dsn - what does it stand for?

DSN_KLR650
Volker Traudt

which bike to choose....

Post by Volker Traudt » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:35 am

I am 5'10", 210 lbs. I take it occasionally on the interstate (to get to places and save the gas), even so I don't feel "home" on the interstate with cars left and right. But I am more than capable of swimming with the traffic, passing the slower (low 70mph) guys. My speedo is in km/h, and I am sure is lying a lot. But based on the speedo, I can easily run 145 km/h, which is 90 mph; my feeling is you have to deduct 8 mph, because at that speed there are still quite a few cars "with" me, and normal traffic on this section of I96 runs 80 mph for the fast lane. Note: I am not sure if my bike is a hotter version (it seems to be a Canada spec model), and I know there a different versions (Europe is detuned to 17 and 27 hp, but I think there are versions US or Canada that have mid 30 hp). Group: Why is it that here in the states no one talks about power (cars or cycles). Wouldn't that be much more descriptive than cc or in the case of cars the number of cylinders? There are so many cars out there with a 6 cylinder that have more power that the V8, and smaller discplacement engines beating the heck out of some big bore ones (look at comparison Japanese/European engines to US big three)? I have never been a street bike, so the acceleration of the 250 to me is a lot of fun, that thing revs happily into the 11000 (kind of scary), and has a huge usable rpm range (good power without a dip from 5000-11000, but even more important for me, I can climb some hills with good torque at walking speed). I am still scared of high leaning angles in turns, so my speed around corners on streets is laughable for most any driver. I have a little 1980 Suzuki TS125 (bought it cheap and fixed it up to street legal status). That thing has half the power, but boy is it a difference to back it out of the garage, run around the house. Its so nimble (but clearly a whole level below the KLR250 in sophistication). I could not imagine having to handle the weight and bulk of a 650. My ideal bike: 180-200 lbs, power and sophistication of the KLR250, same seating hight, less weight in the front. Still looking for that one. Had a Honda XL185 when I started 20 years ago, not enough power, but good handling. Maybe a Honda XL250 or so with some go-fast mods would be an alternative? Volker -----Original Message----- From: kj_link@... [mailto:kj_link@...] Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 12:08 AM To: Volker Traudt Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] which bike to choose.... Thanks for the info. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Do you find the 250 to be underpowered on the road? --- Volker Traudt wrote:
> It all depends on what you plan on doing with the > bike. > > I have a KLR250, ride mostly in first gear, narrow > local trials, really slow > speed (more what they do in trial sport). > I like to drive to the trial, but also just tour the neighborhood and > unpaved roads. I have not gone on a longer trip than > 50 miles. For what I am > doing, the 250 is already heavy (yet I certainly > like the power/speed when > on the highway). For my purpose, a 650 is > unthinkable. A low seat is a must > for my off road drivig (I "climbed" on a Suzuki > DR400, impossible thought > for me). > > If you want a 50/50 bike, plan on touring, consider > gravel and forest roads > "dirt bike terretory", then the 650 is for you. > Being such a durable bike, > saving a few bucks on a good used one seems to be a > vise choice, they > haven't changed much at all since the war. > > Hope this helps. > > Volker > > > -----Original Message----- > From: >
sentto-488385-83300-1064950217-vtraudt=compuserve.com@....c
> om >
[mailto:sentto-488385-83300-1064950217-vtraudt=compuserve.com@...
> .yahoo.com] On Behalf Of kj_link > Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 3:20 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] which bike to choose.... > > > > I am a newbie, and am beating my head against the > wall trying to > decide which bike to buy. I have looked at the > klr250, and the seat > height appeals to me a lot. I have also considered > the klr650, but > am concerned that it may be too much bike for me. > What kind advice > can I get that will steer me in the right direction. > I was dead set > on getting a 2004 klr250, but one of the local > dealers told me today > that they have a 2003 klr650 for around 4k, with 626 > miles on it. > Please help a greenhorn! > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at > www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by > sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search http://shopping.yahoo.com

Volker Traudt

dsn - what does it stand for?

Post by Volker Traudt » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:54 am

That's good one. I am sure glad my 250 is immune against that desease. Volker -----Original Message----- From: dave-pedley@... [mailto:dave-pedley@...] Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 11:20 PM To: Volker Traudt; DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] DSN - what does it stand for? Doohickeys Scare Newbies ...............................davep A17
----- Original Message ----- From: "Volker Traudt" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 21:36 Subject: [DSN_klr650] DSN - what does it stand for? > After weeks of reading and writing in this group, it struck me today > that I have no idea what the DSN in DSN_KLR650 stands for? > > Dual Sport Natives? > > Let me know. > > Volker > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >