why not motorcycles? nklr

DSN_KLR650
rbizarro@uniserve.com

triumph tiger nklr

Post by rbizarro@uniserve.com » Sat Sep 16, 2000 8:41 pm

Hello everyone. Well I finally found out where everyone has been hiding. After holidays I did notice I havn't been reciving any mail from the list. I am looking at a 97 Triumph Tiger, yah I know that my KLR is the greatest all round bike. But I just want to try something different for some touring. My question is, are their any problems to look out for when purchasing such a bike? Other than the usuall. Also is this bike as dirt worthy as the KLR due to the weight? Please respond to my e-mail address. Thank you all! Rick Bizarro Nothern BC Canada.

Stuart Mumford

triumph tiger nklr

Post by Stuart Mumford » Fri Nov 10, 2000 11:23 am

The new 2001 Tigers have a higher displacement motor than last year. I believe the old ones were 885cc, the new ones share the 955cc fuel injected triple with my Sprint and the Speed Triples. The Daytona motors have different internals. I have been really happy with my Triumph, the motor is bulletproof and has torque on that thing is incredible. 2500 - 9700 rpm pulls hard all the way, then the rev limiter kicks in. At least that's what the manual says, I would never wind a motor up like that. I have never ridden a Tiger, so I'm not familiar with the ergonomics of it, but I'll bet with the same motor as my Sprint, it will pull down a house. I think the Tiger may be a great bike on (relatively) smooth roads. If you're looking for a bike like you describe below, test drive a Sprint. It isn't as fast as the Bandit or Yamaha or that other green thing that whatshisname owns, but it handles great, is comfortable, and in the hands of an experienced rider, it can keep up with all but the fastest bikes and most expert rider in the twisties. Or so I've heard. Plus it has available hard luggage , which looks cherry. And you can do 130 mph (indicated) with the luggage on. Or so I've heard. A good place to start researching on Triumphs is http://www.triumphnet.com CA Stu Stuart Mumford 99 KLR650 A13 99 Sprint ST PS FWIW I agree with Russell's analogy of this list as a family. I'm coming to everyone's house for Thanksgiving. PPS I agree with Mr. Kaub's change the oil every day philosophy, too.
> I think I'm looking for a more sporty, touring, highway friendly and
more
> modern technically kinda bike. My favorites so far (not necessarily
in
> order) are: Honda VFR800FI, BMW R1150GS, Suzuki Bandit 1200S,
Yamaha FZ1,
> Triumph Tiger, Buell M2 Cyclone and HD Dyna Super Glide Sport

John J Fisher

triumph tiger nklr

Post by John J Fisher » Sat Nov 11, 2000 4:01 am

I own a 1996 Speed Triple with the 885cc engine. The torque on it is incredible as well. It pulls so hard and smoothly at ANY rpm. Its frickin eery! Beautiful sounding as well. Triples, best of both worlds. Got the throaty sound like a twin with great engine feed back and yet the awesome power of a 4 cylinder. Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:23:00 -0800 From: "Stuart Mumford" Subject: RE:Triumph Tiger NKLR The new 2001 Tigers have a higher displacement motor than last year. I believe the old ones were 885cc, the new ones share the 955cc fuel injected triple with my Sprint and the Speed Triples. The Daytona motors have different internals. I have been really happy with my Triumph, the motor is bulletproof and has torque on that thing is incredible. 2500 - 9700 rpm pulls hard all the way, then the rev limiter kicks in. At least that's what the manual says, I would never wind a motor up like that. I have never ridden a Tiger, so I'm not familiar with the ergonomics of it, but I'll bet with the same motor as my Sprint, it will pull down a house. I think the Tiger may be a great bike on (relatively) smooth roads. If you're looking for a bike like you describe below, test drive a Sprint. It isn't as fast as the Bandit or Yamaha or that other green thing that whatshisname owns, but it handles great, is comfortable, and in the hands of an experienced rider, it can keep up with all but the fastest bikes and most expert rider in the twisties. Or so I've heard. Plus it has available hard luggage , which looks cherry. And you can do 130 mph (indicated) with the luggage on. Or so I've heard. A good place to start researching on Triumphs is http://www.triumphnet.com CA Stu Stuart Mumford 99 KLR650 A13 99 Sprint ST

jirvine@nmsu.edu

triumph tiger nklr

Post by jirvine@nmsu.edu » Sat Nov 11, 2000 7:07 am

At 05:01 AM 11/11/00 -0500, John J Fisher wrote:
> The Daytona motors have >different internals. I have been really happy with my Triumph, the motor is >bulletproof and has torque on that thing is incredible. 2500 - 9700 rpm >pulls hard all the way, then the rev limiter kicks in. At least that's what >the manual says, I would never wind a motor up like that.
That seems like moto abuse, not letting it do what it was born and made for. Rev that sucker up! Let the thing fulfill it's destiny, there is no finer experience! I have a Blackbird and taking it to 11k and grabbing the next gear is what you're payin for. Go Go

Stuart Mumford

why not motorcycles? nklr

Post by Stuart Mumford » Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:03 pm

>It's the Cult following that makes me ride..
Glaze your eyes over and stare into space like you have had a lobotomy, and say in your best monotonal drone the following; "It's not a cult, we're just a group of friends that like the same motorcycle." CA Stu

Stuart Mumford

triumph tiger nklr

Post by Stuart Mumford » Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:04 pm

>MR...that test is dated because of the news that Triumph is releasing their >Hooligan version of the Tiger in 2001...it will have the big bad 955 engine >(130 hp? we'll see) as opposed to the detuned 885 (87 hp)...the difference >is going to be significant...
I'm guessing it will be tuned for torque and have the internals the same as the Sprint, not the Daytona. The Daytona has different pistons, cams, connecting rods, and also different coating on the bores. It has the high HP numbers, Kurt, I'm guessing the Tiger will have 98-105 HP tops, like the Sprints, but torque-a-plenty from 2400 to redline. CA Stu

bill e goat

triumph tiger nklr

Post by bill e goat » Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:11 pm

If you are interested in owning a Tiger you should peruse the e- groups TriumphTiger site. I was for a long time interested in owning a Tiger. Posts from this site's members indicate a fair amount of perplexing problems endemic to the model; not much in the way of taking these bikes off-road (don't wanna go there); mods seem expensive and limited in scope. I no longer want to own one, though they are kind of cool. I've ridden two of the earlier versions, and must say I liked them for road use, but the muffler arrangement limits your options for luggage. Backroad E. Goat