high winds and coasting issue

DSN_KLR650
ron criswell

front sprocket

Post by ron criswell » Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:59 am

I used to use a shop rag wedged between the primary / clutch gear till a mechanic way better than me advised me I could break my crankshaft using such technique's. Criswell Jim Franklin wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:17:11PM -0600, David Kelly wrote: > >Devon Jarvis writes: > >> > >> Heat the nut with a propane torch. Use a small tip like the propane > >> bottle torch that any hardware store sells, playing it only around the > >> nut. Try to loosen it while still hot. > > > >I strongly recommend AGAINST using heat on the countershaft sprocket > >nut. Use an air wrench. > > What he said. Also, 5th gear gives you the best ratio for turning > the engine. You want to use first gear if you're counting on the engine > holding the countershaft. In reality, you will bend/break something. > > We used to use a penny wedged in between the primary gear and clutch drive gear > for loosening either. It seemed to cause the least damage. But it's more > work to get to if you're not there anyway. > > If you can't loosen it by holding the rear brake, rent/buy an electric > impact gun and an impact socket. > > jim > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Jim Franklin

front sprocket

Post by Jim Franklin » Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:21 pm

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:51:57AM -0800, Ron Criswell wrote:
>I used to use a shop rag wedged between the primary / clutch gear till a mechanic >way better than me advised me I could break my crankshaft using such technique's.
What were you wrenching on? Anything other than the flywheel and there is no force being transmitted to the crank.. jim

dooden

front sprocket

Post by dooden » Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:44 pm

Yet to remove mine, to install the 14t I got sitting here, but my intentions are to use my Electric Impact Wrench ;-) Some auto parts stores offer free rental, or perhaps in the effort of not breaking or ruining other items on or near the bike go to a tool rental and rent one, and do not use it to put the nut back on. The Tab will keep it from coming off. Somebody can confirm, but "I think" its a 22mm nut. My bike is garaged away from me for this most lovely midwest winter. Duden A15 Pilot
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., imperial-4776@w... wrote: > Ok > > I have the sprocket cover off, and have bent back the safety washer, the > bike is in first gear, I am holding down the back brake, and have a > bungy cords on the front brake. > > I'm trying to un-screw the nut in a anti clockwise motion, but its not > moving ! > > What am I doing wrong ???? > > TIA > Dave

dooden

front sprocket

Post by dooden » Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:01 pm

That would be Throttle Side !!! ;-) Duden A15 Pilot
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "dale_johnson13" wrote: > > > what is "Jake's Right Nut" ?

nollsp

front sprocket

Post by nollsp » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:22 pm

I just installed this 14 tooth from DK: http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp? serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=8098114 Looked like an exact fit to me. Did not seem to be any different than the stocker (minus one tooth). After the post though - I fear maybe I just took the crossref doc as gold and installed it without paying close enough attention. Seems to run just fine - lined right up. Worth pulling it off for a close exam or think I am fine? Here are the specs from JT: http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?sel_uid=1014&p= sn

Keith Saltzer

front sprocket

Post by Keith Saltzer » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:28 pm

My sprockets are different thicknesses, and I don't worry about it. I will say this again however. If you have a pre-96 model, get the revised Retainer AND the Harbor Shim kit from Jake, at Sagebrush Machine, to avoid big problems down the road because of all the slop between the retainer/sprocket and between the sprocket/engine case. I just take up whatever different slack there is, with different sprockets, with the more than adequate shim kit, and everything stays put much better with the new retainer. MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special)
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "nollsp" wrote: > I just installed this 14 tooth from DK: > > http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp? > serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=8098114 > > Looked like an exact fit to me. Did not seem to be any different > than the stocker (minus one tooth). After the post though - I fear > maybe I just took the crossref doc as gold and installed it without > paying close enough attention. Seems to run just fine - lined right > up. Worth pulling it off for a close exam or think I am fine? > > Here are the specs from JT: > > http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?sel_uid=1014&p= > > sn

martinwaters

front sprocket

Post by martinwaters » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:11 am

Considering changing front sprocket to a 16 point for a long trip. Using calculator from Iron Jungle, it looks like I would get about 7 mph more speed in 5th gear at same revs as current 15 point sprocket. Does this sound about right?? Is it worth the change?? Thanks!

Greg S

front sprocket

Post by Greg S » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:09 am

>from: martinwaters >Considering changing front sprocket to a 16 point for a long trip. >Using calculator from Iron Jungle, it looks like I would get about 7 >mph more speed in 5th gear at same revs as current 15 point sprocket. >Does this sound about right?? Is it worth the change?? >Thanks!
I had a 16 tooth and switched to the stock 15 for more control in 1st and 2nd gears off-road. I still commute regularly on the highway with the 15 tooth and really haven't noticed much difference in feel or mileage at highway speeds. The tach just reads about 500 more rpms @ 70mph. My feeling is that it really doesn't do that much. However it's an inexpensive, simple, and easily reversible modification, so give it a try if you're curious. Post some feedback if you do try it. -Greg

dumbazz650

front sprocket

Post by dumbazz650 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:33 am

I would'nt expect to get an increase in overall mph. The thumper only make so much hp, and by 90-95mph, whatever hp you have is overcoming wind resistance and rolling resistance. Gear ratios mean very little unless you swap the plastic for something much more slippery -aerodynamically speaking. Instead I think the 16 delivered a reduction of about 400 rpm at hiway cruising speeds. This makes for a nice reduction in vibration that allow you to ride further with less fatigue. On mostly level terrain, I would expect a small change in mpg - if you ride at 65 or less, expect a few mpg gain, over 75, expect a few mpg loss. If you are riding tight twisties, or steep hills, it's not much of an advantage, as you will need to work the lower gears to find a combination that allows the engine to stay in it's sweet spot while keeping your speed within reason. There is a school of thought that says that the average biker runs a risk of wearing th engine out sooner with the 16 tooth because the rdier will be working the engine harder through the lower gears to overcome the gearing change. My initial reaction is "BS!" It is possible that these worries will be proven accurate. But for those of us that grew up riding without tachometers, we know how the engine pulls, hp vs torque. We're smart enough not to lug the beast or to over-rev the beast. These are the two place where engine damage occurs at accellerated rates. For flat land or gentle hills, go for the 16 tooth. Steep 4x4 trails or tight single-track, go for the 14. General hooligan or street-fighter, go for the 14. For everything else, 15 works exceedingly well. Good luck, MarkB --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "martinwaters" wrote:
> Considering changing front sprocket to a 16 point for a long trip. > Using calculator from Iron Jungle, it looks like I would get about
> mph more speed in 5th gear at same revs as current 15 point
sprocket.
> Does this sound about right?? Is it worth the change?? > Thanks!

philipnoyb

front sprocket

Post by philipnoyb » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:06 pm

I use both the 16t and 15t using the sprocket nut from Jake. I live in Southern California, so to get anywhere, that means freeway miles. For that, the 16t has made a huge improvement for me. At 75 mph I'm at 4300 rpms and the bike just feels like it's not working as hard. When my bike lives in the mountains at Big Bear, I switch to the 15 tooth. Best of both worlds for me! Get that self locking nut from Jake, it made all the difference from a pain in the a** job to a pretty simple one. Philip --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "martinwaters" wrote:
> Considering changing front sprocket to a 16 point for a long trip. > Using calculator from Iron Jungle, it looks like I would get about
> mph more speed in 5th gear at same revs as current 15 point
sprocket.
> Does this sound about right?? Is it worth the change?? > Thanks!