Front wheel bearings

peter kerrison

Fw: [mg-tabc] Front Wheel Bearings

Post by peter kerrison » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 am

Problem solved!   Fortunately, a long time TC owner lives close to me and showed me the correct way to tighten the spinner nuts - jack up the wheel and beat the hell out of the spinner!  Seems I was just pussy footing around.  Nearly all the play has now gone & there's a reasonable chance that the wheels will stay on.  Thanks, Richard.   Thanks also for all the replies & help.   Peter.  
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] peter.kerrison@btinternet.com [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, June 06, 2013 12:06 PM [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Front Wheel Bearings   TC 8249 is now back on the road!   Although no longer compulsory I took it for an MOT (UK road worthiness test) which it passed but with a few recommendations, particularly to reduce the amount of front wheel "play".  I guess that just means new bearings.  I note that there's a seal behind them which I'd intend to replace as well.  Any advice? Alternatively, if available,should I use sealed bearings?   Peter Andover

Peter Roberts

Re: Front Wheel Bearings

Post by Peter Roberts » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:05 am

[b]CORRECTION[/b]! My statement This requires that the open ends of the outer races both face the axel nut. is[b][i] incorrect[/i][/b].   The open ends of the outer races are opposed with the race of the inner bearing facing the brake backing plate and the race of the outer bearing facing the axle nut.   Sorry about that,   _Peter

Dirk Dondorp

Post by Dirk Dondorp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:08 am

Clear as mud!Dirk Am 07.06.2013 um 18:05 schrieb "Peter Roberts" mgtc@comcast.net>:
  [b]CORRECTION[/b]! My statement This requires that the open ends of the outer races both face the axel nut. is[b][i] incorrect[/i][/b].   The open ends of the outer races are opposed with the race of the inner bearing facing the brake backing plate and the race of the outer bearing facing the axle nut.   Sorry about that,   _Peter

eworpe

Post by eworpe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:10 am

Hi Peter, I have to admit that I've not come across "the correct procedure"; however, I do feel concerned at the "beat the hell out of the spinner" advice, especially when the wheel is jacked up. As I think Steve has pointed out, there's a risk of spreading the taper section of the wheel's hub and also submitting the wheel bearing assembly to shock loading. By all means tighten the spinner with the wheel jacked up, but the final tightening should I suspect be with the wheel on the ground. Regards, Eric. ________________________________________ From: peter kerrison [peter.kerrison@btinternet.com] Problem solved! Fortunately, a long time TC owner lives close to me and showed me the correct way to tighten the spinner nuts - jack up the wheel and beat the hell out of the spinner! Seems I was just pussy footing around. Nearly all the play has now gone & there's a reasonable chance that the wheels will stay on. Thanks, Richard.
----- Original Message ----- From: peter kerrison TC 8249 is now back on the road! Although no longer compulsory I took it for an MOT (UK road worthiness test) which it passed but with a few recommendations, particularly to reduce the amount of front wheel "play". I guess that just means new bearings. I note that there's a seal behind them which I'd intend to replace as well. Any advice? Alternatively, if available,should I use sealed bearings?

Karl Vacek

Post by Karl Vacek » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Further to Eric’s observation, the Rudge Whitworth Locking Principle (I love than name) demonstrates that  the spinner will naturally be tightened by the forward motion of the vehicle.  That applies as long as the hubs and knock-offs are on the proper sides of the car.  They should have been tight after driving even if you had only rather gently tightened them before driving.

If you “beat the Hell out of” them and only “nearly all the play has now gone”, then there’s something wrong with the hubs (either the hubs on the car or the centers of the wheels), the spinners, or the wheel bearings.

Karl Vacek

Riverside, Illinois  USA

TC 6370

[b]From:[/b] E.Worpe@surrey.ac.uk [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] Front Wheel Bearings

Hi Peter, I have to admit that I've not come across "the correct procedure"; however, I do feel concerned at the "beat the hell out of the spinner" advice, especially when the wheel is jacked up. As I think Steve has pointed out, there's a risk of spreading the taper section of the wheel's hub and also submitting the wheel bearing assembly to shock loading. By all means tighten the spinner with the wheel jacked up, but the final tightening should I suspect be with the wheel on the ground. Regards, Eric.

Kern Matlock

Post by Kern Matlock » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:36 pm