pasta burners? nklr

DSN_KLR650
Tengai Mark Van Horn

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:25 pm

At 3:07 PM -0400 8/12/03, Devon Jarvis wrote:
>Righting a bike >dropped in deep sand isn't too bad, but there are mud holes >that can swallow bikes of any size. If you can't go around >it or over it, and through it doesn't work out, you'll have >to bodily lift the bike out of the mud. The weight of a GS + >suction could easily take four guys.
Which reminds me... has anyone mounted a small ATV winch onto a KLR? I think that would be neat to see. Mark

monahanwb

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by monahanwb » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:26 pm

I just returned from my annual Idaho ride. I had originallty planned to go on the KLR and I tried, but it developed cooling system problems so I returned home and took my R1100RS up there, meeting up with the guys I usually ride with after they were done with the Nez Perce ride. My oilhead made the road trip no problem, but some of the guys on the NP ride didn't have such good luck - worse than what happened to me on the KLR a couple of weeks ago. There were about 6 KLRs on the Nez Perce ride, and the rest GSs and F650s, mostly the newer versions. One fellow lost his final drive and had to take a tow back to Boise. One fellow lost his oil sight glass, which seems to be a common problem for the oilhead motors. It strands you unless you carry a spare. Two GSs developed leaking banjo bolts on the rear brake calipers. One GS was ridden so hard that it broke some frame/engine mounting points and was also towed home. Other than my breakdown when I left for Idaho and resulting in the rental of a U-haul truck, I don't think anything went wrong with any of the KLRs up there. Does anyone know of a possible replacement of cooling fan motor and blade? I need a new motor that will mount on the radiator. I am going to take the KLR out for lunch without its fan, but its only 80 degrees here now, not the 97 to 100 I encountered in the Central Valley and in Nevada and Idaho.

runstrom2003

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by runstrom2003 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:45 pm

This can be true with the KLR also. There was a guy who recently dropped his in a mud puddle on a dirt road here in Illinois. His tank was full and he also had the tail-pack full of sweet corn. Luckily a young (strong) farm-kid happened along and they easlily "plucked" the bike from hole. lesson to be learned: Stick to the gravel roads after rain, unless of course your riding a DRZ or a KLR with knob's. Sometimes a think a DR650 (with that small tank) would look pretty good!! Joe in IL --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, ron criswell wrote:
> I guess because we see the BMW ad's with a guy blasting through
sand or water and all the squids believe it. Amazing the power
> of hype and advertising. > And thinking the more money you spend is better. Just don't ever
drop that pig when you are alone.
> > Criswell > > imperial-4776@w... wrote: > > > "A KLR can go to places a GS can't" ? > > > > Hmmm, yet to see a KLR on the Dakar ... but have seen many GS's
powering
> > their way through. > > > > I saw Coach, (Coach being a bloke in Oregon" riding his GS around
a moto
> > X track. Sure he didn't get much air, sure he was over taken by
much
> > smaller lighter bikes, but still he rode that course all morning
long.
> > > > As Arden, said, a lot of it has to do with the riders skill
level, and
> > of course the bikes physics too. > > > > I don't ride a GS, but don't see why folks are always knocking
GS's.
> > > > Dave > > BMW salesman :-) joking > > Oregon > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List
FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html
> > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Zachariah Mully

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by Zachariah Mully » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:56 pm

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 16:45, runstrom2003 wrote:
> This can be true with the KLR also. There was a guy who recently > dropped his in a mud puddle on a dirt road here in Illinois. His > tank was full and he also had the tail-pack full of sweet corn. > Luckily a young (strong) farm-kid happened along and they > easlily "plucked" the bike from hole. > > lesson to be learned: Stick to the gravel roads after rain, unless of > course your riding a DRZ or a KLR with knob's.
Sometimes you simply get stuck, really really badly, like I did on my TransAm Trail trip. Three of us couldn't budge it... Moral of the story, look before you ride, I foolishly thought I could cross this road, and didn't stop to check how deep the mud was (about 3.5' I found out ;) : http://zaphod.smartbrief.com/pics/tat/ Luckily a nice farmer was able to help out. Z DC A5X A12X

imperial-4776@webtv.net

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by imperial-4776@webtv.net » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:02 pm

A Mig jet fighter, can't fly to the moon, so does that make the Mig a bad bird of war ? ... I think not. An Emu can't fly, but does that make an emu's wings less appealing come BBQ time .. I think not. Time can't go backwards, but does that make time useless .. I think not. My point about GS's v KLR's in the Dakar still stands, Whether they be modified or not, is not important to me, the fact of the matter is that the GS's does run in the Dakar. Dave Oregon Peeling his GS sticker off of his locker, sharpish like.

Tumu Rock

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by Tumu Rock » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:02 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! dat brooklyn bum (sorry, couldn't resist Zack) Looks like fun! --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Zachariah Mully wrote:
> > > Sometimes you simply get stuck, really really badly, like I did on
my TransAm Trail trip. Three of us couldn't budge it... Moral of the story, look before you ride, I foolishly thought I could cross this road, and didn't stop to check how deep the mud was (about 3.5' I found out ;) :
> > http://zaphod.smartbrief.com/pics/tat/ > > Luckily a nice farmer was able to help out. > > Z > DC > A5X > A12X

Tumu Rock

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by Tumu Rock » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:13 pm

Ummm...not since BMW got spanked by KTM in 2000 (or was it 2001?). GS's *used to* run in the Dakar. Now they just watch in awe with all the KLR riders. dat brooklyn bum
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, imperial-4776@w... wrote: > > > My point about GS's v KLR's in the Dakar still stands, Whether they be modified or not, is not important to me, the fact of the matter is that the GS's does run in the Dakar. > > Dave > Oregon > Peeling his GS sticker off of his locker, sharpish like.

Russell Scott

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by Russell Scott » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:52 pm

KTM is going to have an American Dakar team this year with SoCal off-road legends Larry Rosseler and Paul Krause leading the charge. R DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR650 vs GS1100 Ummm...not since BMW got spanked by KTM in 2000 (or was it 2001?). GS's *used to* run in the Dakar. Now they just watch in awe with all the KLR riders. dat brooklyn bum
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, imperial-4776@w... wrote: > > > My point about GS's v KLR's in the Dakar still stands, Whether they be modified or not, is not important to me, the fact of the matter is that the GS's does run in the Dakar. > > Dave > Oregon > Peeling his GS sticker off of his locker, sharpish like.

ron criswell

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by ron criswell » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:33 pm

I don't think I have ever gotten over the European ...... ah ........ goofy concept of left side kick start on dirt machines. I think it has forever corrupted me into thinking they know what they are doing. And the mucho higher price. The new KTM wonder dual sport v twin machine is what ..... still over 500 pounds. I still am waiting for someone to get this dual sport stuff right. Until then I'll just get by with my unglamorous KLR. Buell,....... now there is a reeeaaal creative designer of machinery. It is amazing what he does with outdated motors. Wish he would test his talent toward dirt. Wish someone would give him a modren motor. Criswell Russell Scott wrote:
> KTM is going to have an American Dakar team this year with SoCal off-road legends Larry Rosseler and Paul Krause leading the charge. > R > -----Original Message----- > From: Tumu Rock [SMTP:guymanbro@...] > Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 2:14 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR650 vs GS1100 > > Ummm...not since BMW got spanked by KTM in 2000 (or was it 2001?). > GS's *used to* run in the Dakar. Now they just watch in awe with all > the KLR riders. > > dat brooklyn bum > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, imperial-4776@w... wrote: > > > > > > My point about GS's v KLR's in the Dakar still stands, Whether they > be modified or not, is not important to me, the fact of the matter is > that the GS's does run in the Dakar. > > > > Dave > > Oregon > > Peeling his GS sticker off of his locker, sharpish like. > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

ron criswell

klr650 vs gs1100

Post by ron criswell » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:55 pm

If the Japanese felt it was that important to win the Paris Daktar for sales, they would do it as they have motocross, supercross, and road racing championships. Criswell the anti kraut imperial-4776@... wrote:
> A Mig jet fighter, can't fly to the moon, so does that make the Mig a > bad bird of war ? ... I think not. > > An Emu can't fly, but does that make an emu's wings less appealing come > BBQ time .. I think not. > > Time can't go backwards, but does that make time useless .. I think not. > > My point about GS's v KLR's in the Dakar still stands, Whether they be > modified or not, is not important to me, the fact of the matter is that > the GS's does run in the Dakar. > > Dave > Oregon > Peeling his GS sticker off of his locker, sharpish like. > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/