f.y.i. : klr650 idler shaft lever locking bolt torque

DSN_KLR650

help, i've got fuel/carb issues

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:59 pm

As usual, I accidentally sent the message to the original author and not the group. I'll repeat what I told him for the group's benefit: I had this same problem a while back and it was simple to solve. Somehow I had gotten a small amount of dirt in my gas tank, and during open throttle situations (like highway riding), there was enough suction to pull the dirt into the fuel lines and into the carb where it would plug up the jets. Temporary fix was to drain the float bowl and get off the highway. More permanent fix was to pour all my gas into a bin and take a look at it. Sure enough, there was sediment in there. A couple of flushes later and she was running like a champ. Hope this solves your problem, Michael A11 --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "coaltraintripn" wrote:
> On a recent weekend ride to the desert my buddy and I both
expereinced some carb
> or fuel issues with the KLR's at highway speeds around 60mph. I'm
looking for help in
> isolating the problem as we're leaving for Baja in 10-days! > > At around 60mph and above, we both noticed our bikes power was
pulsing - it felt
> exactly like the pulsing you might have right before you run out of
gas. At higher
> speeds the pulsing was extremely noticable, if not downright
violent. The bikes would
> go through spells of operating normally for 10-15 miles, then start
the pulsing again,
> then return to normal, or near normal. Pulsing spats would last
from 10-30 mile
> stretches. Below 50mph or so, the effect was not noticeable at all. > > I suspect the problem could be related to jetting, however neither
previous owners
> mentioned anything to me, or my friend, about either bike being
rejetted for alititude
> (a definite selling point around here). We live at 8,000ft. The
bikes run fine here (but
> it's rare to ride above 60mph here either). The pulsing kicked in
after we dropped
> 2,000 feet or so. Additionally, there was no pulsing when the
morning temperatures
> were cold. The problem only surfaced after the day warmed up... > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to be
doing is figuring
> this out in Mexico! > > Gracias! > > -Mike

thad_carey

Post by thad_carey » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:32 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "coaltraintripn" wrote:
> On a recent weekend ride to the desert my buddy and I both
expereinced some carb
> or fuel issues with the KLR's at highway speeds around 60mph. I'm
looking for help in
> isolating the problem as we're leaving for Baja in 10-days! > > At around 60mph and above, we both noticed our bikes power was
pulsing - it felt
> exactly like the pulsing you might have right before you run out of
gas. At higher
> speeds the pulsing was extremely noticable, if not downright
violent. The bikes would
> go through spells of operating normally for 10-15 miles, then start
the pulsing again,
> then return to normal, or near normal. Pulsing spats would last
from 10-30 mile
> stretches. Below 50mph or so, the effect was not noticeable at all. > > I suspect the problem could be related to jetting, however neither
previous owners
> mentioned anything to me, or my friend, about either bike being
rejetted for alititude
> (a definite selling point around here). We live at 8,000ft. The
bikes run fine here (but
> it's rare to ride above 60mph here either). The pulsing kicked in
after we dropped
> 2,000 feet or so. Additionally, there was no pulsing when the
morning temperatures
> were cold. The problem only surfaced after the day warmed up... > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to be
doing is figuring
> this out in Mexico! > > Gracias! > > -Mike
Like Devon says about the vacuum feed petcock, I've never liked them. I've changed both out on the last 2 KLRs I've had. On the newest one, an '01, I got Krokko's manual replacement. I'm not a neanderthal as far as technology goes, but I like my fuel on a gravity feed system to be on or off. Thad Carey A15

John Biccum

Post by John Biccum » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:48 pm

Sounds exactly like an issue that I had. Under a cover, right next to the side stand switch you will find an electrical connector. On my bike this had worked loose. Under 50 mph, no issues. At 50 plus mph acted like fuel starvation. Some people put dilectric grease on the connector.
----- Original Message ----- From: "thad_carey" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 18:32 Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: HELP, I've got fuel/carb issues > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "coaltraintripn" > wrote: >> On a recent weekend ride to the desert my buddy and I both > expereinced some carb >> or fuel issues with the KLR's at highway speeds around 60mph. I'm > looking for help in >> isolating the problem as we're leaving for Baja in 10-days! >> >> At around 60mph and above, we both noticed our bikes power was > pulsing - it felt >> exactly like the pulsing you might have right before you run out of > gas. At higher >> speeds the pulsing was extremely noticable, if not downright > violent. The bikes would >> go through spells of operating normally for 10-15 miles, then start > the pulsing again, >> then return to normal, or near normal. Pulsing spats would last > from 10-30 mile >> stretches. Below 50mph or so, the effect was not noticeable at all. >> >> I suspect the problem could be related to jetting, however neither > previous owners >> mentioned anything to me, or my friend, about either bike being > rejetted for alititude >> (a definite selling point around here). We live at 8,000ft. The > bikes run fine here (but >> it's rare to ride above 60mph here either). The pulsing kicked in > after we dropped >> 2,000 feet or so. Additionally, there was no pulsing when the > morning temperatures >> were cold. The problem only surfaced after the day warmed up... >> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to be > doing is figuring >> this out in Mexico! >> >> Gracias! >> >> -Mike > Like Devon says about the vacuum feed petcock, I've never liked > them. I've changed both out on the last 2 KLRs I've had. On the > newest one, an '01, I got Krokko's manual replacement. I'm not a > neanderthal as far as technology goes, but I like my fuel on a > gravity feed system to be on or off. > Thad Carey > A15 > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > >

rsanders30117

Post by rsanders30117 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:01 am

With my IMS translucent tank I can see what's in the bottom my tank. I'm amazed at the trash that is delivered with the fuel. I can see all sorts of small bits & pieces down at the bottom of the tank lobes. Ordinarily you can't see this debris & are happy in your ignorance. What I see definitely supports installation of a fuel filter between the tank & the carburetor. I use to think an additional fuel filter was just icing on the cake but I now know better. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schaefer" wrote:
> As usual, I accidentally sent the message to the original author
and
> not the group. I'll repeat what I told him for the group's benefit: > > I had this same problem a while back and it was simple to solve. > Somehow I had gotten a small amount of dirt in my gas tank, and > during open throttle situations (like highway riding), there was > enough suction to pull the dirt into the fuel lines and into the
carb
> where it would plug up the jets. Temporary fix was to drain the
float
> bowl and get off the highway. More permanent fix was to pour all my > gas into a bin and take a look at it. Sure enough, there was
sediment
> in there. A couple of flushes later and she was running like a
champ.
> > Hope this solves your problem, > > Michael > A11 > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "coaltraintripn" > wrote: > > On a recent weekend ride to the desert my buddy and I both > expereinced some carb > > or fuel issues with the KLR's at highway speeds around 60mph. I'm > looking for help in > > isolating the problem as we're leaving for Baja in 10-days! > > > > At around 60mph and above, we both noticed our bikes power was > pulsing - it felt > > exactly like the pulsing you might have right before you run out
of
> gas. At higher > > speeds the pulsing was extremely noticable, if not downright > violent. The bikes would > > go through spells of operating normally for 10-15 miles, then
start
> the pulsing again, > > then return to normal, or near normal. Pulsing spats would last > from 10-30 mile > > stretches. Below 50mph or so, the effect was not noticeable at
all.
> > > > I suspect the problem could be related to jetting, however
neither
> previous owners > > mentioned anything to me, or my friend, about either bike being > rejetted for alititude > > (a definite selling point around here). We live at 8,000ft. The > bikes run fine here (but > > it's rare to ride above 60mph here either). The pulsing kicked in > after we dropped > > 2,000 feet or so. Additionally, there was no pulsing when the > morning temperatures > > were cold. The problem only surfaced after the day warmed up... > > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to
be
> doing is figuring > > this out in Mexico! > > > > Gracias! > > > > -Mike

kdxkawboy@aol.com

f.y.i. : klr650 idler shaft lever locking bolt torque

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:16 am

For the life of me I can't understand what the numb nuts is ranting about. I read Eldon's article on the balance lever and I can't find what this idiot is talking about. Gis recommended torque is 109 in-lbs, which is about 9 ft-lbs, which doesn't sound out of whack ... unless ... could this stupido have read 109 ft-lbs, instead of in-lbs, and has mucked things up on his bike? Pat G'ville, Nv In a message dated 2004-03-30 6:38:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, moabmc@... writes:
> > I wonder if this guy knows I have nothing to do with > "MultisurfaceMotorcycling.com"? > Some days you win and other times it don't pay to get out of bed.... > > Fred > http://www.ARROWHEADMOTORSPORTS.COM > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/cmc.html > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: > To: > Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 12:59 PM > Subject: F.Y.I. : KLR650 Idler Shaft Lever Locking Bolt Torque > > > >March 25, 2004 > > > >To Whom It May Concern at MultisurfaceMotorcycling.com, > > > >Subject: Idler Shaft Lever Locking Bolt Torque and Free Internet Advice > > > >It is grossly irresponsible and unethical to specify or publish a torque > value for the locking bolt unless a qualified person has done an engineering > analysis for the bolt and mating parts using the appropriate design > criteria, and has had those calculations independently checked for accuracy. > General and other torque tables have nothing to do with the necessary > locking bolt tightness needed to prevent movement of the idle shaft lever. > > > >Too much torque on the locking bolt could damage or strip the mating > threads in the generator case cover (necessitating a thread insert - guess > you figured that out) and possibly adversely affect the integrity of the > idler shaft lever, balancer system and engine. > > > >How many KLR owners have damaged or stripped locking bolt threads in the > generator case cover, and have unknowingly put their engines at possible > risk, due to your recommendations? > > > >The information on your website appears to indicate some backpedaling, and > new qualifications with respect to your original torque value. > > > >Please don't publish any technical information unless you can certify it > to be completely accurate and are willing to be held accountable for it. > Otherwise, it's just more internet > >DFA (Dipshit Free Advice). > > >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]