Front wheel bearings

Bob Grunau

Re: Front Wheel Bearings

Post by Bob Grunau » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:26 am

For 5/8 BSF original nuts And stub axles, I say 75 to 85 ft-lbs torque. Variation to allow you to line up split pin.

Bob, CANADA

[b]From:[/b] phil smith [mailto:mgpsmith@att.net] [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:16 PM [b]To:[/b] BOB GRUNAU; Clifford J. Lockrow; bdavispics@yahoo.com; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Re: Front Wheel Bearings

How tight is tight for that nut (ball bearings, not tapered rollers, on my car)?

Blower doesn't give an  answer, neither does the TC handbook, just to tighten it up and cotter it..

And, what's the group wisdom on periodically prophylactically having stub axles and pitman arms crack-tested?  

Thanks.

Phil

[b]From:[/b] BOB GRUNAU grunau.garage@sympatico.ca> [b]To:[/b] Clifford J. Lockrow JayLock@localnet.com>; bdavispics@yahoo.com; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:06 PM [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] Re: Front Wheel Bearings

Jay

20 mm bore shims are not easy to find here in Canada, Maybe USA?  Strange North America has gone metric.

I buy 3/4" bore shims and have made holder for my lathe to bore them to 0.790" ( 20 MM ) . When you come for a visit,

we can arrange some  :-)

Bob, Canada

Bob... Where couLd you find these shims??? WOULD A BEARING SUPPLY HOUSE HAVE THEM? & WOULD YOU REPEAT THE HOLE SIZE AGAIN I SEEM TO HAVE TRASHED IT.  i DID T5HIS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGTO BUT MADE MY OWN SHIMS AND NOW WANT TO CHECK IT.....T HANX   J

----- Original Message -----

Hi Gene,

"Properly shimmed " means adding various thickness of shims to lengthen the bearing spacer to allow the hub to just spin easily with no slop and a tight stub axle nut. Usually shimming is only required if changing to superior tapered roller bearings.

I should point out that if using tapered rollers bearings ( which I recommend and use ) the hub must be rotated as you tighten the stub axle nut. This allows the tapered rollers to "seat " properly. When done, the hub should just spin freely with no free play.

Also, the TC shims required are 20 mm bore ( 0.790" ) , not easily found. MGB shims are  3/4" ( 0.750" ) so need to be opened up on the ID to suit the TC stub axle outer end.

Bob, Canada

Norman Verona

Front wheel bearings

Post by Norman Verona » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:18 am

All,

Can someone refresh my memory on which way the front wheel bearings should be installed. From memory I think the thrust sides (side with the writing on) should both face outward. So the inner bearing has the writing facing the back plate and the outer bearing is facing outward so the writing is towards the stub axle nut,

Hope that makes sense.

[b][u]Norman Verona aka "Email Norman"[/u][/b]

11 Cherry close, Royston, S71 4LZ

Mob: 0741 9905 741

Web: www.frenchblat.com

Roger Furneaux

Re: Front wheel bearings

Post by Roger Furneaux » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:38 am

hi Norm - I assume you are talking about taper-roller bearings, in which case you are correct! The installation procedure is explained in the booklet I supply with taper bearings, along with the shims you need. Let me know if you want a copy. oc[b]T[/b]agonally Roger
On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 3:48 PM norman verona norman@frenchblat.com [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] All,[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

Can someone refresh my memory on which way the front wheel bearings should be installed. From memory I think the thrust sides (side with the writing on) should both face outward. So the inner bearing has the writing facing the back plate and the outer bearing is facing outward so the writing is towards the stub axle nut,[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

Hope that makes sense.[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]

[b][u]Norman Verona aka "Email Norman"[/u][u][/u][/b]

11 Cherry close, Royston, S71 4LZ[u][/u][u][/u]

Mob: 0741 9905 741[u][/u][u][/u]

Web: www.frenchblat.com[u][/u][u][/u]

[u][/u] [u][/u]