Re: Tragedy Strikes! B9 Robot Builder Rips Arm Wide Open!! (Viewer D

dschulpius

Tragedy Strikes! B9 Robot Builder Rips Arm Wide Open!! (Viewer Discr

Post by dschulpius » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:11 pm

Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\B9YAHOO\attachments\\DSC01347.JPG]DSC01347.JPG[/url]
  1. [url=file:///D:\B9YAHOO\attachments\\DSC01344.JPG]DSC01344.JPG[/url]
hehehe. Sorry guys. Couldn't help the drama. 

Well actually the title wasn't too far off. It was a tragedy of sorts. Another case of being tired, in a hurry and frustrated. While upgrading a servo in my B9 arm build I neglected to remove a screw sticking up. I powered up the arm and moved it out of the torso under computer control. The flange of Will Huff's arm skin was still anchored to the forso. and the screw grabbed one of the bellows and stretched it out till...... RRRIIIPPP! It happened right in front of my eyes and so fast all I could do was drop my jaw (along with a warm, wet feeling down the leg of my pants). Kinda like watching a train wreck. 

Thank God Will was in the middle of the last arm run of the year and was able to fit me in. Thanks Will!! What I don't have in my brains, Will now has in his wallet. LOL! (grown). Attached are a few tragic pictures. 

Dave Schulpius

Jim Cruff

Post by Jim Cruff » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Attachments :
  1. [url=file:///D:\B9YAHOO\attachments\\Crack (2).jpg]Crack (2).jpg[/url]
Reminds me of the day I ran over my torso. I was doing some Bondo work. At the end of the evening, I backed my truck into the garage and forgot my torso was on the garage floor. The sound of the cracking torso was horrendous.
So sorry about your arm, Dave.
On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM, dschulpius@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
[Attachment(s) from dschulpius@gmail.com [B9Builders] included below]

Well actually the title wasn't too far off. It was a tragedy of sorts. Another case of being tired, in a hurry and frustrated. While upgrading a servo in my B9 arm build I neglected to remove a screw sticking up. I powered up the arm and moved it out of the torso under computer control. The flange of Will Huff's arm skin was still anchored to the forso. and the screw grabbed one of the bellows and stretched it out till...... RRRIIIPPP! It happened right in front of my eyes and so fast all I could do was drop my jaw (along with a warm, wet feeling down the leg of my pants). Kinda like watching a train wreck.

Thank God Will was in the middle of the last arm run of the year and was able to fit me in. Thanks Will!! What I don't have in my brains, Will now has in his wallet. LOL! (grown). Attached are a few tragic pictures.

Dave Schulpius

Jeff Main

Post by Jeff Main » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:54 am

The ripped arm - oh the pain
The Will H. replacement - oh joy oh bliss
On Friday, December 11, 2015, Jim Cruff jimcruff@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:
[Attachment(s) from Jim Cruff included below]
Reminds me of the day I ran over my torso. I was doing some Bondo work. At the end of the evening, I backed my truck into the garage and forgot my torso was on the garage floor. The sound of the cracking torso was horrendous.

Dave Schulpius

David Schulpius

Post by David Schulpius » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks for the support guys. Sometimes the only way I can keep going on a project like this is just to admit that sometimes I'm a bonehead, in over my head and laugh at myself. Being able to share the tragic comedy of (some of) it with you guys helps. But with each failure, I learn.
OMG Jim, Backing over the torso with the car has got to be the ultimate brain fart. You must have felt terrible. How did it turn out? Was it salvageable and paint up OK after repairing it?
Changing Subject (kind of):
As long as I mentioned upgrading servos in my arm build; I'm in the process of redesigning both the claw open and close and the side to side wrist mechanisms.
I'm done with the claw rebuild and it turned out nice. The old design caused binding as I was trying to move the load of the claws with one servo from a center point of an unfixed rod. I changed to a smaller servo and added a second. With two small servos ganged together (one reverse wired) I was able to move the drive point from a center point to one point on each end of the rod. This gave me a good strong, stable and fixed movement.
As far as the wrist side to side mech; I was breaking the gears on the analog metal geared "Power HD 1501" servo I was using. It had the power to lift the load but it's not built to hold up to the stress of it's own power. My 3 pound wrist and claw section was just too much for this servo to lift vertically and hold up over time. I've come up with a way to mount a ServoCity gearbox in that little space (like the one with the big gear shown in the attached pic for lifting my wrist). This should easily stand up to this torture. It only adds 3 oz over my old design to the weight of the arm. With an analog HS-485HB or HS-645MG servo installed in the gearbox this should give me strong, smooth jitter free and quiet movement at this joint. I did try using a programmable "Ultra Torque" HS-7950TH here. It was plenty strong and with a Titanium gear set would have stood up to the pounding. However I had many problems with it in this application including jitter under load and it bouncing around in the deadband when the robot moved trying to stay centered. Adjusting it with the programing feature didn't help. Also, I couldn't get it to ever completely release once powered up. Sometimes analog is the only way I guess.
Cheers! Dave Schulpius
On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 7:54 AM, Jeff Main jeff.c.main@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Dave Schulpius

Mike Zack

Post by Mike Zack » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:22 am

Oh no!!! Sorry, Dave...

On 12/11/2015 7:11 PM, dschulpius@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Dave Schulpius

Jerry Chevalier

Post by Jerry Chevalier » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles Dave. I recall one Sunday morning many moons ago, parts of a b9 sliding off the torso and smashing on the driveway during a build off setup. In addition to those parts being destroyed, the torso was damaged and the neon in the glass that would later lees to a failure. All because I was tired and in a hurry. Your not a lone my friend. However sometimes you just need to step away 

Misspelling courtesy of my iPhone 6 Plus
On Dec 12, 2015, at 10:07 AM, David Schulpius dschulpius@wi.rr.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Thanks for the support guys. Sometimes the only way I can keep going on a project like this is just to admit that sometimes I'm a bonehead, in over my head and laugh at myself. Being able to share the tragic comedy of (some of) it with you guys helps. But with each failure, I learn. 
OMG Jim, Backing over the torso with the car has got to be the ultimate brain fart. You must have felt terrible. How did it turn out? Was it salvageable and paint up OK after repairing it?
As long as I mentioned upgrading servos in my arm build; I'm in the process of redesigning both the claw open and close and the side to side wrist mechanisms. 
I'm done with the claw rebuild and it turned out nice. The old design caused binding as I was trying to move the load of the claws with one servo from a center point of an unfixed rod. I changed to a smaller servo and added a second. With two small servos ganged together (one reverse wired) I was able to move the drive point from a center point to one point on each end of the rod. This gave me a good strong, stable and fixed movement. 
As far as the wrist side to side mech; I was breaking the gears on the analog metal geared "Power HD 1501" servo I was using. It had the power to lift the load but it's not built to hold up to the stress of it's own power. My 3 pound wrist and claw section was just too much for this servo to lift vertically and hold up over time. I've come up with a way to mount a ServoCity gearbox in that little space (like the one with the big gear shown in the attached pic for lifting my wrist). This should easily stand up to this torture. It only adds 3 oz over my old design to the weight of the arm. With an analog HS-485HB or HS-645MG servo installed in the gearbox this should give me strong, smooth jitter free and quiet movement at this joint. I did try using a programmable "Ultra Torque" HS-7950TH here. It was plenty strong and with a Titanium gear set would have stood up to the pounding. However I had many problems  with it in this application including jitter under load and it bouncing around in the deadband when the robot moved trying to stay centered. Adjusting it with the programing feature didn't help. Also, I couldn't get it to ever completely release once powered up. Sometimes analog is the only way I guess.  
Cheers! Dave Schulpius
On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 7:54 AM, Jeff Main jeff.c.main@gmail.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Dave Schulpius

David Schulpius

Post by David Schulpius » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Thanks for the great advice Jerry. I'll try to remember to "step away" but it's hard sometimes. I guess I'm like a little boy that doesn't want to come in from a summer's evening of play and take his bath. LOL.
Hey, I think I saw a video of that sad mishap happening. I think it's on one of your Build Off DVD's I have? The collar slipped off the torso and hit the driveway. I was sick to my stomach for the owner when I saw that. ;-(
Dave Schulpius
On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Jerry Chevalier jerry.chevalier@att.net [B9Builders] wrote:

Sorry to hear about your troubles Dave. I recall one Sunday morning many moons ago, parts of a b9 sliding off the torso and smashing on the driveway during a build off setup. In addition to those parts being destroyed, the torso was damaged and the neon in the glass that would later lees to a failure. All because I was tired and in a hurry. Your not a lone my friend. However sometimes you just need to step away

Misspelling courtesy of my iPhone 6 Plus
On Dec 12, 2015, at 10:07 AM, David Schulpius dschulpius@wi.rr.com [B9Builders] wrote:

As far as the wrist side to side mech; I was breaking the gears on the analog metal geared "Power HD 1501" servo I was using. It had the power to lift the load but it's not built to hold up to the stress of it's own power. My 3 pound wrist and claw section was just too much for this servo to lift vertically and hold up over time. I've come up with a way to mount a ServoCity gearbox in that little space (like the one with the big gear shown in the attached pic for lifting my wrist). This should easily stand up to this torture. It only adds 3 oz over my old design to the weight of the arm. With an analog HS-485HB or HS-645MG servo installed in the gearbox this should give me strong, smooth jitter free and quiet movement at this joint. I did try using a programmable "Ultra Torque" HS-7950TH here. It was plenty strong and with a Titanium gear set would have stood up to the pounding. However I had many problems with it in this application including jitter under load and it bouncing around in the deadband when the robot moved trying to stay centered. Adjusting it with the programing feature didn't help. Also, I couldn't get it to ever completely release once powered up. Sometimes analog is the only way I guess.
Cheers! Dave Schulpius

Dave Schulpius

c b

Post by c b » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:46 pm

well the six million dollar man needed a few adjustments in the beginning too

From: B9Builders@yahoogroups.com on behalf of David Schulpius dschulpius@wi.rr.com [B9Builders]
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2015 11:27 AM
To: Tobor001@aol.com [B9Builders]
Subject: Re: [B9Builders] Tragedy Strikes! B9 Robot Builder Rips Arm Wide Open!! (Viewer Discretion Advised)
    Thanks for the great advice Jerry. I'll try to remember to "step away" but it's hard sometimes. I guess I'm like a little boy that doesn't want to come in from a summer's evening of play and take his bath. LOL. 
Hey, I think I saw a video of that sad mishap happening. I think it's on one of your Build Off DVD's I have? The collar slipped off the torso and hit the driveway. I was sick to my stomach for the owner when I saw that. ;-(
Dave Schulpius 
On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Jerry Chevalier jerry.chevalier@att.net [B9Builders] wrote:
  Sorry to hear about your troubles Dave. I recall one Sunday morning many moons ago, parts of a b9 sliding off the torso and smashing on the driveway during a build off setup.  In addition to those parts being destroyed, the torso was damaged and the neon in the glass that would later lees to a failure.  All because I was tired and in a hurry.  Your not a lone my friend. However sometimes you just need to step away 

Misspelling courtesy of my iPhone 6 Plus

As far as the wrist side to side mech; I was breaking the gears on the analog metal geared "Power HD 1501" servo I was using. It had the power to lift the load but it's not built to hold up to the stress of it's own power. My 3 pound wrist and claw section was just too much for this servo to lift vertically and hold up over time. I've come up with a way to mount a ServoCity gearbox in that little space (like the one with the big gear shown in the attached pic for lifting my wrist). This should easily stand up to this torture. It only adds 3 oz over my old design to the weight of the arm. With an analog HS-485HB or HS-645MG servo installed in the gearbox this should give me strong, smooth jitter free and quiet movement at this joint. I did try using a programmable "Ultra Torque" HS-7950TH here. It was plenty strong and with a Titanium gear set would have stood up to the pounding. However I had many problems  with it in this application including jitter under load and it bouncing around in the deadband when the robot moved trying to stay centered. Adjusting it with the programing feature didn't help. Also, I couldn't get it to ever completely release once powered up. Sometimes analog is the only way I guess.  
Cheers! Dave Schulpius

[Attachment(s) from Jim Cruff included below] Reminds me of the day I ran over my torso. I was doing some Bondo work. At the end of the evening, I backed my truck into the garage and forgot my torso was on the garage floor. The sound of the cracking torso was horrendous. 
  [Attachment(s) from dschulpius@gmail.com [B9Builders] included below] hehehe. Sorry guys. Couldn't help the drama. 
Dave Schulpius

warpig2011

Post by warpig2011 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:00 pm

Dave,It's bad, but it could have been worse! You might want to save the ripped bellows and try your hand at silicone repair. :)
Can't wait to see your new claw and wrist designs!

Herb

Post by Herb » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Yes the bright side is you now have a damaged arm bellows you can use for testing without fear of damage. God bless you guys, if this happened to me I would be so embarrassed and so dis heartened I would have to give up on my project for months and would certainly never publish my giant Murphy. Especially backing over a torso, although I guess it's easier to admit and laugh about months or years later than when it just happened. 

Sent from my iPad
On Dec 12, 2015, at 2:00 PM, warpig@cyberpigstudio.com [B9Builders] wrote:

Dave,It's bad, but it could have been worse! You might want to save the ripped bellows and try your hand at silicone repair. :)
Can't wait to see your new claw and wrist designs!