Re: Rear hub bearings

Robert F. Butson.

Re: Rear Hub Bearings

Post by Robert F. Butson. » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:39 am

Roger Ferneaux, roger.46tc@virgin.net , sells these and has much info...Bob.

Ron Benson

Rear hub bearings

Post by Ron Benson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 am

Hi all,After having replaced my rear hub bearing with the double seal type and shimmed it up to clamp the outer race, I still find there is play at the wheel. This is definitely in the bearing itself. Is this to allow some expansion after bearing heats up in use? I know some high speed bearings are made with a larger tolerance for this reason, but would the T Type rear hub be classed as high speed? Should we really be using a different type of bearing? Any thoughts gents.  Regards,Ron Benson TB

Roger Furneaux

Re: Rear hub bearings

Post by Roger Furneaux » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:36 am

hi Ron - are they 6208 (9 balls) or M208 (12 or 13)? Of course, if they have shields, you can't see them! Whatever sort, they have to have some movement: we once tried some expensive close tolerance bearings and they lasted about 50 miles... The only other type you can use is the 4208 with double row of balls, but they are 23mm wide instead of 18, so you have to leave out the tab washer and use a grub screw through the nut into the slot: the racers use these, and I have one on TC0978 (the other is an M208, the idea being to see which one gives up first). Of course, if you use my taper-fit half-shafts, which are much stiffer than standard splined ones, the bearings will last much longer anyway!
ocTagonally
Roger
On 27 June 2014 19:20, 'Ron Benson' ronb9131@virginmedia.com [mg-tabc] wrote:

Hi all,After having replaced my rear hub bearing with the double seal type and shimmed it up to clamp the outer race, I still find there is play at the wheel. This is definitely in the bearing itself. Is this to allow some expansion after bearing heats up in use? I know some high speed bearings are made with a larger tolerance for this reason, but would the T Type rear hub be classed as high speed? Should we really be using a different type of bearing? Any thoughts gents. Regards,Ron Benson TB