electrical out-put

DSN_KLR650
Bogdan Swider

would you do it again?

Post by Bogdan Swider » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:10 pm

On 6/6/06 10:27 AM, "Ronald Criswell" wrote:
> I was cruising yesterday at 80 - 85 in a hurry to get out of the > heat, I thought surely it would burn oil at that speed but didn't > seem to much. > > Criswell > On Jun 6, 2006, at 8:25 AM, Mike Peplinski wrote: >
Glad to see you got back safe and sound - well I can't be sure of the sound part. What kind of oil do you use ? That's - I believe - a downside to the Mobil Uno cage I've been using for years; at the speeds you mentioned I burn a qt at least every 600 to 800 miles. For that reason I'm thinking of going to Castrol 20/50 dino but that'll mean harder starting when it gets cold - oh well. Bogdan

Michael Silverstein

would you do it again?

Post by Michael Silverstein » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Yes I would - sort of. I have been seriously considering getting a DL650 because it is more highway capable, but the KLR is so great everywhere else that I haven't really felt justified in spending the money. Plus the KLR is tolerable enough on the highway for moderate distances and if I made the switch I would be giving up too much off-road ability. One thing I would like is better passing ability. While the KLR will accelerate up to and hold speeds in excess of 85mph getting there takes a bit of time. Occasionally I have not been able to take advantage of short windows of opportunity to pass slow vehicles when in the mountains because the KLR just can't accelerate fast enough to make the jump safely. So to answer your question I will probably get a DL650 next but I'm not in a huge hurry and I understand that I may end up returning to the KLR. Mike A18 KLR650 tires page: [www.standoutnet.com/extras/mike/motorcy ... r650/tires] -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of martianbanshee Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:55 AM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Would you do it again? Hello all, I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now as my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to you: if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would you buy the KLR650 again? For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8 miles Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to and from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the twisties? Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take the occasional fire road or single track trail. Opinions and ideas are appreciated David -- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.8.2/356 - Release Date: 6/5/2006 -- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.8.2/356 - Release Date: 6/5/2006 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Gorm Larsen

would you do it again?

Post by Gorm Larsen » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:32 pm

I was in the same position as you. After 20 years of not riding I started up again by buying a new 2003 KLR. I had done a lot of MX and Cross Country riding in my younger days and felt very comfortable on the KLR. After putting 45,000 km on the first one in 2 seasons, I went out and bought a new KLR in the Spring of 2005. That one now has 30,000 km on it and still purring like a kitten, well, a very loud kitten. I am right now looking at a DL1000 for long distance touring, but I will keep my KLR. It is just too damn much fun and will take you places no other bike will, unless you have one you have to trailer to where the real fun starts. Gorm L., BC, Canada martianbanshee wrote: Hello all, I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now as my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to you: if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would you buy the KLR650 again? For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8 miles Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to and from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the twisties? Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take the occasional fire road or single track trail. Opinions and ideas are appreciated David __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

revmaaatin

would you do it again?

Post by revmaaatin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:49 pm

REply is inteposed within the text... --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "martianbanshee" wrote:
> > Hello all, > I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now
as
> my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to
you:
> if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would
you
> buy the KLR650 again?
SNIP Hello David, Would I buy one again? I have been out of the hospital 3 days after a two week stay, (Score: 1 clavicle, 5 ribs, no damage to the bike or the rut....) and I have offered two different guys the opportunity to sell me their seldom-used KLR. of course, it could be the drugs talking....
> > For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: > > Posture - sport bikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the > tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser.
SNIP You will love the ability of this bike to take you to more remote places and perhaps still allow yourself to self extract (hopefully) after you have piled up the pieces inside your body armor. Don't forget, about the money needed for the personal safety equipment as well as the bike. The armour will also more easily allow the EMS crew to identify the "bike rider" as opposed to some innocent bystander or wild-bovine (=deer) involved in the: bike vs. rut, bovine, bridge rail, etc. The gleeful sound in the back of the EMS van or helo will be the sound the paramedic cutting off your $400 armored jacket, realizing it was actually the leg, foot, toe that needed attention. All in the line of duty, of course. The medic's also like 'leather' and are equal opportunity slice and dicers. I'm not sure, but I think they keep a punch card on who sliced the most expensive motorcycle costume per year.
> > Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8
miles
>
SNIP Now this is really going to be a problem...explaining to your wife...why it took 2.5 hours to get home from work as it is only 1.8 miles to work. You should start immediately on a list of plausible excuses for being late for dinner, again. and late again. The bike will not start will not work but once on a woman that can read the odometer.
> Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy > rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to
and
> from the mountains?
SNIP Stuck on a VSTAR 650? Oh, please. Have courage and pull the trigger and buy a motorcycle, hmmm. KLR-650 comes to mind... Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the
> twisties? >
SNIP AS I recall, the KLR is fully capable of reaching the advisory speeds posted by the DOT (and sometime a little more, or so I have heard...) and much to the annoyance of some sport bikes, faster in the twisties and the HARLEY upside, you don't have to wash it except to check the odometer mileage for the oil change.
> Road less traveled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take > the occasional fire road or single track trail. >
SNIP ...and this is the serious part. And if you are going to go the road less traveled, be sure you wear all the gear, all the time (ATGATT) and that you take a young person to pick up your bike when the rut you travel bites you and leaves you with broken bones. WHY? It makes them young folks feel useful, and the old folks feel grateful. Who knew broken ribs hurt so much...and how useful a younger riding partner could be.
> Opinions and ideas are appreciated > David >
Opinions? What I hear is the KiLeRista choir singing A-Men. revmaaatin. slightly-broken Methodist Circuit rider, Sioux Empire

Norm Keller

would you do it again?

Post by Norm Keller » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:26 pm

My KLR is two years old, 13,000 km and if my 36th or 37th bike in the last 41 years of biking. My lst was a Gold Wing. Would I do it (KLR) again? Yep! No question. If I had the time, I'd buy a second one to mess with engine mods. My $0.02 Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mike Peplinski

would you do it again?

Post by Mike Peplinski » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:33 am

Amen. (And welcome back to the real world Rev) Score Rut "1", Rev "1" but willing for a rematch. Decision-Revmaaatin!! And the crowd roars for more!
>From: "revmaaatin" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Would you do it again? >Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 02:48:36 -0000 > >REply is inteposed within the text... > >--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "martianbanshee" > wrote: > > > > Hello all, > > I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now >as > > my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to >you: > > if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would >you > > buy the KLR650 again? > >SNIP >Hello David, >Would I buy one again? I have been out of the hospital 3 days after >a two week stay, >(Score: 1 clavicle, 5 ribs, no damage to the bike or the rut....) and >I have offered two different guys the opportunity to sell me their >seldom-used KLR. of course, it could be the drugs talking.... > > > > > For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: > > > > Posture - sport bikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the > > tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. > >SNIP > >You will love the ability of this bike to take you to more remote >places and perhaps still allow yourself to self extract (hopefully) >after you have piled up the pieces inside your body armor. Don't >forget, about the money needed for the personal safety equipment as >well as the bike. The armour will also more easily allow the EMS crew >to identify the "bike rider" as opposed to some innocent bystander or >wild-bovine (=deer) involved in the: bike vs. rut, bovine, bridge >rail, etc. The gleeful sound in the back of the EMS van or helo will >be the sound the paramedic cutting off your $400 armored jacket, >realizing it was actually the leg, foot, toe that needed attention. >All in the line of duty, of course. The medic's also like 'leather' >and are equal opportunity slice and dicers. I'm not sure, but I >think they keep a punch card on who sliced the most expensive >motorcycle costume per year. > > > > Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8 >miles > > > >SNIP > >Now this is really going to be a problem...explaining to your >wife...why it took 2.5 hours to get home from work as it is only 1.8 >miles to work. You should start immediately on a list of plausible >excuses for being late for dinner, again. and late again. The bike >will not start will not work but once on a woman that can read the >odometer. > > > Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy > > rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to >and > > from the mountains? > >SNIP > >Stuck on a VSTAR 650? Oh, please. Have courage and pull the trigger >and buy a motorcycle, hmmm. KLR-650 comes to mind... > >Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the > > twisties? > > >SNIP > >AS I recall, the KLR is fully capable of reaching the advisory speeds >posted by the DOT (and sometime a little more, or so I have >heard...) and much to the annoyance of some sport bikes, faster in >the twisties and the HARLEY upside, you don't have to wash it except >to check the odometer mileage for the oil change. > > > > Road less traveled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take > > the occasional fire road or single track trail. > > >SNIP >...and this is the serious part. > >And if you are going to go the road less traveled, be sure you wear >all the gear, all the time (ATGATT) and that you take a young person >to pick up your bike when the rut you travel bites you and leaves you >with broken bones. WHY? It makes them young folks feel useful, and >the old folks feel grateful. Who knew broken ribs hurt so much...and >how useful a younger riding partner could be. > > > Opinions and ideas are appreciated > > David > > > >Opinions? What I hear is the KiLeRista choir singing A-Men. > >revmaaatin. >slightly-broken Methodist Circuit rider, Sioux Empire > > > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

Andrus Chesley

would you do it again?

Post by Andrus Chesley » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:49 am

Oh yes, without a doubt. Been riding pretty steady since '57 and one of the top 5 all around bikes I've had. This my second KLR and it's seen 3 bikes leave my home and it's still here. Probably gonna see a 4th if I sell the R1150GSA. My other top 5 bikes were '72 DT2, '76 XT500, '82 XV920RH, '97 DR350SE as most fun per mile. The other 30 or so were just bikes to travel or have fun on. Andy in Jennings, La.

gpokluda

would you do it again?

Post by gpokluda » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:31 am

Not only would I, but I'm going to. I'm planning on purchasing a brand spanking new 07 in April of next year, if I can hold out that long. Gino --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "martianbanshee" wrote:
> > Hello all, > I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now
as
you:
you
> buy the KLR650 again? > > For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: > > Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the > tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. > > Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8
miles
> > Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy > rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to
and
> from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the > twisties? > > Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take > the occasional fire road or single track trail. > > Opinions and ideas are appreciated > David >

a14@att.net

would you do it again?

Post by a14@att.net » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:42 am

> Not only would I, but I'm going to. I'm planning on purchasing a > brand spanking new 07 in April of next year, if I can hold out that > long. > > Gino > >
If you wait until 4/07 to purchase an 07 there is a good chance they could all be sold out! Maybe consider a lay-away plan guaranteed in writing. Walt

Russell Scott

would you do it again?

Post by Russell Scott » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:53 pm

Welcome back Gino!!! R -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of gpokluda Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:24 AM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Would you do it again? Not only would I, but I'm going to. I'm planning on purchasing a brand spanking new 07 in April of next year, if I can hold out that long. Gino --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "martianbanshee" wrote:
as
you:
you
> buy the KLR650 again? > > For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: > > Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the > tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. > > Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8
miles
> > Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy > rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to
and
> from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the > twisties? > > Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take > the occasional fire road or single track trail. > > Opinions and ideas are appreciated > David >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]