now bike show - nklr

DSN_KLR650
jkmcreyn@hotmail.com

handguards????

Post by jkmcreyn@hotmail.com » Sat Nov 18, 2000 2:53 pm

I took my 2000 KLR650 to my parents house for the winter (to keep it in the barn out of the ice and snow). My old man took 'er for a spin out back one day, and parked it by the creek. When he came back, the bike had fallen over, cracking the left handguard. 1) How much will a new one be? 2) Where can I get one? Thanks, I just joined this group today...any riders from the St. Louis area on here??? JOHN

Zachariah Mully

handguards????

Post by Zachariah Mully » Sat Nov 18, 2000 3:16 pm

John- Junk the stock handguards (actually save them)... And get yourself a set of aluminum bark busters. Drill and tap them and then once they're mounted you can screw your stockers on to the bark busters and maintain the stock look with vastly better hand protection. Aluminum bark busters should be SOP on all KLR's in my opinion.. I have found use for them even while lane splitting here in DC (my cheapo Maier all plastic handguards do nothing when the KLR's wide handbars smack a taxi). Ride Safe, Zack 1991 KLR650 "Buster" 1986 Concours
On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 jkmcreyn@... wrote: > I took my 2000 KLR650 to my parents house for the winter (to keep it > in the barn out of the ice and snow). My old man took 'er for a spin > out back one day, and parked it by the creek. When he came back, the > bike had fallen over, cracking the left handguard. > > 1) How much will a new one be? > 2) Where can I get one? > > Thanks, I just joined this group today...any riders from the St. > Louis area on here??? > > JOHN > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > >

Karl Raupp

now bike show - nklr

Post by Karl Raupp » Sat Nov 18, 2000 7:27 pm

Kinda seasonal, sorta but not really. They did have one in the showroom I could buy right now but since winter is basically here, I didn't want to make the payments on it just to park it in the garage until March or April. So I ordered one with the arrival time early spring. I learned from the GS maillist that especially on either US coast, if they have a GS and you want one, get it right NOW!!! Availability has been bad, so whatever that is worth. I was lucky that I was offered a discount on one (didn't have to ask) plus I got 15% off all parts and acces. for 6 months after picking the bike up. Nice folks they are. I did it under their Owners Choice thing too, as it was the only way I can afford it as well. It's not a lease though, it's a regular loan with a balloon on it at the end. Still, it makes a normally out of reach bike affordable to me. I've decided to keep my KLR, I initially was gonna sell it but there is no way on this green earth I am going to take the Teutonic-Titanic off road. No chance. So the KLR will be the play bike and the GS the open-road tourer. Turns out a bunch of riders on the GS list also have KLR's and save the big bux machine for road riding. FWIW Karl
> Karl, > Just curious, is the 5 month wait a seasonal matter or would that
be typical
> order time with BMW? > I'm bikeless now and I had decided on a new KLR in the spring but
recent
> info on the BMW Owners Choice leasing has me thinking. > I like the KLR but I've always lusted after the big GS Beemer, it's
always
> been just beyond what I could afford.....until I saw those lease
quotes!
> > Steve Pye