starter trip

DSN_KLR650
Zachariah Mully

gas mileage

Post by Zachariah Mully » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:48 am

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 01:14, Bill wrote:
> --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "arctec" wrote: > > I have a 2003 KLR650, with 800 miles on it, and I get about 200 > > miles to a tank before I have to go to reserve. doesn't seem right. > > The engine is straight stock, so my question is how typical is this? > > > last Sunday I gassed up on the eastern side of the Sierras (just east > of Yosemite NP, US-395 at Cal-120) and 5 hours/230 miles later in > Lafayette it took 5.03 gals. Assuming my odometer is accurate, that's > about 46 mpg (and 46 mph, counting stops). The route was a mix of > higher elevation twisties, fast 2-lane and freeways and I had my > 3-Givi bags loaded with camping gear, etc. >
If I believe my ODO on my A12, then this weekend, with my HT panniers loaded up for camping, I averaged 53 mpg. This includes several 100mph (indicated) sprints, cruising most of the time at 65+mph, as well as the several hours of offroading with Miller. The tank of gas I offroaded on got me to 245 miles before hitting reserve. It's got a DJ kit in it (2nd clip from top), Uni air filter, stock airbox and exhaust. It pulls like a mutherf*cker all the way up to 100mph. On the otherhand, my A5 gets 42-45mpg regardless of how I ride it. It too has a DJ kit (2nd clip), TwinAir filter, modded airbox and Produro exhaust. Z DC A5X A12X

Paul Dent

gas mileage

Post by Paul Dent » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:03 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
> I wonder if its just the earlier KLRs that get great mileage?
I think that's possible. My '02 gets about 42 mpg in town (lots of stop and go and 'spirited' acceleration up and down hills), 45 riding agressively in twisties, and 50+ cruising at 75. Best tank so far was 260 miles and a 5.1 gallon fill. This is with stock jetting and pilot screw. The Monster (4.2 gal. tank, jetted and K&N'd) gets scarcely better than 30 mpg around town, so I'm very happy with the KLR's range. Paul A16

Guy B. Young II - COG Tech Ed

gas mileage

Post by Guy B. Young II - COG Tech Ed » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:14 am

I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread, but figured I'd throw in my .02. My '02 model managed a couple of 61 mpg segents romping around the hills of WV this past w/e. All was on pavement and ranged from several 80 mph blasts that lasted for some distance (5-10 miles in length), to some very tight stuff on narrow 'cowpaths' where the speed barely got above 50. Except for the farkles, the bike is bone stock with an almost gone IRC 5.10 on the rear. I'm happy. Guy A16 '95 Concours Richmond, VA -------Original Message------- From: Paul Dent
> --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, wrote: > I wonder if its just the earlier KLRs that get great mileage?
I think that's possible. My '02 gets about 42 mpg in town (lots of stop and go and 'spirited' acceleration up and down hills), 45 riding agressively in twisties, and 50+ cruising at 75. Best tank so far was 260 miles and a 5.1 gallon fill. This is with stock jetting and pilot screw.

mrmooseisloose

gas mileage

Post by mrmooseisloose » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:13 pm

Holy Crap!! 64-65 mpg?!?! I've heard about 55-60 before, in stock form, and yes, I think that with my mods and riding style, and lower gearing, that my 51 mpg is great, but 65 mpg?!?! You said you have a pipe and filter but stock jetting. I would have thought that with the extremly lean stock jetting, adding a pipe and filter without rejetting would burn up the motor. How hot does your bike run? Are you sure it is not rejetted?? MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special)
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, wrote: > I wonder if its just the earlier KLRs that get great mileage? My A7 with Twinair filter and Supertrapp IDS with 9 plates does considerably better than your A8, but then I ride a bit more calmly. I think that I'm running stock gearing(didn't count the teeth). I bought the bike wrecked with just shy of 15K miles, and made it streetable again. I checked the valve clearances and they seem to be within reasonable spec(have a wide exhaust at .012" on the left). The pilot screw has be run out another 1 or 1-1/2 turns, but no rejetting. > > Other guys are reporting low to mid 40s mileage, and Devon reported low 40s with Supertrapp and jet kit. On occasion I see mention of 60mpg, and a few in the 50s. > > On my last tank I did 65 miles solo running up to 65mph. I took my wife out on Saturday for another 160 miles, and 60 of that was 3rd gear on dirt roads. When I filled up I was expecting a big drop in mileage(350# 2-up)but still ended in excess of 60mpg. A previous weekend 246 mile solo ride yielded 64+mpg riding mostly 55-65mph. > > Your mileage with your mods and stated riding style are pretty good. > > Eric in Pa > A7 with Y2K body kit from Dual Star > > > > > From: "mrmooseisloose" > > Date: 2003/07/21 Mon AM 02:10:26 EDT > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Gas Mileage > > > > Ok.....time for me to brag. After all the work I did on my A8, with > > 10,000 miles on it, I got 48-49 mpg, riding like I'm at a race track > > going through the twisties and back mountain roads around my area, > > and I got 50-51 mpg riding like a sane human being. > > > > I weigh 220 lbs and would go on reserve after about 240-245 miles. > > Thats also with the stock 15-43 gearing. The farthest that I have > > gone is 278 miles on a tank (I was on reserve for about 30 miles) and > > I still could only jam 5 1/2 gallons in the tank at fill up. That > > means 300 miles to a tank full fellas! > > > > I just checked my valves and adjusted them because mpg was dropping > > quickly and I found them all out of spec, the worst one, left side > > intake, only had about .0015 in of slack left. After that, I took it > > for a test ride and found that my bike had a crapload more power, and > > reved quicker too. I figured that extra power would be good for > > about 2 more mpg and so I threw on my 14 tooth counter sprocket which > > Elden Carl said would be equal to adding 3 teeth to the rear > > sprocket. I've read an article from Elden saying that adding just 1 > > or 2 teeth to the rear sprocket would actually give you better mpg > > (about 1 or 2 miles) and so I figured that the loss of a few mpg, > > because I lowered the gearing more, and the gain of a few mpg because > > the bike was running better, should put me back to where I was with > > the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket, and the bike running a little > > weak. > > > > After 2 tanks of gas that I've checked, I am still getting 51 mpg, > > and that is riding the bike like an idiot most of the time. I like > > wheelies alot ( and boy does that smaller countershaft sprocket help > > out) and I drive into just about all turns like I'm at Sears Point > > trying to take the lead for 1st place in the last turn of the last > > lap. > > > > For the curious, I am doing this with a K&N filter, K&N jet > > kit,needle position 2, main jet 150, mixture screw out 2 1/8 turns, > > slide drilled, airbox "L" cutout, airbox screen removed, and a Laser > > Pro Duro race exhaust. > > > > > > MrMoose > > A8 (Barbie and Ken special) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "arctec" wrote: > > > I have a 2003 KLR650, with 800 miles on it, and I get about 200 > > miles to a > > > tank before I have to go to reserve. Now I'm not sure how big that > > reserve > > > tank is but with a 6.2 Gal tank, and the mileage I'm getting, > > something > > > doesn't seem right. The engine is straight stock, for modifications > > to the > > > carb, so my question is how typical is this? > > > > > > I run 98% on the street, and my driving varies between around town > > driving > > > to 10-15 minute jogs at 70mph to adjacent towns. > > > > > > Thanks in advance, > > > > > > Brian Sawyer > > > Lexington, KY > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > >

bookwood55

gas mileage

Post by bookwood55 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:04 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" wrote:
> --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "arctec" wrote: > > I have a 2003 KLR650, with 800 miles on it, and I get about 200 > > miles to a tank before I have to go to reserve. doesn't seem
right.
> > The engine is straight stock, so my question is how typical is
this? i get about 250-260 km til i switch to res. that is about 7.5l/100km i guess you have to do the math;-) anyway i have a open airfilterbox, k&n filter, a 150 main, a 42 pilot and a supertrapp racing series exhaust ride safe bookwood

hardyreels

gas mileage

Post by hardyreels » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:37 pm

I drive a 2006 with stock pipe and jets. I did change to a K&N air filter and went to a 16 T front sprocket. Still I average 46 / 50 mpg depending on speed. Has any one tried setting the carb up using an exhaust Dynamometer to measure the octane in your head pipe? I had this done to an old KZ 1100 and the highway mpg was so unbelievable that I wont quote it here. The Dyna read only 12% unburnt octane in my exhaust when the process was done. I had also added a Vetter Quick Sliver faring to improve aerodynamics. I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten really serious about going for max mpg with their KLR. I will also ask if anyone has found a faring that adds a bit more aerodynamic performance without being too bulky for a little off road use. I'm not looking to build a Goldwing here. Thanks

Charlie Y

gas mileage

Post by Charlie Y » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:28 pm

There were some posts last year from a guy who built his own fairing out of fiberglass. The pictures I saw looked pretty nice. As far as dynamometers go, i know nothing. That sounds too hi-tech. KLRs are not usually raced so That kind of thing just isn't done too much probably. Just looking at the sparkplug after a while is the commonest way to determine the correct mixture, I think. I get between 58 and 63 mpg with stock everrything except that i took the stock windshield right off. I rarely go out on the highway for very long, and I also bopped my face shield on it on the whoop-de-doos out back, once. I'm plenty satisfied with 60mpg +/- cuz my ~other~ vehicle only gets 22mpg 8-) charlie. ps sorry it took so long to answer .
----- Original Message ----- From: "hardyreels" To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:37 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Gas mileage >I drive a 2006 with stock pipe and jets. I did change to a K&N air > filter and went to a 16 T front sprocket. > > Still I average 46 / 50 mpg depending on speed. Has any one tried > setting the carb up using an exhaust Dynamometer to measure the octane > in your head pipe? > > I had this done to an old KZ 1100 and the highway mpg was so > unbelievable that I wont quote it here. The Dyna read only 12% unburnt > octane in my exhaust when the process was done. I had also added a > Vetter Quick Sliver faring to improve aerodynamics. I'm just wondering > if anyone has gotten really serious about going for max mpg with their > KLR. > > I will also ask if anyone has found a faring that adds a bit more > aerodynamic performance without being too bulky for a little off road > use. I'm not looking to build a Goldwing here. > > Thanks > > > ------------------------------------ > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >

Charlie Y

gas mileage

Post by Charlie Y » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:29 pm

Here it is.. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207358
----- Original Message ----- From: "hardyreels" To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:37 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Gas mileage >I drive a 2006 with stock pipe and jets. I did change to a K&N air > filter and went to a 16 T front sprocket. > > Still I average 46 / 50 mpg depending on speed. Has any one tried > setting the carb up using an exhaust Dynamometer to measure the octane > in your head pipe? > > I had this done to an old KZ 1100 and the highway mpg was so > unbelievable that I wont quote it here. The Dyna read only 12% unburnt > octane in my exhaust when the process was done. I had also added a > Vetter Quick Sliver faring to improve aerodynamics. I'm just wondering > if anyone has gotten really serious about going for max mpg with their > KLR. > > I will also ask if anyone has found a faring that adds a bit more > aerodynamic performance without being too bulky for a little off road > use. I'm not looking to build a Goldwing here. > > Thanks > > > ------------------------------------ > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >

Martin

gas mileage

Post by Martin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:37 pm

A change of subject to more correctly reflect the topic: Feeding off of Jeff's previous post.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Khoury wrote: > > In mixed riding on my '09, I usually have to hit reserve around 215-225 miles. My petcock has not been modified, and I have the $0.22 carb mod and muffler mods in place. I think you're about where you should be. Claims of 50-55mpg with the new KLR may be a bit optimistic. > Jeff, I am with you on those that post 'optimistic' mileage numbers. head scratch. What I do know: With a relative wind of 120-130mph, mine has been as low as ~32mpg, hitting reserve at 160/170 miles! (May of 08, Dallas, TX to South Dakota: 1000+ miles of head wind.) [Relative wind = forward speed plus typical Spring/(and now Fall) Dakota prairie breezes.] Needless to say, you really take a beating when the wind is in excess of 40+ and you are trying to go into the wind. It was so bad, I finally quit for 36 hours just to see if it would let up to less than 40mph. Many parts of the country never sees wind like this, but here in the central plains, it can be, well, painful! However, summer of 08' while riding the Great Divide Ride, John Sadowski and I both got (at times) 52+ (loaded like rented mules)with minimal wind. Admittedly, we we were riding like little old ladies and wanted the gas to go as far as it could--because in the Great Basin, you need too--never exceeding 50mph, and doing gentle accelerations and slow downs. And to add an interesting point to it all, we were both on a 13/43T combination. It returned to low 40's as soon as we hammered along at 6k Rpms. Amazing how much the right hand has to do with the left hand getting out the credit card. smile. List--Correct me if I am wrong--but I think the max range speed on this bike is around 3500rpm/45mph true/GPS. These are the numbers that have worked well for me. revmaaatin.

skypilot@cycles4sale.com

gas mileage

Post by skypilot@cycles4sale.com » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:41 am

on my 2008 I run out at about 225-235 with the stock tap (petcock). I have gotten anywhere from 45 to 55 mpg per tank which mostly depends on what I am doing. a week of easy going commute to work gets 50-55 and play time nets 45. The mpg didnt get to that point until I ad 2k miles on it so dont bother until you get at least that. Break in mpg was down as low as 35mpg. Does anybody have documentation with the full 8x10 color glossies of the petcock and $0.22 carb mods????? if not please send me what ever does exist and I will get the camera out while applying them to the 08 this winter. the Documentation for the Vista Cruise worked out ok so I might as well try it again. Speaking of documentation, the Vista Cruise without drilling method has been working very well so far with a few thousand mixed miles on it. http://www.ginsucity.com/klr650-throttle-lock
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Khoury wrote: > > In mixed riding on my '09, I usually have to hit reserve around 215-225 miles. My petcock has not been modified, and I have the $0.22 carb mod and muffler mods in place. I think you're about where you should be. Claims of 50-55mpg with the new KLR may be a bit optimistic. >