re tank bags

DSN_KLR650
monahanwb

comfort, vibration: klr650 vs cb750???

Post by monahanwb » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:21 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "mnron2002" wrote:
> This is the ONLY bike that I have ever > bought that matched a previous model.
Same here. On my third, if I can count my tengai.

dooden

Post by dooden » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:37 am

If the wind is coming from the right side, move your right knee out to catch wind, this will help counter steer the bike into the wind. Reverse for other side of course, from left/left Works for me. Dooden
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Glen Harness" wrote: > > I took my KLR650 out last Saturday on what was probably the last > 50+ degree day here in the Nashville area. The wind was blowing 10-15 > mph with 25 mph gusts. I ultimately had to cut my ride short because > of the wind; was getting blown all over the road. I was on surface > streets, so I was traveling at most 50 mph, with most of it being 30 > to 40 mph due to traffic. Haven't got up the nerve yet to hit the > interstate on the thing yet, so I'm not sure how the bike would have > handled at a higher speed. > > > > Glen > > It's a big sail and will catch the wind more than say a Ducati > Monster. > Tnat said, if you can learn to counterbalance the bike with your > body, it's just a busy ride in the wind rather than an impossible > one... > > Stu > I remember seeing someone post here a few months ago a way to try to counterbalance the wind. It had to do with sticking your knee out, depending on which way the wind was coming from. I can't remember which knee for which direction; I've tried it and I _think_ it helps, but it's sometimes hard to judge which way the wind is blowing... > > Glen > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

S. B. Lawrence

Post by S. B. Lawrence » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:40 am

I've owned both. Since you don't mention a word about going off pavement and apparently want the best highway comfort level at superslab speeds, get the CB750. End of story...almost. Also might consider a used (mid/late 90's) Triumph Thunderbird because they're pretty cheap if you look around. They don't hold their value well cuz people don't know how extremely reliable the new Hinckley Triumphs are--a few minor glitches in new models have made some (quite wrongly!) afraid of used ones. And the character quotient is literally off the scale compared to a (yawn) CB750. I know. I've owned both and ridden both on cross-country trips. Anybody not currently riding a Voyager, Goldwing or Electraglide will find either one comfy and reasonably stable with a Plexifairing II or III added (either fits either). Not knocking the CB750, it's a good ole ride, but no journalist ever wrote "a sound to make a red Ferrari turn green with envy" when talking about a Nighthawk. Just a suggestion, don't know what your budget or preferences in that regard are.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Tod Fiste wrote: > I am trying to decide on my next bike (my current/first bike is a Kawasaki > EX500 "Ninja") and I could use some help/opinions. > > Thanks to the lack of practical, economical standards on the U.S. market for > the last decade plus, and my budget, I pretty much have it down to a used > KLR650 or used Honda Nighthawk 750. 75% of my riding is commuting in the San > Fran Bay Area, a combination of city and highway riding. I would like to > include touring/long rides in my non-commute riding, something that my EX500 > is too uncomfortable for me to enjoy much. > > I am wondering about vibration on the KLR650 at highway speeds (85 mph on > some Bay Area freeways) and overall comfort for long-distance riding. I am > particularly interested in any opinions from those who have experience of > the KLR650 and the Nighthawk as to how they compare comfort-wise on long > trips. > > The other thing I'm wondering about RE: the KLR650 is how it is to ride on > the freeway in windy conditions. It gets REALLY windy around here, > especially on some of the bridges and the hills, and I'm concerned about > some opinions I've read saying that the height and lightness of the KLR650 > make it problematic under these conditions. > > (Also, if anyone wants to compare the experience of riding an EX500 VS. a > KLR650, I'd be grateful. I know they are totally different animals, but I > know how much the wind affects the EX500 and I know what vibration feels > like on it, so a comparison would help me know what to expect.) > > Thanks, > Tod

RM

Post by RM » Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:54 am

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, S. B. Lawrence wrote:
>And the character quotient is literally off the scale compared to a >(yawn) CB750.
I never did see what the guy's budget is. I was going to make sure that he's budgeted enough for some other middleweight standard, and then maybe try to nudge him in that direction.

TM1669@cs.com

Post by TM1669@cs.com » Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:49 am

In a message dated 12/5/2002 4:31:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, harnessg@... writes: << Haven't got up the nerve yet to hit the interstate on the thing yet, so I'm not sure how the bike would have handled at a higher speed. >> Its been the windiest I can remember for a long time here in northern Ohio and I ride to work along the windy shores of Lake Erie every day. Ive had a couple of rides in 35 mph steady winds gusting to 45-55 in spots and it wasnt a lot of fun at all. I cant compare it to any other bike due to the fact this is my first but I cant imagine any bike would be that much better to make it enjoyable.

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:16 pm

> With the stock suspension and ride-height, if I lower the front end > (slide the forks up so they stick out more on top) about 1/2", cross- > wind and truck-wake problems are improved. I then use lowering links > to lower the back of the bike 1 1/2", and then raise the forks (lower > the front end) another 1 1/2" (then have 2" showing above the top > triple-clamp) and the road manners are GREATLY improved. However, I > wouldn't use this setup to ride in Baja, or on any rough terrain... > (don't rry this at home....) >
I have the same set up and agree that it improves road manners however I disagree that the change knocks out the option of using the bike on rough terrain. For example: I did the White Rim - which has a few rough sections - and had no more problems than the un-lowered bikes that did the ride with me. A lowered bike used in those situations however, makes a metal bash plate a must. I think the easiest thing you can do to improve high speed and high wind rides is to dump the sail that masquerades as the bikes stock fender. We have some incredibly windy spots here in Colorado; I rode with a lower fender before I lowered the bike and had no unusual problems with wind or high speed stability. The klr handled those situations as well - actually better - as the R65 BMW that I rode before getting the klr. Bogdan

C. Baker

re tank bags

Post by C. Baker » Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:50 pm

I've had a Kawi tank bag since SEP02, and use it on every ride over 100 miles.It's easy to put on and take off, fits perfectly, and after a heavy dose of Scotchgard, faily waterproof. It holds quite a lot, although it does get in the way of wearing a fanny pack. The elastic fabric has held up very well, still stretches out and back. As far as scratches,about the only place on my tank that isn't scratched is where the bag sits. The only pieces of "luggage" I use more are a CycoActive Glovebox, and a CycoActive Barpack Mapcase. ceb
----- Original Message ----- From: "daveel2002" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 10:12 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] re tank bags > My dealer threw in a tank and tail bag. Has anyone using the Kaw tank > bag had problems with mud/dirt getting under the bra and wearing the > paint? Also it doesn't look like the stretch fabric will hold up for > long. How long have you had yours? > Daveel > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >