Brake Drums

KEN PORTER

Re: Brake Drums

Post by KEN PORTER » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:31 am

All: The most important component of you TC is the brakes. Bite the bullet and get Bob Grunau's Alfin drums. They look great, fit without alteration and work superbly. I have managed to lock up all four wheels with them. Short of ABS I doubt if any drums could be better. Ken Porter TC4147 Manchester NH

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:41 am

I second that - Bob's Alfins are brilliant, especially with the silicone fluid that's been in 10 years now, so I know that none of the pistons are going to be seized up. Roger TC0978 Devon UK
> The most important component of you TC is the brakes. Bite the bullet > and get Bob Grunau's Alfin drums. They look great, fit without > alteration and work superbly. I have managed to lock up all four wheels > with them. Short of ABS I doubt if any drums could be better. > Ken Porter TC4147 Manchester NH

mark.sellick@ukonline.co.uk

Post by mark.sellick@ukonline.co.uk » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:48 am

Hi All, Thanks to everyone who's responded to my question. I've seen photos of cars fitted with Bob's Alfin drums, and they certainly look the bee's knees. Just have to save up now (anyone in need of a kidney....???). Cheers, Mark TC1459 TA1392 ---------------------------------------------- This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net

ROSS TAYLOR

Post by ROSS TAYLOR » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:49 am

Datsun 1600 I have used them but you need a lathe to sort them out .not a job for the amateur , Regards Ross in Tea Gardens
>From: mark.sellick@ukonline.co.uk >To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [mg-tabc] Brake Drums >Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:58:48 +0000 > >Hi All, >I'm certain this subject has already been done to death, but my memory is >failing me. >I know that cast iron Datsun brake drums can be made to fit our cars. Can >the >erudite among us say from which model Datsun they come, and what if any >modifications are necessary? Are there any other alternatives? >Many thanks, >Mark >TC1459 >TA1392 > >---------------------------------------------- >This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >

MTAPPELL@AOL.COM

Brake drums

Post by MTAPPELL@AOL.COM » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:37 pm

I would appreciate any info anyone has on the difference if any between the stopping ability of an MGTC with alfin brake drums compared to one with datsun brake drums, all other factors being equal. Thank you Mel ************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Clive Sherriff

Re: Brake drums

Post by Clive Sherriff » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:14 am

To be honest - in normal sedate road use, None at all. Come to that, there is no difference between the alloy ones and the standard ones for most normal use - Ive never experienced brake fade with the standard set up even in twisty hilly countryside. Of far more importance is the type of lining you use on the shoes wrt the material of the drum. Maybe someone has experimental experience of soft/hard linings they could share ??? There is probably some advantage if you are racing, or doing a lot of quite fast driving through hilly areas. The original advanyage of Alfins was that the drums were drilled with about 1 inch holes that allowed cooling. The datsun ones are not drilled and would probably not be too safe drilled from what I have seen of them, and I dont thing the T Type "Alfin" replicas I've seen are drilled either. Certainly the alloys will dissipate heat faster than the steel originals however and just possibly the Datsun finning might just have the edge over the "Alfin" style options, but then the "Alfins" are probably a better grade of alloy. Fitting the Datsun ones is more fun if you're doing the machining youself - its not just a simple swop !!! Clive ================================
----- Original Message ----- From: MTAPPELL@AOL.COM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:37 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] Brake drums I would appreciate any info anyone has on the difference if any between the stopping ability of an MGTC with alfin brake drums compared to one with datsun brake drums, all other factors being equal. Thank you Mel ************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bob Grunau

Post by Bob Grunau » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:19 am

Hi Clive, I agree no difference in braking between Datsun and repro "original type " alfin drums. They both use a cast iron liner for the brake friction surface. However there is in fact an improvement in braking using an alfin drum over the standard steel drum because the co-efficient of friction is better with the cast iron liner in the alfin drum compared to the pressed steel original drum. I do agree you will not usually get brake fade on normal street driving, so the cooling/fade question is not relevant. Best regards, Bob Grunau -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Clive Sherriff Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:10 AM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com; MTAPPELL@AOL.COM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Brake drums To be honest - in normal sedate road use, None at all. Come to that, there is no difference between the alloy ones and the standard ones for most normal use - Ive never experienced brake fade with the standard set up even in twisty hilly countryside. Of far more importance is the type of lining you use on the shoes wrt the material of the drum. Maybe someone has experimental experience of soft/hard linings they could share ??? There is probably some advantage if you are racing, or doing a lot of quite fast driving through hilly areas. The original advanyage of Alfins was that the drums were drilled with about 1 inch holes that allowed cooling. The datsun ones are not drilled and would probably not be too safe drilled from what I have seen of them, and I dont thing the T Type "Alfin" replicas I've seen are drilled either. Certainly the alloys will dissipate heat faster than the steel originals however and just possibly the Datsun finning might just have the edge over the "Alfin" style options, but then the "Alfins" are probably a better grade of alloy. Fitting the Datsun ones is more fun if you're doing the machining youself - its not just a simple swop !!! Clive ================================
----- Original Message ----- From: MTAPPELL@AOL.COM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:37 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] Brake drums I would appreciate any info anyone has on the difference if any between the stopping ability of an MGTC with alfin brake drums compared to one with datsun brake drums, all other factors being equal. Thank you Mel ************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

FrankGraham

Post by FrankGraham » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Clive, I have to agree with you that doing the modifications to a set of the Datsun alfin drums takes a fair bit of time and effort having done this myself and it only makes economic sense if you are able to do the machine work yourself. I started with brand new Datsun 240/260 Z drums from Brembo that cost about $60US each and not only adapted them to fit but I tried to remachine them to look like T type alfins as much as possible. They should be fine for the street but because of the 4 extra holes present due to the switch from 4 bolt to 6 bolt pattern, if I were racing I would opt for the reproduction T type alfins. OTOH, I have to disagree with you about alfins being no better than the original steel drums unless they are drilled. The cast iron liner of the alfin type drums when used with soft linings will have much better stopping power than the original steel drums, and if you want cooling you can drill holes or mount an air scoop on the backing plates for racing. Also these new drums are true 8.00" ID when compared to 60 year old originals that have been cut and recut untold times, the result being that the shoes probably no longer make anything near proper contact. I'm in the process right now of a complete suspension and brake overhaul, installing Bob Grunau's rear carrier nuts with seals, sealed rear bearings, new kevlar lined shoes along with the Datsun drums, urethane bushings all around, rebuilt shocks. reconditioned springs, a Datsun steering box and a front panhard rod. I might even take a shot at replacing the ball joints on the tie and track rods with rose joints. I have owned this TC for 35 years and have been driving it since I finished restoring it in 1976. Over the years and many miles I have tried needle roller conversions on the kingpins and bishop's cam box which I then removed because it made the front end too twitchy. With that setup if you ran over a dime I could tell you if it was heads or tails, way too sensitive to the slightest surface irregularity and still no directional stability. The Datsun steering box all by itself has transformed the car but now I want to take the handling to another level along with getting the car to stop in what I consider a respectable fashion. I have always enjoyed driving it but I am reaching a point in life where I may finally have more time to drive it and improved handling and braking will just add to the enjoyment. I am also adding an LED D lamp conversion from Terry Sanders. I figure that if for a change I can actually stop in what is a respectable distance by modern standards then I want the guy behind me to be able to see me. Regards, -- Frank < frankgraham@msn.com > ______________________ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sara Dahl

brake drums

Post by Sara Dahl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Hello all - can anyone please tell me the max ID on a TC drum and when it (they) should be replaced or the safe ID. Also, are TA/TBTC all the same drums? TTFN Sara [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

js4955

brake drums

Post by js4955 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Its spring cleaning time in the garage and I find I have a number of original style TC brake drums in reasonably good condition. Free to anyone willing to pay shipping from northeast Pa. Jim [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]