Front wheel bearings

tonygoodall

Front wheel bearings

Post by tonygoodall » Mon May 21, 2001 2:57 pm

Hi Guys I have an 1/8th of an inch or so movement at 12 o clock/6 o clock on the offside front wheel, not kingpins, so assumed wheel bearings needed replacing. Did the job, bearings seemed a good fit on the spindle....no difference, still the same movement, it seems the bearings were ok. (traditional ball bearings) Then read Peter Pleitners account of new spindles, on the web site, and noted his reference to "not daring to apply 150 lbs to ball bearings." What is the torque that should be applied to the castellated nut and what if the hole for the split pin doesn't line up with a gap, plus, will increased torque make any difference to this wheel movement? I had assumed that although the bearings seemed a snug fit, there must be some wear on the spindle and was thinking of resorting to Loctite bearing mount but I'm not too keen on this as a solution. Observations will be gratefully received. Tony TC9825

JTPAKI@aol.com

Re: Front wheel bearings

Post by JTPAKI@aol.com » Mon May 21, 2001 5:10 pm

Tony, The torque of 150 lbs is not applied to the race to the roller (balls), but to the base of bearing to the bearing distance tube. Shims along with the center distance tube set the end play. Joe Potter In a message dated 5/21/2001 3:01:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tonygoodall@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
Hi Guys I have an 1/8th of an inch or so movement at 12 o clock/6 o clock on the offside front wheel, not kingpins, so assumed wheel bearings needed replacing. Did the job, bearings seemed a good fit on the spindle....no difference, still the same movement, it seems the bearings were ok. (traditional ball bearings) Then read Peter Pleitners account of new spindles, on the web site, and noted his reference to "not daring to apply 150 lbs to ball bearings." What is the torque that should be applied to the castellated nut and what if the hole for the split pin doesn't line up with a gap, plus, will increased torque make any difference to this wheel movement? I had assumed that although the bearings seemed a snug fit, there must be some wear on the spindle and was thinking of resorting to Loctite bearing mount but I'm not too keen on this as a solution. Observations will be gratefully received. Tony TC9825

Robert Johnson

Post by Robert Johnson » Mon May 21, 2001 5:39 pm

Tony: When I worked as a mechanic on cars of the immediate post war era, the following procedure was always used on ball-bearing equipped cars. Unlike tapered-roller bearings, you don't really "torque" them down as part of the adjustment procedure. If you look in Factory Shop Manuals for other British cars from that period which used ball bearings on the hubs (such as the Jaguar XK120 and Morris Minor), all direct you to tighten the castellated nut down snug enough to ensure that the bearings are seated all the way home. If it was necessary for me to estimate a torque number, in my experience I'd say no more than about 10 ft-lbs is quite adequate. You then back off the nut AT LEAST ONE FULL FLAT OF ROTATION regardless of where the gaps are in relation to the hole in the stub axle.. THEN KEEP LOOSENING A BIT MORE UNTIL THE NEXT GAP LINES UP. Put the split pin in, bend it over and your done. The end float will usually come out to be about .005" or thereabouts. Bob Johnson

Frank O_ The Mountain

Post by Frank O_ The Mountain » Mon May 21, 2001 6:23 pm

In a message dated 5/21/01 3:01:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tonygoodall@blueyonder.co.uk writes: >>
Then you take a little off the nut by working it down on a flat surface (plate glass) and emory cloth....you are tightening against the spacer (is it in there between the two bearings?), so that should not make a difference in your movement. Needs to be very tight, torque, I'd say 60 foot pounds would do it....most likely your movement is in the wheel splines and spinner...wear....have someone else look while you fiddle the tire back and forth. I'd be delighted with only 1/8" movement!~!! Terry