punky & lew back from alabama nklr

DSN_KLR650
Steve Thomas

2000 klr for sale

Post by Steve Thomas » Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:07 am

I am selling my 2000 KLR if anyone is interested please contact me off list. It has less than 900 miles on it & I'm asking $4500.00 for it. Thanks Steve T. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

ephilride@aol.com

punky & lew back from alabama nklr

Post by ephilride@aol.com » Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:54 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., punkynlew@h... wrote: big snip
> Critter is now wearing highway biased Metzler Tourance tires. > My understanding is that even knobby tires quickly load up with mud > packed between the treads and become just as useless as a highway > tire in muddy conditions.
Lew, When a knobby gets fully loaded up with "Alabama Gumbo," riding swiftly can be a challenge. But a knobby is a superior choice for dirt riding in sloppy conditions. A street tire may be the best overall choice for your upcoming trip, but when you are stuck on a snotty-slick section of the Trans-Am Trail, just after a brief rain shower, the extra mileage gained out of that street tire will soon be forgotten (and may be cussed). A small uphill climb on a dry clay road becomes impossible on a street tire when dampened by that afternoon shower. Or, when the front end skids around like it has a mind of its own and you are forced to drop down to first gear and extend your legs out like outriggers for mile after stinkin' mile..... A heavy bike on slick dirt, with nerry a knob to search fer terra firma, hain't no fun ah 'tall. For that matter, a heavy bike in real dirt aint much fun either. Learn to read the "trail" and ride where your bike and its tires let you. I have walked many sections to see if me and my rig were capable of the trail ahead. I have charged ahead when I shouldn't have (and paid the price) and I have, in rare times of better judgement, turned around and taken a the "good road" back to civilization. Its all about compromises, one bike and one tire can't do it all. But, a rider, who chooses wisely, can maximize his fun while minimizing his risks. Good luck on your ride! --Knot Chattanooga, TN USA