30 light

Josh de Zwart

30 light

Post by Josh de Zwart » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:01 am

I was stopped several times by policemen who were curious or had mis-information in their heads. * I was stopped for reason that (he thought) it was unlawful to drive with my windscreen in the down position. Only when I stated that he was very incorrect and that I just would loooove to get this to court to prove I was right, he let me go.. * The next police stop was for not wearing a seatbelt. Even when I stated that vehicles originally not equipped with seatbelts when they left the factory do not require a seatbelt, he kept going on and wrote me a warning. * And a few times they just stopped me because (they admitted) they just want to see the car from close by. I even have a picture from the 2 highway policemen in their white coats posing in my TC. (they normally drive an ordinary highway police porche 911...) Ahh. to be a police officer and dream from a real sportscar..... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Clifford J Lockrow

Re: 30 light

Post by Clifford J Lockrow » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:55 am

Yep!!!!Was going through a small town in upstate NY. Guy in a VW bug crawling along slow . Went to third punched the gas and saw the 35 mph sign, the cop hiding in the bushes and the rap noise on the exhaust all at the same moment. I kept going and he followed me out of town and stopped me. He went up to my frind and asked for license and registration. I said OVER HERE. He didn't hear me and said it again. My friend just sat there. He started to unholster his side arm and I shouted "OVER HERE!" Then he looked and said "Oh" came over and we had a little chat. He didn't clock me as he got caught in traffic so I got the usual take it easy spiel and that was the end. I might have been doing all of 40 when I passed him on a pretty wide two lane road. group, has anyone ever actually been stoped for speeding in one of these
> cars? what an ego boost. if i did i think that i would just have to get my > picture taken with the officer. 1250 miles to florida and back, and the > only > vehicle i passed was a combine. cheers, charlie

Clive Sherriff

Post by Clive Sherriff » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:46 am

In the 1920s, when speeding in the UK was by two policemen, a stopwatch and a flag, Count Zabrowski, in one of his famous Brooklands Chitty Chityty Bang Bang cars was caught in deepest Somerset and charged with speeding at well over 100 mph. When evidence was given at court, the magistrate asked the police officer to confirm the speed given on the charge sheet, and on recieving confirmation exclaimed "Ridiculous - Impossible. Case dismissed" And that was the end of that. Ahhh -- Those were the days! Clive ==================================
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Redman" redcigar1@bigpond.com> To: MGTC1946@aol.com> Cc: "'MG-TABC'" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 6:44 AM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] 30 light > G'day Charlie, > > Yes, I'm proud to say... > Got pulled over doing over 95kph (so the man said)in a 70 zone. > He was pretty much a grumpy example of the law as he pulled out his > book. > I asked him if he'd be kind enough to write the estimated speed in BIG > letters so I could show my local MG clubmembers what the Tickford could > do with her skirts up. He laughed and told me to bugger-off, with a > warning! > Nice bloke after all. > > Jeff > TA 2828 > > -----Original Message----- > From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf > Of MGTC1946@aol.com > Sent: Saturday, 11 February 2006 12:30 PM > To: mgtc@comcast.net; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 light > > group, has anyone ever actually been stoped for speeding in one of these > > cars? what an ego boost. if i did i think that i would just have to get > my > picture taken with the officer. 1250 miles to florida and back, and the > only > vehicle i passed was a combine. cheers, charlie > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

murray arundell

Post by murray arundell » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:53 pm

I've got framed on my office wall a speeding ticket stating that I was doing 101kph (62mph) in a an 80kph (50mph) zone. Happened during the Queens Birthday Weekend MG Trip which I organized and was leading. I was pretty surprised to the see the cop as it was a static radar trap situated on what is known as the Big Dipper section of a nearby mountain tourist drive. I was in third gear and really "up it for the rent" as we say down here :-) The cop was one of those guys who'd had a charisma by-pass, read me the riot act then wrote me a ticket. He became particularly unpleasant when I suggested that perhaps the age of the car was worth a 20kph discount... The up side was at least I got shouted at the bar by the rest of the group for sacrificing myself so that they could speed on while I got the ticket... -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of MGTC1946@aol.com Sent: Saturday, 11 February 2006 11:30 AM To: mgtc@comcast.net; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 light group, has anyone ever actually been stoped for speeding in one of these cars? what an ego boost. if i did i think that i would just have to get my picture taken with the officer. 1250 miles to florida and back, and the only vehicle i passed was a combine. cheers, charlie [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links

cliffknight@tiscali.co.uk

30 light

Post by cliffknight@tiscali.co.uk » Sun May 10, 2009 7:53 am

Hi List I've been thinking of replacing the old brandy bottle stopper that occupies the hole in my TA dash with a proper 30 light. I see I can get the Lucas DF41 map lamp fairly easily but wondered how different the 30 light actually is. Question to list is - is it feasible to cut a hole in the top and fit a lens or is their more to the original? I think my brandy stopper satisfied the inspector for FIVA Historic Registration over here in Greece as it at least looks to be an accessory of the correct period ;-) Best wishes (79 deg Whitworth today and the old car ran like a dream over to the beach for lunch) Cliff, in Skopelos, Greece News, Celebrity Gossip, Videos, TV and more - http://www.tiscali.co.uk ____________________________________________________________

George Wolf British Auto Specialty

Post by George Wolf British Auto Specialty » Sun May 10, 2009 8:27 am

Cliff, The original 30 lights do not have the side window opening cut out that the map lamps have and the "King of the Road" Lucas medallion is replaced with a green lens. Otherwise, they are the same from the ones I have seen and had. You could put a map lamp in and work on fixing up a chrome cover to simulate a 30 light. Does your speedometer have the 30 light connections? If not the light won't work and you might want to stay with the map lamp. Me, I sort of like the idea of a brandy stopper! Cheers, George Wolf TC 3452
----- Original Message ----- From: cliffknight@tiscali.co.uk To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:47 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] 30 light Hi List I've been thinking of replacing the old brandy bottle stopper that occupies the hole in my TA dash with a proper 30 light. I see I can get the Lucas DF41 map lamp fairly easily but wondered how different the 30 light actually is. Question to list is - is it feasible to cut a hole in the top and fit a lens or is their more to the original? I think my brandy stopper satisfied the inspector for FIVA Historic Registration over here in Greece as it at least looks to be an accessory of the correct period ;-) Best wishes (79 deg Whitworth today and the old car ran like a dream over to the beach for lunch) Cliff, in Skopelos, Greece News, Celebrity Gossip, Videos, TV and more - http://www.tiscali.co.uk __________________________________________________________ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mark Stolzenburg

Post by Mark Stolzenburg » Sun May 10, 2009 8:54 am

Cliff, I know this is a ways away from where you live but Craig Seebrook from the Whitworth Shop in Ohio converts a standard Lucas reading map cover to a 30 MPH lamp cover. And as always, Craig's (and Fred's) workmanship is impeccable. Mark Stolzenburg St. Louis, Missouri, USA TC 7812 -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of George Wolf British Auto Specialty Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:28 AM To: cliffknight@tiscali.co.uk; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] 30 light Cliff, The original 30 lights do not have the side window opening cut out that the map lamps have and the "King of the Road" Lucas medallion is replaced with a green lens. Otherwise, they are the same from the ones I have seen and had. You could put a map lamp in and work on fixing up a chrome cover to simulate a 30 light. Does your speedometer have the 30 light connections? If not the light won't work and you might want to stay with the map lamp. Me, I sort of like the idea of a brandy stopper! Cheers, George Wolf TC 3452
----- Original Message ----- From: cliffknight@tiscali.co.uk To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:47 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] 30 light Hi List I've been thinking of replacing the old brandy bottle stopper that occupies the hole in my TA dash with a proper 30 light. I see I can get the Lucas DF41 map lamp fairly easily but wondered how different the 30 light actually is. Question to list is - is it feasible to cut a hole in the top and fit a lens or is their more to the original? I think my brandy stopper satisfied the inspector for FIVA Historic Registration over here in Greece as it at least looks to be an accessory of the correct period ;-) Best wishes (79 deg Whitworth today and the old car ran like a dream over to the beach for lunch) Cliff, in Skopelos, Greece News, Celebrity Gossip, Videos, TV and more - http://www.tiscali.co.uk http://www.tiscali.co.uk> __________________________________________________________ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Madhusudhanan Paroor

Post by Madhusudhanan Paroor » Sun May 10, 2009 10:31 am

Hi Cliff, Please do not remove those old brandy Bottle stoper, Because many of those retirees need it Wisdom Of A Retiree: I've often been asked, 'What do you old folks do now that you're retired?' Well..I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background, and one of the things I enjoy most is turning beer, wine, Scotch, and margaritas into urine. And I'm pretty damn good at it, too!! [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Paul Huck

Post by Paul Huck » Sun May 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Since most of us drive over 30, how about an "over 80 lamp'? LOL
----- Original Message ----- From: cliffknight@tiscali.co.uk To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:47 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] 30 light Hi List I've been thinking of replacing the old brandy bottle stopper that occupies the hole in my TA dash with a proper 30 light. I see I can get the Lucas DF41 map lamp fairly easily but wondered how different the 30 light actually is. Question to list is - is it feasible to cut a hole in the top and fit a lens or is their more to the original? I think my brandy stopper satisfied the inspector for FIVA Historic Registration over here in Greece as it at least looks to be an accessory of the correct period ;-) Best wishes (79 deg Whitworth today and the old car ran like a dream over to the beach for lunch) Cliff, in Skopelos, Greece News, Celebrity Gossip, Videos, TV and more - http://www.tiscali.co.uk __________________________________________________________ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Karl Vacek

Post by Karl Vacek » Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

It's a cinch the bulb would never burn out !! Karl TC 6370 Since most of us drive over 30, how about an "over 80 lamp'? LOL . [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]