darien vs. roadcrafter nklr

Post by Backroad Bandit » Fri Nov 17, 2000 11:42 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Conall O'Brien" wrote:
> Motoport has a booth at the Cycle World Int'l show. I went last
weekend in
> San Mateo CA. You'll be able to see the 2 pc. DIFI Ultra 2 jacket
and pants
> which I also use. No other jacket comes close to the protection of
the Ultra 2. > Conall Hey, Conall, I missed the show this year, I was doing the first service on my new Bandit. It took a few hours to get at the valves. But to set the 16 of them, was way easier than doing the KLR's 4. I've gone the last six years, I think, and last year I checked out those same pieces, wished I would have bought a piece or two....looks like nice stuff. My problem with their suits (and almost everyone else's) is that I'm a little over 6'4", and no one-piece suit off- the-rack fits, too short between shoulders and pelvis, which is where it scrunches up when you mount a bike. I liked their stuff, though. Did you see the new Bonnevile, and if so, what can you report to us news-hungry listers?

Conall O'Brien

Post by Conall O'Brien » Sat Nov 18, 2000 12:15 am

>From: "Backroad Bandit" >To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com >Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Darien vs. Roadcrafter NKLR >Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 05:42:08 -0000 > >--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Conall O'Brien" wrote: > > Motoport has a booth at the Cycle World Int'l show. I went last >weekend in > > San Mateo CA. You'll be able to see the 2 pc. DIFI Ultra 2 jacket >and pants > > which I also use. No other jacket comes close to the protection of >the Ultra 2. > Conall > >Hey, Conall, I missed the show this year, I was doing the first >service on my new Bandit. It took a few hours to get at the valves. >But to set the 16 of them, was way easier than doing the KLR's 4. >I've gone the last six years, I think, and last year I checked out >those same pieces, wished I would have bought a piece or two....looks >like nice stuff. My problem with their suits (and almost everyone >else's) is that I'm a little over 6'4", and no one-piece suit off- >the-rack fits, too short between shoulders and pelvis, which is where >it scrunches up when you mount a bike. I liked their stuff, though. > >Did you see the new Bonnevile, and if so, what can you report to us >news-hungry listers? >
I didn't pay much attention to the Bonneville. I like the looks of Kawis' W650 better but Triumph stole the limelight with the Bonneville. I liked the blue and white BMW 1150GS, KTM LC8, the '01 ZRX 1200 and the '01 Concourse the best. Corbin was there looking for investors, if they can sell the Sparrow in Europe/Asia I think they should do pretty well... My two month retirement is over, I just took a engineering tech position at Lam Research here in Fremont so I may have a new bike in the picture soon. Conall _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at http://profiles.msn.com

k650dsn@aol.com

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Sat Nov 18, 2000 9:03 am

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Backroad Bandit" wrote:>
> Did you see the new Bonnevile, and if so, what can you report to us > news-hungry listers?
The GM at the local Triumph /Honda/BMW/Kawi shop told me that the Bonnie, although it looks cobbled together, will sell mostly do to name recognition. He thinks that W650 is the better bike, but the Triumph will sell like hotcakes because it is simply a Triumph twin. Gino

Ralph E. Hanson

Post by Ralph E. Hanson » Sat Nov 18, 2000 9:25 am

On the Motoport v. Aerostich debate: Motojournalist Art Friedman of the bright orange helmet has always sung the Motoport praises, especially for people who live in hotter, drier climates. My personal feeling is that there is little differenc in quality but a fairly big difference in philosophy. The Aerostich is for people like me who want one garment that will work pretty well in any circumstance. (I have a hi-viz Darien with pants.) The Motoport (sport?) is for people who want a garment that is excellent most of the time, but somewhat less functional in cold, wet weather. The most important thing is that you buy something that you like and that you will wear every time you ride. We are fortunate to live in a land of choice and abundance! Ralph By the way, I've been suffering from a cold throat riding in 30 degree weather lately. Any suggestions? Thinking about a wind triangle. Ralph E. Hanson 99 KRL 650 http://www.wvu.edu/~journal2

Karl Raupp

Post by Karl Raupp » Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:01 am

> >
always felt that
> > the engineering of the Motoport is underrated. > > > > Stuart >>
Are there any crash stories about the Motoport stuff? Now that the new Bee-muh is on the way, I must be assilmilated and get a proper riding suit, and I was thinking the one piece Roadcrafter. I don't like the price, but they do have good customer service and what is really selling me are the stories about crashing at speed and suffering no to very little injury. Aerostitch even has a a pic of the suit in their magazine, 80 mph get off and only a broken finger. That kind of story sells suits (and sold me). The Motoport stuff has me intriqued, but there isn't that much difference in suit pricing so that rules out using that as a deciding factor. Karl

wschase@aol.com

Post by wschase@aol.com » Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:16 am

In a message dated 11/18/2000 8:06:58 AM Pacific Standard Time, garagedoor79@... writes: << Are there any crash stories about the Motoport stuff? Now that the new Bee-muh is on the way, I must be assilmilated and get a proper riding suit, and I was thinking the one piece Roadcrafter. I don't like the price, but they do have good customer service and what is really selling me are the stories about crashing at speed and suffering no to very little injury. Aerostitch even has a a pic of the suit in their magazine, 80 mph get off and only a broken finger. That kind of story sells suits (and sold me). The Motoport stuff has me intriqued, but there isn't that much difference in suit pricing so that rules out using that as a deciding factor. Karl >> Hey Carl...the Aerostich is the MANDATORY UNIFORM OF THE DAY for all Beemer piolts!! Steve Semper Fi Dallas, Texas A14ZG1000 A14 KLR650 '00 Buell Blast (Wife's) Looking to buy either a new Buell X1 Lightning or a ZX-9R (any feedback appreciated.....and YES I know they are VERY different bikes)

Ric Merry

Post by Ric Merry » Sat Nov 18, 2000 11:22 am

Due to the fact I waited so long and paid so much for my 1 piece RC I refuse to believe it's not the best suit in the world. Tell me any different and I'm just going to cover my ears and sing to myself real loud. "LAH LAH LAH LAH LAH" However...next time I'm in the market for a suit I will definitely check out Motoport. Anyone have the URL for them ? Ric Merry NW WA 97 ZG1000 A7 KLR http://www.concours.org/ric/

Jim Nesrsta

Post by Jim Nesrsta » Sat Nov 18, 2000 2:10 pm

Ric Merry wrote:
> > Due to the fact I waited so long and paid so much for my 1 piece RC I refuse > to believe it's not the best suit in the world. Tell me any different and > I'm just going to cover my ears and sing to myself real loud. "LAH LAH LAH > LAH LAH" > However...next time I'm in the market for a suit I will definitely check out > Motoport. Anyone have the URL for them ? >
Just hung up the phone with Motoport. Their web site is www.motoport.com. I haven't heard anybody talking about the Motoport Canyon II Cordura, but it sure looks good for my needs, i.e., hot weather in San Antonio and low (comparitively speaking) price. The $269 includes two zip out liners, one "waterproof" and breathable and the other one for the cold weather. You don't have to buy a bunch of extras. I hope the quality is decent. If nobody else has tried it I guess I will be the guinea pig. It has lots of zippers too, and everybody knows you have to have lots of zippers! :} Jim N

Jim Barthell

Post by Jim Barthell » Sat Nov 18, 2000 2:25 pm

I bought one of these for my wife. I would have gotten one for myself if they had my size. I like it alot and have worn it occasionally on hot days since I could pull out the liners. My only complaint with this jacket was that it sipped on the opposite side so it always felt a little awkward, get passed that and it's a great garment. Jim
> -----Original Message----- > From: Jim Nesrsta [mailto:jimnes@...] > Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 2:11 PM > To: KLR group > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] RE: Darien vs. Roadcrafter NKLR > > > Ric Merry wrote: > > > > Due to the fact I waited so long and paid so much for my 1 > piece RC I refuse > > to believe it's not the best suit in the world. Tell me any > different and > > I'm just going to cover my ears and sing to myself real loud. > "LAH LAH LAH > > LAH LAH" > > However...next time I'm in the market for a suit I will > definitely check out > > Motoport. Anyone have the URL for them ? > > > > Just hung up the phone with Motoport. Their web site is > www.motoport.com. > I haven't heard anybody talking about the Motoport Canyon II Cordura, > but it sure looks good for my needs, i.e., hot weather in San Antonio > and low (comparitively speaking) price. The $269 includes two zip out > liners, one "waterproof" and breathable and the other one for the cold > weather. You don't have to buy a bunch of extras. I hope the quality > is decent. If nobody else has tried it I guess I will be the guinea > pig. It has lots of zippers too, and everybody knows you have to have > lots of zippers! :} > > Jim N > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > >

Don Detloff

Post by Don Detloff » Sat Nov 18, 2000 3:15 pm

Try www.motoport.com Don Detloff Fair Haven, MI A14
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Ric Merry" wrote: > Due to the fact I waited so long and paid so much for my 1 piece RC I refuse > to believe it's not the best suit in the world. Tell me any different and > I'm just going to cover my ears and sing to myself real loud. "LAH LAH LAH > LAH LAH" > However...next time I'm in the market for a suit I will definitely check out > Motoport. Anyone have the URL for them ? > > Ric Merry > NW WA > 97 ZG1000 > A7 KLR > http://www.concours.org/ric/