLR@w... wrote: > I was thinking the same thing and bought a new set of pads almost a year > ago. I now have just over 12,000 miles on my stock pads and still have > plenty of meat left as of my check last night. Haven't even looked at > the rears. I don't think my wear is typical however as I seem to > remember other listers only getting 6-8000 miles out of a set of stock > front pads. > > Don KLRA13 "Salad Shooter" > 73 Suzuki TS185 > Mandan, North Dakota

saladshooterKLR@webtv.net

oem brakepads

Post by saladshooterKLR@webtv.net » Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:25 pm

OOPS, this was supposed o go to the list __________________________________________ Don & Brad..... Do you guys wear really thick soled boots???? ;-) __________________________________________ Nope, I contribute the longevity of my brake pads to the wide open spaces up here, the relative lack of traffic in the Bismarck/Mandan area and the awesome engine breaking of the KLR. I do wear out tires at a regular rate however=-) Don KLRA13 "Salad Shooter" 73 Suzuki TS185 Mandan, North Dakota

Brad Davis

oem brakepads

Post by Brad Davis » Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:34 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Greg Paul" wrote:
> Don & Brad..... Do you guys wear really thick soled boots???? ;-) >
I had my boots resoled withe sintered brake pad material! Brad Raleigh, NC

snomobill@yahoo.com

oem brakepads

Post by snomobill@yahoo.com » Wed Apr 18, 2001 9:48 pm

So Saladshooter, um, ah.... what do you call a vegitarian with diarrhea?........... sorry dude couldn't resist, cheers

Dan Oaks

nklr sub-arachnoid ten days torture ride (not recommended)

Post by Dan Oaks » Wed Apr 18, 2001 10:48 pm

Glad to have you back, Bill! I believe it is the lifetime objective of some nurses to teach you not to complain about life threatening pain. In otherwords, "You ain't seen nothin''' yet sukka!" After an episode in the local ICU over a suspected heart problem that turned out to be a fart crossed up, I told my wife, if she ever saw me doubled up in pain dying of a heart attack, just go shopping or something. -- bierdo monahanwb@... wrote:
> Amigos, > > I could sum this all up and just say I've been to the hospital for a > while, but that would prevent you all from knowing just how much fun > I've been having. So sorry for the misleading title. > > My ten day torture ride began innocuously enough on Sunday afternoon > April 8th, I had been out on my R1100RS with a bottle of beer and two > slices of leftover pizza for lunch, in my tank bag. It was a > freezing and totally uneventful day, no bikes out at all, very > unusual winter weather blowing down from Alaska. So I was home early > and pondering what to consider making for dinner. After looking in > the fridge an not coming up with anything, I shut its door and walked > out through my little living room when I though I might have been hit > by a bullet in the brain, knocking me to the floor instantly where I > hung on for a few moments and tried to gather my thoughts. I was > beginning to notice a headache of never-before-experienced proportion > coming on. I had just enough presence of mind to dial an ex- > girlfriend, who cancelled the dinner she was making and must have > outrun the cops as well, she made the 35 miles here in record time, > then succedded in taling me into going to the hospital (I am slightly > obstinate and also don't trust hospital people or EMTS, which is why > I didn't call 911). > > When I got to the hospital I got tested in many ways, finally a CT > scan revealing that I had suffered a "sub-arachnoid hemorrhage" > (serious wet brain fart to me) and they sent me to ICU, where I was > lucky enough to receive special high-performance tubing, one for in- > go, and one for out-go. I spent about 40 hours in ICU, and received > neither food nor drink while there. I finally got so hungry I stood > on my bed and hollered to the entire room (big room full of people > and nurses, doctors, etc)that if I didn't get some fucnking food > there was going to be commencing one ugly scene which would not look > good on the evening news. Immediately after I made my statement, > though, a tray with bacon, eggs, and pancakes magically appeared and > they disappeared extremely quickly. I don't think I've ever had such > delicious pancakes before! Of course, being that hungry will make > anything taste good. > > At any rate, after being poked, prodded, angiogrammed twice, CT- > scanned, MRI-d, and fully investigated in every way, they could not > get a blood pressure reading on my any higher than my normal 137/80, > and all other tests indicated that I was still enjoying an > underserved state of test-perfect health. > > So, finally, today, after scanning the second angio, I was given > permission to leave...Hurrah! I had to re-introduce myself to my > dogs upon my arrival at home, and they are still snuffling up the > bits of the stinky leftover pizza that was in the frig. > > Learned at the hospital: > This type of aneurysm kills the victim about 50% of the time, they > don't make it to the hospital. > > Of the 50% that do make it to hospital, they scan em and test em but > can only find the source of the bleed about 25% of the time. > > Some nurses are incredibly mean bitches who don't like men and hope > to see you suffer; others are truly compassionate people (like the > two who gave me a great ball-washin while I was prepping to get out > of ICU....wash em and smile, honeys, I love you! > > Everybody in there is guessing, and sometimes they are right. > > Don't try this at home. > > Backroad Bill > Sore for now, but will be back on my favorite roads again soon. > > Cheers. > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: > http://www.dualsportnews.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
-- Dan (BIERDO) Oaks, President Formtech Services, Inc. '01 XT225 '01 KLR650 '99 DR650 '82 XL250R '78 TC90 '91 Yammy 4 stroke golf cart 2 bad dogs and a sled Mfr. of Printing Equipment & Supplies formtech@... bierdo@... http://www.formtechservices.com Mfr. of 4x4 POLY Motorcycle Parts bierdo@... http://www.dirtly.com 2970 Robins Nest Ct. Saint Cloud, FL 34772-8182 USA 800 522-6257 407 957-7887 (fax)