Brake Drums

js4955

Re: brake drums

Post by js4955 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Demand has exceeded supply! I think that I have eight drums. I will put everyone's name in the hat and have my granddaughter pull the winners. Jim
----- Original Message ----- From: js4955 To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:29 PM Subject: [mg-tabc] brake drums Its spring cleaning time in the garage and I find I have a number of original style TC brake drums in reasonably good condition. Free to anyone willing to pay shipping from northeast Pa. Jim [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.62/2168 - Release Date: 06/10/09 18:30:00 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

js4955

brake drums

Post by js4955 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 am

Just so everyone understands what we are talking about. I have six drums which I have picked up over the years in an attempt to improve the braking on my TC. My original set had been turned so many times that they could not be made to work. Several of these have also been turned, a couple have not and may be out of round. I make no guarantees! My final solution was a set of Bob's great alloy drums which solved the problem and look great. Jim [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

js4955

brake drums

Post by js4955 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:14 pm

My granddaughter pulled two names, Ben Cordsen (4) and Dick Little (2). Thanks to all who showed interest. Would the winners please contact me off the list. Jim [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

John Bushnell

brake drums

Post by John Bushnell » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:37 pm

My EXU 7646 has the original green color, and has green brake drums, was an original California car. Can't say if the green brake drums were oigianal. John [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Barry Cook

brake drums

Post by Barry Cook » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi All, Does anybody know what the original stock inside diameter of the TC brake drum is? And what is the maximum machined diameter allowed until the drum is no longer considered safe. Many Thanks, Barry [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Clifford Knight

Post by Clifford Knight » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:20 am

Barry, Re: brake drums No data was published for TC as far as I know but the first proper Nuffield Manual for the Series Y (same size brake drum) gives 9 in +.005 in - 0.000 in. The drums do get skimmed beyond that value by necessity and the main effect is a reduction in the available shoe adjustment + a little more bedding in required. Re: packing cylinders for storage If using Silicone fluid then do as Ian says. If using DOT3 or 4 then use a smear of the brake grease that should be supplied with the seals for packing in the dust bonnet. If it doesn't come with the seals then buy a pot of Castrol Brake Grease on ebay UK. Best wishes Cliff ( back on the island of Skopelos at last!!!)
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Barry Cook barryc8950@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > Hi All, > > Does anybody know what the original stock inside diameter of the TC brake > drum > is? And what is the maximum machined diameter allowed until the drum is no > longer considered safe. Many Thanks, Barry > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

js4955

Post by js4955 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:17 am

The "Blower" manual contains this information. Unfortunately my copy is in Pa. and I am in Arizona. However, my experience leads me to believe that the original brake drums do not take kindly to much turning. It just makes them more likely to warp the next time they get hot. Best solution; Bob's excellent alloy drums and they look great as well. Jim
----- Original Message ----- From: "Clifford Knight" clifford.f.knight@gmail.com> To: "MG-TABC" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:20 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] brake drums > Barry, > Re: brake drums > No data was published for TC as far as I know but the first proper > Nuffield > Manual for the Series Y (same size brake drum) gives 9 in +.005 in - 0.000 > in. The drums do get skimmed beyond that value by necessity and the main > effect is a reduction in the available shoe adjustment + a little more > bedding in required. > > Re: packing cylinders for storage > If using Silicone fluid then do as Ian says. If using DOT3 or 4 then use a > smear of the brake grease that should be supplied with the seals for > packing > in the dust bonnet. If it doesn't come with the seals then buy a pot of > Castrol Brake Grease on ebay UK. > Best wishes > Cliff ( back on the island of Skopelos at last!!!) > > > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Barry Cook barryc8950@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> >> >> Hi All, >> >> Does anybody know what the original stock inside diameter of the TC brake >> drum >> is? And what is the maximum machined diameter allowed until the drum is >> no >> longer considered safe. Many Thanks, Barry >> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >> >> >> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > ----- > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 10.0.1204 / Virus Database: 1498/3520 - Release Date: 03/21/11 >

Clifford Knight

Post by Clifford Knight » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 am

Blower only gives the diameter (9in) with no tolerance for TC or any of the other MGs with 9in brakes. According to Blower the 12in drums used on the NA have a recommended lining thickness range of + 0.33 max 0.30 min. ie., 0.030 allowance for skimming. (That 12in brake drum was Alfins with aluminium outer and a carbon steel lining). I wonder if Bob has a view on how much can safely be skimmed on his modern repro 9in Alfins? Also I wonder why MG gave a 0.030in allowance on the Alfin type but only 0.005in the cast steel Y type. Cliff (Skopelos, Greece - currently skimmed to 0.007in - Alfins next time?)
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:17 PM, js4955 js4955@verizon.net> wrote: > The "Blower" manual contains this information. Unfortunately my copy is in > Pa. and I am in Arizona. However, my experience leads me to believe that > the original brake drums do not take kindly to much turning. It just makes > them more likely to warp the next time they get hot. Best solution; Bob's > excellent alloy drums and they look great as well. > > Jim > > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Clifford Knight" clifford.f.knight@gmail.com> > To: "MG-TABC" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:20 AM > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] brake drums > > > Barry, >> Re: brake drums >> No data was published for TC as far as I know but the first proper >> Nuffield >> Manual for the Series Y (same size brake drum) gives 9 in +.005 in - 0.000 >> in. The drums do get skimmed beyond that value by necessity and the main >> effect is a reduction in the available shoe adjustment + a little more >> bedding in required. >> >> Re: packing cylinders for storage >> If using Silicone fluid then do as Ian says. If using DOT3 or 4 then use a >> smear of the brake grease that should be supplied with the seals for >> packing >> in the dust bonnet. If it doesn't come with the seals then buy a pot of >> Castrol Brake Grease on ebay UK. >> Best wishes >> Cliff ( back on the island of Skopelos at last!!!) >> >> >> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Barry Cook barryc8950@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >> >>> >>> Hi All, >>> >>> Does anybody know what the original stock inside diameter of the TC brake >>> drum >>> is? And what is the maximum machined diameter allowed until the drum is >>> no >>> longer considered safe. Many Thanks, Barry >>> >>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------ >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> >> >> >> ----- >> No virus found in this message. >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com >> Version: 10.0.1204 / Virus Database: 1498/3520 - Release Date: 03/21/11 >> >> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Steve Nau

Brake Drums

Post by Steve Nau » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:10 am

In thread awhile back someone posted the maximum brake drum diameter.  I saved it but can't find it now.  Please tell me again what it is. THanks   Steve Nau naustevenn@gmail.com (417) 839-3982

claude lardans

Re: Brake Drums

Post by claude lardans » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:17 am

Hello Steve,

I think that this is the message from Bob Grunau that you want.

Best Regards,

Claude Lardans -TC6637 - France

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Grunau message :

Ed, I think I would use 9.060 as max inside diameter, that takes 0.030 off the wall thickness. Don t know how much more can be taken off, if even that much, but the old pressed steel drums were prone to belling out and the thinner the drum braking area, the worse it gets. And don t forget to machine a good radius where the brake surface meets the face of the drum. Now 0.030 thicker shoes are required to match the drum ID, or spend a looonnng time waiting for the linings to bed in and contact fully.

Of course, new alfin drums are exactly 9.00 ID and solve any belling and thicker shoe problems. In stock for TA/TC and TD/TF.

Bob Grunau

150 Pinewood Trail,

Mississauga, Ontario

Canada, L5G-2L1

905-274-4136

----- Original Message -----

[b]From:[/b] naustevenn@gmail.com [mg-tabc] [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, November 14, 2014 6:10 PM [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Brake Drums   In thread awhile back someone posted the maximum brake drum diameter.  I saved it but can't find it now.  Please tell me again what it is. THanks   Steve Nau naustevenn@gmail.com (417) 839-3982 [img]http://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png[/img] Ce courrier lectronique ne contient aucun virus ou logiciel malveillant parce que la protection Antivirus avast! est active.