Re: Badge

MikeMarjot@aol.com

Re: [mg-tabc] badge

Post by MikeMarjot@aol.com » Fri May 05, 2000 12:07 am

Walter,

The badge is superb. Who had the brilliant idea of making it a picture of my
red TB? You forgot the aero screens though!

Can't wait to get mine.

Mike Marjot

KEN PORTER

Re: [mg-tabc] badge

Post by KEN PORTER » Fri May 05, 2000 6:09 am

Mike:
That's my red TC.
Ken TC 4147

MikeMarjot@aol.com wrote:
> Walter,
>
> The badge is superb. Who had the brilliant idea of making it a picture of my
> red TB? You forgot the aero screens though!
>
> Can't wait to get mine.
>
> Mike Marjot

Peter Pleitner

Badge

Post by Peter Pleitner » Fri May 05, 2000 7:57 am

Thank you Austin!!

Can't wait to get my couple of your beautiful badges. Even looks like my
hair. Thanks to you, our badges will be the envy of all the clubs.

Cheers, Peter K. Pleitner

Austin R. Baer

Post by Austin R. Baer » Tue Aug 15, 2000 8:03 pm

I am bending the unwritten "rule" about sending photos to the list at large because so many of you have been awaiting the availability of our badge. Some of you know that there have been any number of setbacks, due entirely to quality/pricing issues. I have finally received a sample, and was very pleased with it, although I'm going to try to lighten the cream/tan background color along with a couple of other details. To those of you that have entered your order with Jim Shade, it won't be too much longer now. To those of you that are new to this great group or for some reason have not followed our project: The badges have not yet been ordered from the vendor, but please contact Jim Shade IMMEDIATELY to add your name and the number of badges you want to order, but.... please observe the following request from Jim and me: Don't order extra badges for sale outside the group, and, please order your badges with the first "run". We plan to order a few extra, but they will be reserved for future members only, and for the few members who may be on vacation and would otherwise miss out. These badges are being manufactured overseas, the logistics are understandably difficult, and we can't possibly afford to order enough extras to satisfy very many latecomers. We wanted to avoid asking for your checks before we had the assurance we needed in the form of a proper sample, but I think that we're finally ready to roll. Please look for an email from Jim on ordering details and cost. I will be happy to answer any technical questions that are not covered below: Badge size: 3-5/8" across the flats. Material: Nickel-plated brass, about .080" thick (haven't miked it, but the heaviest I've ever seen). Colors: Five vitreous (fired) enamel colors, plus nickel details. Mounting: Two 8-32 nuts, 2" apart, vertically centered. You supply the studs or screws and the bracket. Price (including shipping): Wait for Jim's email (probably around $35; he needs to accurately determine packing and shipping costs).

Austin R. Baer

Post by Austin R. Baer » Sun Oct 08, 2000 2:50 pm

For those of you new to the group and who haven't ordered a badge, or anyone
who would like to see a photo of the badge before ordering, I'll be glad to
email a photo to you off-list. Please order from Jim Shade, though.

Austin

Morris Pavlinovich

badge

Post by Morris Pavlinovich » Wed Nov 01, 2000 8:18 pm

Thanks for the badge,
I believe mine awaits me in Perth Western Australia.

Morris
Casey Antarctica

edwin.hanstedt@debitel.net

Badge

Post by edwin.hanstedt@debitel.net » Mon Nov 13, 2000 11:08 am

Hi all,

I havn't seen a picture of our batch. Here is one with my second TC (the
chassis is number unknown :-)

Edwin Hanstedt
TC 9891

Austin R. Baer

Post by Austin R. Baer » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:39 am

Jim and the group:

The nuts are 8-32 UNC. The meaning is #8 diameter (wire gauge), 32 threads per inch of bolt length. The other standard is UNF ("NC" means National Coarse - used on the badge - "NF" is National Fine). These are the standard US thread types. Frequently, coarse threads are used in granular or soft materials (cast iron engine blocks and plastics are examples), while fine threads are used in toolmaking, high precision parts, etc., where the shallow pitch of the helix (the spiral of the finer, more closely spaced threads) makes for tighter clamping.

You can find a pretty good rundown (with illustrations) of generally popular US and metric fastener types at:

http://www.aboveboardelectronics.com/abe_prodmain.htm

Adding an extension to the badge may make it convenient for a few people, but most want the bracket behind the badge, where it doesn't detract from its appearance. The brackets are readily available, or easily made from a scrap of stainless as some of our older postings show, as discussed when I first designed the badge, and illustrated in some of older postings. A badge extension also renders the badge useless for mounting on a wood wall plaque or desk set (which is one of the reasons why nuts were specified instead of studs that would have to be sawn off for such uses), and makes the handling, blank size, etc., more difficult and costly to manufacture, as well as detracts from the outside octagon shape which is, perhaps, more important to the MG than other automobile trademarks. Studs also make packing and shipping much harder for both you (Jim) and the vendor.

If any of the newer members need the old bracket sketches, I'll be glad to send them along.

Best regards,

Austin

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]