dark side of pulling a wheelie

DSN_KLR650
dooden

clacking noise

Post by dooden » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:05 am

Might want to check the rad screen also, I ended up using safety wire and safety wire pliers to put a couple of twist holds on mine to shut it up. Have also heard about the fairing brackets cracking/breaking and giving out alot of noise. Good Luck Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "klr9992001" wrote: > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pople, Michael (JUS)" > wrote: > Check your heat shield on the header pipe their knowen to come loose. > Dan > > > > > > > I have a question for the group. I've noticed a "clacking", > metal-on-metal > > sound at low speeds; especially when I shift. It's quite loud as I > can hear > > it clearly through my helmet and earplugs. It seems to be coming > from the > > left side of the engine but it's difficult to be certain of that. I've > > looked everything over repeatedly so it isn't anything obvious like > a twig > > stuck in the frame and it happens too regularly to be a stone off > the tire > > (thought that's what it sounds like). Clearly I need to take this > into the > > shop but first I wanted some advice in case it is something obvious > of which > > I am unaware or possibly something my mechanic may have done > incorrectly at > > the last service. Could this be a symptom of doohickey failure? > Anyway, I > > know this is vague so pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance for any > > advice anyone can offer. It's much appreciated. > > Mike

Mike Peplinski

dark side of pulling a wheelie

Post by Mike Peplinski » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:30 am

You'll probably get 30k miles out of it no sweat. There is a reason BMW's, Goldwings and other touring bikes get high mileage on them; the riders seldom red-lilne them, don't spend a lot of time racing and most are not too good at pulling the wheels off the ground. I'm not criticizing. If you want to push it go for it. Just don't bad mouthing the KLR when it acts breaks. If you really got to have more power, consider nitrous. Power will probably shoot up around 100HP but the engine may not last long enough for a dyno run. BTW-those of you who are complaining about lack of power, maybe the KLR isn't right for you. I understand the BMW 650 has quite a bit more power and then there are the KTM and GS1200's. Oh yea, they do cost a little more though. I guess HP costs $$. You do the math.
>From: "Glenn" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: dark side of pulling a wheelie >Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:22:12 -0000 > > > >Actually, yes.. I would expect 30k miles out of it. I am pretty hard >on my bike but I change the oil regularly. If the KLR had more power >maybe I wouldn't have to run it so hard, but I prefer to use every >bit of power it has. Go ahead and run it hard.. don't run it in the >red for prolonged periods of time, but don't be afraid to ride the >bike either. > > >--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Peplinski" > >wrote: > > Sorry to inform, but wheelies aren't good for any bike. No matter >how >much > > beef is built into the bike, the strain on components is greater >than >during > > normal riding. If you just want to beat up the bike for a few years >the KLR > > will certainly take it but if you do regular maintenance, and ride >with some > > sanity the KLR wil last far longer. It is your call. Please don't >tell me > > how some of you guys run at WOT, constant redline and on one wheel >daily, > > and still get 90000 miles out of your KLR. It ain't gonna happen! > > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >