gold country dual sport ride

DSN_KLR650
Ron and Brenda Moorhouse

boots

Post by Ron and Brenda Moorhouse » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:26 am

anyone have experience with the Gaerne St Dry Boot? Ron and Brenda Moorhouse Modesto, CA 95356 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

John

boots

Post by John » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:09 pm

I have a pair of SIDI Onroad which are great for street but am looking for something more offroad with protection. The Onroads have little ankle and foot protection. I broke my foot eight weeks ago when my DL1000 went down and decided I needed more protection for off roads which is why I got the KLR. Any suggestions for a boot that has ankle support and foot protection that you can walk in. Going to BAJA with the KLR for nine days in January and only want to take one pair of boots.

Erik

boots

Post by Erik » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:34 pm

> Any suggestions for a boot that has ankle support and foot protection > that you can walk in. Going to BAJA with the KLR for nine days in > January and only want to take one pair of boots.
"Proper protection" and "can walk in" seem to be mostly mutually exclusive in boots. I got a pair of SIDI force flexes for when I ride offroad. They're spendy, but I decided it was worth not breaking my foot. I think they paid for themselves the first time I dumped the bike sideways onto my ankle. You can clunk around in them, but theyr'e not good for walking. If it were me I'd get a pair of decently protective boots and just bring a pair of shoes to throw on when you're not riding. erik

Blake Sobiloff

boots

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:31 pm

On Nov 21, 2006, at 5:37 PM, erik wrote:
> You can clunk around in them, but theyr'e not good for walking. If > it were > me I'd get a pair of decently protective boots and just bring a > pair of > shoes to throw on when you're not riding.
That's what I did for my TAT trip--Sidi Crossfire boots during the day, and some Teva-style sandals for the evenings. Worked out pretty well. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jud Jones

boots

Post by Jud Jones » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:56 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
> > I have a pair of SIDI Onroad which are great for street but am looking > for something more offroad with protection. The Onroads have little > ankle and foot protection. I broke my foot eight weeks ago when my > DL1000 went down and decided I needed more protection for off roads > which is why I got the KLR. > Any suggestions for a boot that has ankle support and foot protection > that you can walk in. Going to BAJA with the KLR for nine days in > January and only want to take one pair of boots. >
I wore my Aerostich Combat Lites to Copper Canyon, and will wear them again. The regular Combat Touring boots would work too, and give a little more protection. Also made by Sidi.

Ronald Criswell

boots

Post by Ronald Criswell » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:31 am

Sidi Combat Touring boots from Aerostitch. Sorta like an MX boot that you can actually walk comfortably in. They are all leather. Criswell
On Nov 21, 2006, at 6:58 PM, John wrote: > I have a pair of SIDI Onroad which are great for street but am looking > for something more offroad with protection. The Onroads have little > ankle and foot protection. I broke my foot eight weeks ago when my > DL1000 went down and decided I needed more protection for off roads > which is why I got the KLR. > Any suggestions for a boot that has ankle support and foot protection > that you can walk in. Going to BAJA with the KLR for nine days in > January and only want to take one pair of boots. > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Arden Kysely

boots

Post by Arden Kysely » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:44 am

I like my Sidi Discoveries. I wouldn't hike the John Muir Trail in them, but they're fine for all-day wearing and short walks. I haven't tried dropping a bike on them yet. I also like my OnRoads for on-road riding. Their waterproofing has never let me down. __Arden
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote: > > I have a pair of SIDI Onroad which are great for street but am looking > for something more offroad with protection. The Onroads have little > ankle and foot protection. I broke my foot eight weeks ago when my > DL1000 went down and decided I needed more protection for off roads > which is why I got the KLR. > Any suggestions for a boot that has ankle support and foot protection > that you can walk in. Going to BAJA with the KLR for nine days in > January and only want to take one pair of boots. >

Kyle

boots

Post by Kyle » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:02 pm

I forgot to mention that these boots were comfy to walk in also. http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/Gaerne%20Explorer%20Boot.htm

Blake Sobiloff

boots

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:16 pm

On Nov 27, 2006, at 7:39 AM, J Norton wrote:
> Thanks for the information, This is a very active > board much more so than the vstrom.
You're welcome! Let me add to my original message that it's important to get sandals that don't loop around your big toe if you're going to be in cooler weather. You'll want to wear socks to keep your feet warm even though you won't win any fashion awards. The big toe loops, while providing better control when hiking, can make it uncomfortable to impossible to wear normal socks. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Larry Fulkerson

gold country dual sport ride

Post by Larry Fulkerson » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:33 pm

A group of Dual Sport riders is planning another ride this Sunday. Check out our group site for additional information. We would love to have you come along on this our final ride of the year. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/GCDSR/ We have departure locations in Folsom, and Auburn, CA. Hope you can make it. Sharky sharkysam1@...