Windshield Washers

FDShade@aol.com

Fwd: [mg-tabc] Windshield Washers

Post by FDShade@aol.com » Thu May 12, 2005 7:19 am

In a message dated 5/11/2005 11:57:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, fnitz@pacbell.net writes: Coca-Cola will also do it, but I have never tried. My Greyhound bus-driver cousin told me to rub tobacco on the windshield. Of course he died in a traffic accident. Jim Shade, West Covina CA [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Peter Roberts

Re: Windshield Washers

Post by Peter Roberts » Thu May 12, 2005 7:43 am

And then there is the newspaper solution. Rub newspaper on your windshield to clean it. (First remove the Editorial section to avoid contamination.) About the only thing a newspaper is good for, other than lighting fires. _Peter
----- Original Message ----- From: FDShade@aol.com> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 10:18 AM Subject: Fwd: [mg-tabc] Windshield Washers > In a message dated 5/11/2005 11:57:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, > fnitz@pacbell.net writes: > > Coca-Cola will also do it, but I have never tried. > > My Greyhound bus-driver cousin told me to rub tobacco on the windshield. > Of > course he died in a traffic accident. > > Jim Shade, West Covina CA > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >

Dave A

Post by Dave A » Thu May 12, 2005 7:43 am

Hi Group! I 3rd the endorsement for RAIN-EX!!!!! Use it in my Motorcycle visor back when I rode rain or shine..... As for the "drawback" of needing the air to push off the water.... I only need to see well while moving, not sitting still. Cheers, Dave TC 6551 -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Charles Hill Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:32 PM Cc: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Windshield Washers I second the endorsement for RAIN-EX. Charles Hill SANDY SANDERS wrote:
>We use a product called RAIN-EX. I find it fantastic. >Sandy Sanders >Hudson Florida > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Murray Arundellarundell@ghs.com.au> > To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.commg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:13 PM > Subject: [mg-tabc] Windshield Washers > > > Group, > > Have just had the pleasure of a long drive in the rain. Not something > one has to contend with much in this part of the world fortunately. My > wipers are pretty hopless. Now I accept that at best they will be > pretty useless in heavey rain due to their design. Hence my > question........ Have anyone out there managed to modify their wipers to > improve performance. I should add that mine are in top condition with a > NOS motor recently fitted. All fittings and blades are in top shape. > > Cheers - Murray Arundell > Soaking in Aus..... (It would appear our drought is about to be > broken.....) > > -----Original Message----- > From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.commg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
> Of 1939mgtb > Sent: Thursday, 12 May 2005 11:04 am > To: Paroor; Peter Roberts > Cc: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.commg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Re: Brakes > > > Hoses sometimes deteriorate internally and block fluid. > Best, > Ray > "Morology is our profession, > our ONLY profession!" > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Peter Roberts" mgtc@comcast.netmgtc@comcast.net>> > To: "Paroor" Paroor@t-online.deParoor@t-online.de>> > Cc: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.commg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>> > Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 4:35 PM > Subject: [mg-tabc] Re: Brakes > > > > Madhu, > > > > The rear brake hose is two years old. There is no nick or evident > > restriction to the pipes. I did my rear bleed first at the right rear > > > and got no fluid at the bleeder. Same as I moved around the car. The > > > only difference was that there was no bubbling in the bleeder at the > > rear, but some very slight bubbling at the front. > > > > As I have mentioned, I rebuilt the MC two days ago. Filled the > > reservoir full to the top and checked it each time I bled a cylinder. > > > There was no production of fluid upon bleeding. Now, I unscrewed the > > banjo at the MC and worked the pedal. Lots of fluid! Next, I went to > > > the pipe fitting at the base of the rear hose and unscrewed it. Lot > > of fluid! Next, I removed the pipe at the right rear. No fluid! Either > > > the hose is kinked, or the line is > > blocked. > > > > Tomorrow I will remove the hose and check it. > > > > > > _Peter > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Paroor" Paroor@t-online.deParoor@t-online.de>> > > To: "Peter Roberts" mgtc@comcast.netmgtc@comcast.net>> > > Cc: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.commg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>> > > Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 5:18 PM > > Subject: AW: Brakes > > > > > >> Hi Peter, > >> Is the rubber pipe mounted on the differential new ? Do you > >> mean to say that the metal pipe got a knick some where? But when you > >> bleed the wheels, normally you start the longest connection. In the > >> case of TC it is the rear right wheel. If you fill the reservoir and > >> open the wheel cylinder > >> after pumping the brake pedal, the fluid had to come out. If this is > not > >> the > >> case then there is a blockage in the tube. One had to clear the > >> blocking. > >> Only if this work you can bleed the left rear wheel. Then the front > left > >> and > >> finally the front right wheel. > >> Any way let us hear the details. > >> Best regards > >> Madhu > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > >
Yahoo! Groups Links

Peter Ross

Post by Peter Ross » Thu May 12, 2005 7:34 pm

Hi Group, Yes, I swear by Rain-X also. You can drive the TC in pretty heavy rain without using the wipers at all. In fact they make a windshield washer fluid with it in and we use it in our modern cars. The thread heading was "Windshield Washers". Back in the old days when the TC was our only car and we had to use it in those awful murky and muddy British winter road conditions, the fitting of after-market windscreen washers was almost a must. As broke students our first "after-market" version was a water filled dishwasher liquid bottle which you applied by leaning out and squirting it at the windscreen. If the passenger wanted to see where they were going, they had to do thier own! Cheers, Peter Ross TC 8892 Bolton, Massachusetts

Jeff Redman

Post by Jeff Redman » Fri May 13, 2005 10:14 pm

An apple cut in halves works too... plus you can eat when you've finished! Reddo -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of D&J Edgar Sent: Thursday, 12 May 2005 3:39 PM To: TABC Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Windshield Washers This Rain-X thread was run a couple years back when Badger was active here. He claimed just rubbing a raw potato cut in half over the windscreen worked just as well. I've never tried it though. David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California Yahoo! Groups Links

Jeff Redman

Post by Jeff Redman » Fri May 13, 2005 10:20 pm

G'day Ian, Just how fast is this BGT in reverse gear? Reddo -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ian thomson Sent: Thursday, 12 May 2005 8:08 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Windshield Washers I would agree that rainex works when moving and on a front screen but it can be less than useful on steeply raked rear screen like the BGT has. Here the beads don't run off properly and dry on the glass leaving distracting dirty circles in the dry. Also, as it is, I believe, silicon based, it can cause problems when repainting the bodywork (should it need it). Ian Thomson. -------
> > The other problem with Rain-X is that it relies on > air to push the water > off > > the windscreen. This works great when you have a > steeply angled windscreen > > like most modern cars, but on a verticle one it > doesn't work nearly as > well. > > I suppose Rain-X combined with a wiper, even a > T-series wiper, would be > > pretty good. :) > > > > - Steve S > > - TC8975, LA, CA > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Chip Old" > > To: "MG-TABC" > > Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:30 PM > > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Windshield Washers > > > > > > > On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:17 -0400, SANDY SANDERS > wrote: > > > > > > > We use a product called RAIN-EX. I find it > fantastic. > > > > > > Some people (including me) have a problem with > Rain-X at night. It works > > > by causing the rain to bead on the glass and > roll off or be swept off by > > > airflow. That's fine during the day, but at > night the thousands of tiny > > > beads refract light from oncoming cars into a > blinding glare. Many > > > people's eyes don't seem to be affected, but > it's something to beware > of. > > > > > > -- > > > Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR > #2271 > > > Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO > CT3479E > > > fold@bcpl.net > > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -Rick Waters > > > > > > --------------------------------- > > Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > mg-tabc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > >
___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - want a free and easy way to contact your friends online? http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com Yahoo! Groups Links

laf48@aol.com

Post by laf48@aol.com » Sat May 14, 2005 11:24 am

A few old timers used to pour bon ami down the carburator to help seat piston rings!! ( To avoid a tear down under warranty) Len [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]