water pump

DSN_KLR650
Mike Peplinski

questioning the use of ear plugs

Post by Mike Peplinski » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:18 am

Yep, thats the truth. I bought my first set of custom fit ear plugs this year. I was concerned about not being able to hear the traffic. This is not a problem. If amything it allows me to pay more attention to the important stuff, like traffic and such. Do you really think you will be able to hear the car coming up behind you, the car blasting through a stop sign or the one cutting in front of you? That's just plain wishful thinking, like the "loud pipes save lives" threory!
>From: "theseventhfirst" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Questioning the use of ear plugs >Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:10:40 -0000 > >--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "ckahleer" wrote: > > > > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise > > while riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to > > hear what is going on around me. > > > >How long do you want to be able to hear them? > >Simply put, noise over 80 dB will cause permanent hearing loss. So if >you ride your bike enough on the highway, you won't be able to hear >when bike-riding, or ever again. Noise also creates fatigue, which >diminishes your response time. > >Earplugs reduce the sound pressure, but don't eliminate it, so you'll >still hear horns and other loud noises. > >A full-face helmet is generally a lot quieter (and safer) than an open >face with screen. > > > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
_________________________________________________________________ Mortgage refinance is Hot. *Terms. Get a 5.375%* fix rate. Check savings https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2bbb&disc=y&vers=925&s=4056&p=5117

Ryan Merrell

Post by Ryan Merrell » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:57 pm

I'm a Navy Pilot, and I can tell you that though whatever machine I am using may be loud, hearing what's going on with it is important--so is hearing conservation. In my experience, in my plane and on my bikes, ear plugs always help. When in the plane, I can hear my radios better. On the bike, at high speeds, the same is true. The ear plugs really help take out that white noise, so you hear what is important. Around town/at low speeds, I don't wear ear plugs. On the highway/road trips, they are a must--especially when I'm wearing a half helmet. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

E.L. Green

Post by E.L. Green » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:15 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "ckahleer" wrote:
> Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise while > riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear > what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching > tires, and the sound of my bike.
Believe me, you can still hear all that with foam-type earplugs. All the earplugs do is make them sound a bit muffled, which is a problem if someone is trying to talk to you (sounds like the adults in those Peanuts TV specials -- "mwuh wuh muh wuh wuh muh wuh wuh") but not dangerous. What you *won't* hear is ringing in your ears after 30 minutes of riding. That ringing means you have permanently lost part of your hearing. _E

jjonz

Post by jjonz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:40 am

I can't recall the study but it was summarized in Motorcycle Consumer News a few years back. The study found that ear plugs improved your hearing at speeds above 30 mph because of the masking effect of wind noise on other sounds. The ear plugs reduce the loudest sound frequencies of wind noise more than the sounds of sirens, horns, etc. So you actually hear those other sounds better above 30 mph with earplugs in. Not to mention the fact that you'll still be able to hear several years from now. Jeff Jones

blocloc

Post by blocloc » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:10 pm

As one who has lost a significant range of hearing I look back on the jet engines, pistol shooting, riding since l950, machine shop work and marvel at the excuses for absence of ear protection. How many excuses are there for being deaf or hearing impared? Best, Bill
----- Original Message ----- From: "jjonz" To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 6:08 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re:Questioning the use of ear plugs >I can't recall the study but it was summarized in Motorcycle Consumer News > a few years back. The study found that ear plugs improved your hearing at > speeds above 30 mph because of the masking effect of wind noise on other > sounds. The ear plugs reduce the loudest sound frequencies of wind > noise more than the sounds of sirens, horns, etc. So you actually hear > those other > sounds better above 30 mph with earplugs in. Not to mention the fact > that you'll still be able > to hear several years from now. > > Jeff Jones > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >

scottbtorell

Post by scottbtorell » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:29 pm

> > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise
while
> riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear > what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching > tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense of > hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient > helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any
sugestions
> are apprecated). > > Craig Kahler >
Aerostich Disposable Earplug Sample Kit Anyone try these out? Or the ones at Walmart ok?

scottbtorell

Post by scottbtorell » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:31 pm

> > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise
while
> riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear > what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching > tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense of > hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient > helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any
sugestions
> are apprecated). > > Craig Kahler >
Aerostich Disposable Earplug Sample Kit Anyone try these out? Or the ones at Walmart ok?

Mike Peplinski

Post by Mike Peplinski » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:57 pm

The problem with ear plugs is complicated. While there is no debating that plugs diminish your hearing not wearing them will diminish your hearing of all things, permanently. Even with tight fitting plugs you will hear the things you need to hear. Sirens,screaching tires and horns are not a problem. Even engine noise is pleasant to most of u s but wind noise and buffeting are the culprits. I have a constant ringing in one ear which I attribute to riding and operating noissy equipment without plugs for the last 4 years. I'm trying to salvage what is left by wearing ear plugs. If you don 't want to wear ear plugs, a helmet, protective gear, thats your choice.
>From: "scottbtorell" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Questioning the use of ear plugs >Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:30:51 -0000 > >--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "ckahleer" wrote: > > > > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise >while > > riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear > > what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching > > tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense of > > hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient > > helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any >sugestions > > are apprecated). > > > > Craig Kahler > > > > >Aerostich Disposable Earplug Sample Kit Anyone try these out? Or the >ones at Walmart ok? > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
_________________________________________________________________ Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581

E.L. Green

Post by E.L. Green » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:09 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "scottbtorell" wrote:
> Aerostich Disposable Earplug Sample Kit Anyone try these out? Or the > ones at Walmart ok?
The ones at Walmart work but are a bit short and thin for me. I like the green ones that I got from Home Depot a lot better, they're long so it's not easy for one to get "lost" in your ear, and they're a little bigger around and have a slightly higher noise reduction rating too. But earplugs are really a personal thingy, your ears are not the same as mine. As for the "sample kit", I put together one from my local motorcycle accessory shop, which has a big container of assorted foam earplugs on their counter. The green ones from Home Depot end up working as well as or better than any of those for me, but there's all sorts of foam earplugs out there that work well. BTW, I do suggest foam earplugs rather than the "permenant" ones, I tried some of the corrugated rubberish-looking earplugs and a) they irritated my ears, and b) they didn't work as well as the foam ones. If you want "permenant" ones, the ones made from an earmold are the only ones that will seal correctly without irritating your ears, and they're not cheap. BTW, you can re-use the foam earplugs for quite some time before they stop sealing so well at which time you toss them and use another pair. So don't think that shelling out for a "permanent" molded pair will save significant dough in the long run. -E

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:21 pm

I got a HUGE box of earplugs (200, I think) for about 30 bucks from a local Grainger outlet in Virginia. You can also order them online http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalValue=ear+plugs&L2=Disposable&operator=prodIndexRefinementSearch&L1=Ear+Plugs%2C>. They are Howard Leight "Max" NRR 33 and work very, very well. Just don't get them wet (or you'll have to use another pair). I usually get a week or two of daily use from each pair. More if I scrape the ear wax off. YMMV. Austin in Savannah 89 KLR