stripped threads in frame hole - help?

DSN_KLR650
run2hills@aol.com

stripped threads in frame hole - help?

Post by run2hills@aol.com » Wed May 31, 2000 11:11 pm

Dear, dear List, Removing the upper bracket of the coolant reserve tank, I have managed to strip the threads in the frame mounting hole. There seems to have been lots of upwards pressure on the bracket, because as I was removing the bolt with a socket wrench, it didn't come out straight, but rather at an upwards angle (I thought that the removal torque required was a bit high, and it was getting dark, so I didn't see the impending doom). I think that I could bend the bracket downwards to realign with the mounting hole for reassembly, but what to do with the stripped threads in the frame? Distraught in Colorado, Eric A13L with 1000 smiles, now almost in tears PS-need threads stripped? I'm your man.

run2hills@aol.com

nklr stripped threads in frame hole ii

Post by run2hills@aol.com » Wed May 31, 2000 11:36 pm

Hello again all, For future reference, if a bracket is flexed tightly to fit and bolted down in, say, 2 places, how do you remove one of the bolts without the force of the stored energy shearing (and thereby stripping) the threads? Question number two: how do you know if the thing that you are removing has been compressed to assemble in the first place? Thank you and God bless you one and all, Eric- the thread stripper A13L
>>> Removing the upper bracket of the coolant reserve tank, I have managed
to strip the threads in the frame mounting hole. There seems to have been lots of upwards pressure on the bracket, because as I was removing the bolt with a socket wrench, it didn't come out straight, but rather at an upwards angle (I thought that the removal torque required was a bit high, and it was getting dark, so I didn't see the impending doom). I think that I could bend the bracket downwards to realign with the mounting hole for reassembly, but what to do with the stripped threads in the frame?