any one on list in central missouri ?

DSN_KLR650
Brad Davis

1 gasket or 2, balancer upgrade question

Post by Brad Davis » Wed Mar 28, 2001 1:21 pm

I am getting parts together to do the balancer chain upgrade. Looking at the parts diagrams on buykawaski.com it looks like I will need to replace two gaskets, one on 14031 (cover-generator) and one on 14025 (cover, generator case). What has been the experience of the list on this matter? I know that Zachariah Mully's fine post listing his instructions only mentioned replacing the outer gasket and that in his case, the inner gasket came off without tearing. I just ordered the parts and tools from Fred and he was under the impression that only the outer gasket needed replacing (correct me if I am wrong here Fred). I should have all the parts from him in less than 2 weeks and am looking forward to doing the upgrade - peace of mind sort of thing. If any one on the list lives near Raleigh, NC and wants to do the upgrade, you are cordially invited to come on over to my house some weekend day here real soon and we'll have a Springtime Balancer Spring upgrade party (I'll have the magneto puller and wrench). PS - Are the magneto puller and wrench compatible with any other Kawasaki bike? Brad Davis A9 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/?.refer=text

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Wed Mar 28, 2001 1:30 pm

I just ordered the parts and tools from Fred and he was under the impression that only the outer gasket needed replacing (correct me if I am wrong here Fred). I should have all the parts from him in less than 2 weeks and am looking forward to doing the upgrade - peace of mind sort of thing. Brad- I found that the inner gasket was constructed of a much thicker impregnated material where as the outer gaskter was made of a very thin fiberous material (almost like paper). You might be able to salvage the outer gasket if you are careful when you pull of the first cover, but I had trouble with that because the stator is bolted to the inside of the cover, so moves on its own as you are trying to pull it off. I tried the gasket sealer method that someone (Steve Anderson perhaps?) recommended.. I put RTV on both mating surfaces of the cover/engine and let it dry so that it was tacky. Then I put the gasket on and bolted everything together. The added befit is that the gasket doesn't move around. YMMV. Also, remember to drain the oil before doing this procedure (the landlord won't be happy to see the oil stain when I move out). Good Luck. ------------------ Zack SE DC KLR650A5 "Buster" ZG1000A1 COG #4664

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Wed Mar 28, 2001 4:37 pm

> I will need to replace > two gaskets, one on 14031 (cover-generator) and one on > 14025 (cover, generator case). What has been the > experience of the list on this matter? I know that > Zachariah Mully's fine post listing his instructions > only mentioned replacing the outer gasket and that in > his case, the inner gasket came off without tearing. >
I've participated in three of these operations and in none of these did the inner gasket tear. The outer gasket tore once. A word of advice before removing the magneto cover remove the countershaft sprocket cover. There's a wiring harness in the right side of the magneto cover near the c.s. sprocket. Don't pull on that harness but instead swivel the magneto cover off from the left keeping the right side near the bike. Then hold up the cover with a bunge or zip tie. Also, if you lay the bike down you won't have to remove the oil and nothing will fall out. Bogdan

Hubbard738@aol.com

any one on list in central missouri ?

Post by Hubbard738@aol.com » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:21 pm

Looking for someone in central Mo. who is on the list. Seems like lots of folks on east and west coast. What about Mid America?