china

DSN_KLR650
Henrik M.

bike won`t start :(

Post by Henrik M. » Wed Apr 11, 2001 9:35 pm

Hi gang, I finished the valve clearance adjustment and put the bike back together .. just to find out it won`t start. This is the situation: battery is charged and turns the starter, all electrical systems, lights horn etc. work fine. ignition coil is properly connected. Removed the tank took out the plug and hit the starter button, plug was working/sparking. Checked the electrical harness for visible problems/disconnections, all semed to be ok. Put the tank back, made sure that the fuel hoses were properly conncted (thinner one that goes to the top of the carb connected to the petcock`s vacum tube- the horisontal one, the thick grey one going to the bottom of the carb connected to the gas tube, vertical one). Losened the allen bolt on the right bottom of the carb, gas was dripping out at the bottom, so there was gas in the carb too (bike was in winter storage and I drained the carb at that time, so the gas got in there today when I put the tank on with fuel in it). Ugh .. I am out of ideas. As I said I did a valve clearance adjustment previously on the bike, the new measurements are Left Intake: 8", Right Intake 7", Left Exhaust 10", Right Exhaust 9". Could that valve clearance adjustment have caused this starting problem somehow? I tried starting it for like 30 min, the battery finally gave in but all I got was a few backfires nothing more. The bike was unused all winter and had no probolems when I put it away last fall. BTW the gas in the tank is fresh (put it in today), battery was in stored separately during the winter and periodically charged. Anyone got any ideas ? Thanks Henrik Montreal, Quebec _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

Mark S. Hamlin

Post by Mark S. Hamlin » Wed Apr 11, 2001 10:25 pm

Henrick You have spark, fuel, ...air?(check the airbox for mice?) Usually if it don't start after you worked on it, it is directly related to something you did. Go backwards and retrace your steps. That said, you got spark, fuel and air? so next Q is how bad were your valves, or, did you screw up the rotation? Misadjusted valves could result in a backfiring non-starting motor. I would pull the plug again first, check see if its wet with gas, let it dry, let the combustion chamber dry, then try, might be flooded. Then Id double check the valves if all else is cool. Mark S. Hamlin Corralitos, CA USA 2000 MZ Black Panther 1985 BMW K100 | Message: 24 | Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:35:16 | From: "Henrik M." | Subject: Bike won`t start :( | | Hi gang, | | I finished the valve clearance adjustment and put the bike back together .. | just to find out it won`t start. | | This is the situation: battery is charged and turns the starter, all | electrical systems, lights horn etc. work fine. ignition coil is properly | connected. Removed the tank took out the plug and hit the starter button, | plug was working/sparking. | Checked the electrical harness for visible problems/disconnections, all | semed to be ok. Put the tank back, made sure that the fuel hoses were | properly conncted (thinner one that goes to the top of the carb connected to | the petcock`s vacum tube- the horisontal one, the thick grey one going to | the bottom of the carb connected to the gas tube, vertical one). Losened the | allen bolt on the right bottom of the carb, gas was dripping out at the | bottom, so there was gas in the carb too (bike was in winter storage and I | drained the carb at that time, so the gas got in there today when I put the | tank on with fuel in it). Ugh .. I am out of ideas. As I said I did a valve | clearance adjustment previously on the bike, the new measurements are Left | Intake: 8", Right Intake 7", Left Exhaust 10", Right Exhaust 9". Could that | valve clearance adjustment have caused this starting problem somehow? I | tried starting it for like 30 min, the battery finally gave in but all I got | was a few backfires nothing more. The bike was unused all winter and had no | probolems when I put it away last fall. BTW the gas in the tank is fresh | (put it in today), battery was in stored separately during the winter and | periodically charged. | | Anyone got any ideas ? | | Thanks | | Henrik | Montreal, Quebec | _________________________________________________________________________ | Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com | | | | ________________________________________________________________________ | ________________________________________________________________________ | | Message: 25 | Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:36:14 -0700 | From: "Rich Kickbush" | Subject: Re: 500 mile break in $$$$$$$ | | | ----- Original Message ----- | From: Dan Oaks | To: Ronssito@... | Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com | Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 7:09 PM | Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] 500 mile break in $$$$$$$ | | | | | Ronssito@... wrote: | | > My dealer wants $300 (including tax and parts). The service includes valve | > adjustment, oil and filter, and a bunch of other minor things. This seems | > outrageous, because I had no damn idea this bike is so expensive to maintain. | > These are expensive toys! | > | > David | > Silicon Valley | > | | And now begin the alimony payments! Drop your pants and bend over, you're about | to learn the true meaning of the word "service". | | -- | bierdo | | 'Amen, bro, amen'! Now work out what you earn a day, work out what parts you would need and what they will cost you. Don't include tools, manuals, you gotta get these sometime anyway. Chances are, at those prices, you could take a day off work, fix your KLR, learn something and be satisfied that the job was done right, and not be that far behind. | | Rich | Promoting non-productiveness everywhere. | | | | | [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] | | | | ________________________________________________________________________ | ________________________________________________________________________ | | | | Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ | |

Kurt Simpson (Dual Sport News)

Post by Kurt Simpson (Dual Sport News) » Wed Apr 11, 2001 11:18 pm

1. run button in "Run " position? 2. clear tube coming from float bowl unkinked? 3. intake valves are side by side to the rear right? 4. exhaust valves are side by side to the front right? 5. not opening the throttle to start right? 6. did you remove the cam chain tensioner bolt, washer and spring before doing the adjustment? 7. did you only remove the cam chain tensioner bolt, washer and spring? Kurt -----Original Message----- From: Henrik M. [mailto:hall90@...] Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 2:35 AM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Bike won`t start :( Hi gang, I finished the valve clearance adjustment and put the bike back together .. just to find out it won`t start. This is the situation: battery is charged and turns the starter, all electrical systems, lights horn etc. work fine. ignition coil is properly connected. Removed the tank took out the plug and hit the starter button, plug was working/sparking. Checked the electrical harness for visible problems/disconnections, all semed to be ok. Put the tank back, made sure that the fuel hoses were properly conncted (thinner one that goes to the top of the carb connected to the petcock`s vacum tube- the horisontal one, the thick grey one going to the bottom of the carb connected to the gas tube, vertical one). Losened the allen bolt on the right bottom of the carb, gas was dripping out at the bottom, so there was gas in the carb too (bike was in winter storage and I drained the carb at that time, so the gas got in there today when I put the tank on with fuel in it). Ugh .. I am out of ideas. As I said I did a valve clearance adjustment previously on the bike, the new measurements are Left Intake: 8", Right Intake 7", Left Exhaust 10", Right Exhaust 9". Could that valve clearance adjustment have caused this starting problem somehow? I tried starting it for like 30 min, the battery finally gave in but all I got was a few backfires nothing more. The bike was unused all winter and had no probolems when I put it away last fall. BTW the gas in the tank is fresh (put it in today), battery was in stored separately during the winter and periodically charged. Anyone got any ideas ? Thanks Henrik Montreal, Quebec _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Support Dual Sport News by subscribing at: http://www.geocities.com/~klrdsn/page2 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

IronJungle@Hotmail.com

Post by IronJungle@Hotmail.com » Thu Apr 12, 2001 6:48 am

Henrik: Try this. Remove the plug. Stick it back into the rubber plug boot. Now "ground" the plug by pressing the threads of the plug to the engine metal. Crank the starter just for a sec. Do you see nice big sparks jump across the gap? If yes, you can be pretty sure the electronics are working fine. Caution: - NO GAS or GAS FUMES in the area or you will blow up - when you ground the plug, you better hold onto the rubber boot or you will get shocked. Pat Austin, TX
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Henrik M." wrote: > Hi gang, > > I finished the valve clearance adjustment and put the bike back together .. > just to find out it won`t start. > > This is the situation: battery is charged and turns the starter, all > electrical systems, lights horn etc. work fine. ignition coil is properly > connected. Removed the tank took out the plug and hit the starter button, > plug was working/sparking. > Checked the electrical harness for visible problems/disconnections, all > semed to be ok. Put the tank back, made sure that the fuel hoses were > properly conncted (thinner one that goes to the top of the carb connected to > the petcock`s vacum tube- the horisontal one, the thick grey one going to > the bottom of the carb connected to the gas tube, vertical one). Losened the > allen bolt on the right bottom of the carb, gas was dripping out at the > bottom, so there was gas in the carb too (bike was in winter storage and I > drained the carb at that time, so the gas got in there today when I put the > tank on with fuel in it). Ugh .. I am out of ideas. As I said I did a valve > clearance adjustment previously on the bike, the new measurements are Left > Intake: 8", Right Intake 7", Left Exhaust 10", Right Exhaust 9". Could that > valve clearance adjustment have caused this starting problem somehow? I > tried starting it for like 30 min, the battery finally gave in but all I got > was a few backfires nothing more. The bike was unused all winter and had no > probolems when I put it away last fall. BTW the gas in the tank is fresh > (put it in today), battery was in stored separately during the winter and > periodically charged. > > Anyone got any ideas ? > > Thanks > > Henrik > Montreal, Quebec > ______________________________________________________________________ ___ > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

squidwannabe@hotmail.com

Post by squidwannabe@hotmail.com » Thu Apr 12, 2001 8:25 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Henrik M." wrote:
> Hi gang, > > I finished the valve clearance adjustment and put the bike back
together ..
> just to find out it won`t start. > > This is the situation: battery is charged and turns the starter,
all
> electrical systems, lights horn etc. work fine. ignition coil is
properly
> connected. Removed the tank took out the plug and hit the starter
button,
> plug was working/sparking. > Checked the electrical harness for visible
problems/disconnections, all
> semed to be ok. Put the tank back, made sure that the fuel hoses
were
> properly conncted (thinner one that goes to the top of the carb
connected to
> the petcock`s vacum tube- the horisontal one, the thick grey one
going to
> the bottom of the carb connected to the gas tube, vertical one).
Losened the
> allen bolt on the right bottom of the carb, gas was dripping out at
the
> bottom, so there was gas in the carb too (bike was in winter
storage and I
> drained the carb at that time, so the gas got in there today when I
put the
> tank on with fuel in it). Ugh .. I am out of ideas. As I said I did
a valve
> clearance adjustment previously on the bike, the new measurements
are Left
> Intake: 8", Right Intake 7", Left Exhaust 10", Right Exhaust 9".
Could that
> valve clearance adjustment have caused this starting problem
somehow? I
> tried starting it for like 30 min, the battery finally gave in but
all I got
> was a few backfires nothing more. The bike was unused all winter
and had no
> probolems when I put it away last fall. BTW the gas in the tank is
fresh
> (put it in today), battery was in stored separately during the
winter and
> periodically charged. > > Anyone got any ideas ? > > Thanks > > Henrik > Montreal, Quebec >
______________________________________________________________________ ___
> Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at
http://www.hotmail.com Sounds to me like the valves we not adjusted properly... The bike ran before hand right ? I think if the valves aren't adjusted properly, you will have poor compression and / or fuel mixture Adam Montreal , Que

squidwannabe@hotmail.com

Post by squidwannabe@hotmail.com » Thu Apr 12, 2001 8:36 am

> Hi gang, > > I finished the valve clearance adjustment and put the bike back
together ..
> just to find out it won`t start. > > This is the situation: battery is charged and turns the starter,
all
> electrical systems, lights horn etc. work fine. ignition coil is
properly
> connected. Removed the tank took out the plug and hit the starter
button,
> plug was working/sparking. > Checked the electrical harness for visible
problems/disconnections, all
> semed to be ok. Put the tank back, made sure that the fuel hoses
were
> properly conncted (thinner one that goes to the top of the carb
connected to
> the petcock`s vacum tube- the horisontal one, the thick grey one
going to
> the bottom of the carb connected to the gas tube, vertical one).
Losened the
> allen bolt on the right bottom of the carb, gas was dripping out at
the
> bottom, so there was gas in the carb too (bike was in winter
storage and I
> drained the carb at that time, so the gas got in there today when I
put the
> tank on with fuel in it). Ugh .. I am out of ideas. As I said I did
a valve
> clearance adjustment previously on the bike, the new measurements
are Left
> Intake: 8", Right Intake 7", Left Exhaust 10", Right Exhaust 9".
Could that
> valve clearance adjustment have caused this starting problem
somehow? I
> tried starting it for like 30 min, the battery finally gave in but
all I got
> was a few backfires nothing more. The bike was unused all winter
and had no
> probolems when I put it away last fall. BTW the gas in the tank is
fresh
> (put it in today), battery was in stored separately during the
winter and
> periodically charged. > > Anyone got any ideas ? > > Thanks > > Henrik > Montreal, Quebec >
______________________________________________________________________ ___
> Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at
http://www.hotmail.com

squidwannabe@hotmail.com

Post by squidwannabe@hotmail.com » Thu Apr 12, 2001 8:38 am

"The bike was unused all winter and had no probolems when I put it away last fall" Did you put fuel stabilizer in ?

richardm@gowinnt.com

Post by richardm@gowinnt.com » Thu Apr 12, 2001 9:29 am

>tried starting it for like 30 min, the battery finally gave in but >all I got was a few backfires nothing more.
Was the engine turned over with the cam tensioner removed? I wonder if maybe the cam chain jumped a tooth or two. RM

Kurt Simpson

Post by Kurt Simpson » Thu Apr 12, 2001 10:39 am

"The bike was unused all winter and had no probolems when I put it away last fall" Did you put fuel stabilizer in ? __________________ yes, if not, the jets could be gummed up...you should be able to squirt some starter fluid in there just to see if it starts to rumble. If it starts you'll have to pull or tilt the carb and drop the float bowl and clean the jets.... also, and we're just firing ideas at you...you did keep inches and millimeters straight right? so the adjustments are in inches? What you said about 15-20 Degrees off seems excessive on the pointers with the head...Mr. T and others are better on this but I should think those pointers should be very close to parallel.... Don't panic...there is a logical solution to this... Kurt

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Thu Apr 12, 2001 11:11 am

> What you said about 15-20 Degrees off seems excessive on the pointers with > the head...Mr. T and others are better on this but I should think those > pointers should be very close to parallel.... > > Don't panic...there is a logical solution to this... > > Kurt > >
I drew out 15-20 degrees; it's definitely excessive but then you'd think it would run roughly and backfire, not refuse to start at all. It's hard to speak in degrees when you just eyeball. You should measure the angle . Did you pour in fuel stabilizer and run it through the carb before storing? If not I bet Kurt's right; it's a gummed up carb. Bogdan